Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a 2012 300c that i bought at 24 000 K. I found out after i bought it that the original owner requested NOT to have a subwoofer in there for some reason. I bought the stock sub that goes in there, but after connecting it i get nothing.
The back deck is already prewired for the sub so i thought it would be as easy as just connecting it.
I have never taken this car apart so i dont even know where the stock amp is. If it has fuses in it i need to check. Or if the wires that i hooked the sub to arent even connected into the amp or even the radio.
I understand that it could be a variety of issues, but any help would be greatly appreciated, since i cant even find a wiring diagram for my car.
I will start with taking apart the back deck where the curtain is and then follow the wires down. If i have no luck im gonna take apart the radio and see whats connected there.
Thanks for your time.

·
Administrator
19,626 Posts
If it didn't have the subwoofer it won't have the amplifier. Chrysler mounted it on the underside of the rear package tray. You have to remove the underside cover to get to it. The wiring loom should be there. What I'd do is get an aftermarket amplifier and use that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I will check tomorrow during the day if it has it or not. So if it doesn't all i have to do is get an amp strong enough for that sub, and run it to the deck? Its weird that it would have the 2 plugs for the sub there but not have it connected to anything.
Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
What speaker system do you have? There were 5 available in 2012. hey were:

6 speaker base (no sub, no separate amp))
6 speaker Alpine (no sub)
10 speaker Alpine (sub)
Beats (2 subs)
Harmon Karden (sub)

All but the base will have identifying markings. For example, my 300C came with the 6 speaker Alpine system and has the Alpine logo on the front door jams. I added a sub to mine by adding a separate amp to power it. The remaining will say Alpine, beat or HK somewhere. The wiring for the sub exists in the rear of the car but the front wiring harness is different, so there is no power to the rear where you see the connectors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What speaker system do you have? There were 5 available in 2012. hey were:

6 speaker base (no sub, no separate amp))
6 speaker Alpine (no sub)
10 speaker Alpine (sub)
Beats (2 subs)
Harmon Karden (sub)

All but the base will have identifying markings. For example, my 300C came with the 6 speaker Alpine system and has the Alpine logo on the front door jams. I added a sub to mine by adding a separate amp to power it. The remaining will say Alpine, beat or HK somewhere. The wiring for the sub exists in the rear of the car but the front wiring harness is different, so there is no power to the rear where you see the connectors.
Mine has the Alpine logo on the door jams. I have 3 including the center in the front. 1 in each front door, and 2 on the rear deck. And now a sub that im trying to add.
UPDATE: I just took apart the back and didnt see an amp in there, i followed the cables from the sub and speakers all the way down to the passenger side back seat, and then came to a split where it starts going back to the battery in the trunk and going towards the front. There is like 50 cables in there ill never know which one is for the sub. I guess i could cut the wire for the sub and put an amp really close to it. I dont know how this is gonna work out :p

·
Administrator
19,626 Posts
It's not uncommon to find plugs that aren't plugged into anything on these cars.

Instead of producing 3 or 4 or 5 different harnesses, then matching the harness to a production que list; they just make the same harness for all and plug options into them or not depending on the build requirements.

I've seen the same harness that is on my SRT8, with items like the subwoofer amplifier plugged into it, on first gen base model cars. There was never a sub amp plugged into them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi,

You have the six speaker Alpine system, same as my car. There is no center front speaker, even though the grill is there, so you have two 3.5" in front, two 9" in the front doors and two 9" on the rear deck. The front door speakers are not full range speakers. The rear deck speakers are full range. There is a hole on the rear deck for an 8" sub. I added a sub there along with it's own amplifier. I powered it from the battery, and got line input by tapping into the rear speakers. Here are several threads on modifying this system:

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/ca...ation-alpine-6-speaker-upgrade-questions.html

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/ca...ation/102569-need-some-audio-advice-help.html

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/ca...44762-alpine-mopar-kicker-upgrade-review.html

Phil

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi,

You have the six speaker Alpine system, same as my car. There is no center front speaker, even though the grill is there, so you have two 3.5" in front, two 9" in the front doors and two 9" on the rear deck. The front door speakers are not full range speakers. The rear deck speakers are full range. There is a hole on the rear deck for an 8" sub. I added a sub there along with it's own amplifier. I powered it from the battery, and got line input by tapping into the rear speakers. Here are several threads on modifying this system:

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/ca...ation-alpine-6-speaker-upgrade-questions.html

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/ca...ation/102569-need-some-audio-advice-help.html

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/ca...44762-alpine-mopar-kicker-upgrade-review.html

Phil
Thanks Phil!! that actually helped alot.
How many watts did you have in your new amp (i cant find out how many watts the stock sub requires)? the back speakers receive full range so you didnt lose any bass?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts