Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 2011 Chrysler 300C with the upgraded Alpine system. Even though the system includes an 8" sub, I'm disappointed with the bass output. I don't need a ton of bass, but I'd like a little more thump out of it. I'm trying to avoid putting a sub in an enclosure in the trunk. I don't mind adding an amp for it, but I'm hoping that I can get a better sub that can just be used to replace the stock 8" sub. Any recommendations? Thanks.

·
Administrator
13,066 Posts
JL has some 8" subs and I've always liked JL products. The only thing to be certain of is the mounting depth and amp output (watts and ohms) so your subwoofer will perform as designed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Best advise find a local stereo place and listen to them! All depends on the type of music you listen to and placement in vehicle! There are plenty of good subs out there. JL Audio, Rockford, Memphis subs are pretty decent and tend to be cheaper! Its all in what you want them to do!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes i would say thats the first thing to replace is the amp!! Stock amp is not going to push good speakers! With that being said some companys make sensitive subs that thump really well on low watt amps! Just gotta shop around.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm prepared to replace the woofer and install a dedicated mono amp. Would it be better to put it in the trunk or could I mount it to the rear deck where the "upgraded" 8" woofer is now? Would I really get better performance with a deck mounted subwoofer and dedicated amp or am I going to have to take up trunk space with an enclosure in the trunk? I'd prefer to leave as much room in the trunk as possible, but I also don't want to spend money putting another 8" woofer in the deck and not really getting a lot of benefit.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Not sure if this will help or is what your wanting, but my 07 SRT8 has a "Kicker" sub mounted in its own enclosure which tucks very nicely to the rear side panel (in trunk). Not sure if this a factory install or the previous owner install???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow. I have another thread going with the same questions..sort of. I have had my 2011 since December and could not take the poor sound anymore This past weekend, I installed the following:

JL Audio 10W0v3 Basswedge (looks really nice, can only find at the JL Audio website)
Alpine MRX-V60 5 channel amp (for future upgrading of the speakers)
Audio Control LC2i (to get a high voltage preamp output from the speakers)

This setup really fills in the low end of the sound spectrum. I listen to everything from Lincoln Park to Prince to Jay Z and it is pretty solid. Need to really tune the bass as it can be overpowering in this setup. What I really like is the fact that it is barely audible outside the vehicle but can make the mirrors shake inside the vehicle.

Wiring can be a little intimidating so need to find a good wiring diagram. I used Crutchfield for my LC2i purchase and they were pretty spot on with the wiring diagram. Because of my full range amp, I needed a full range signal to tap into and unfortunatly had to go all the way to the amp to find it.

Hope this helps as it worked for me and i have prepared myself for replacing the crappy upgraded Alpine system. Tweeters are probably next.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Natisfaction. I'd love to see a pic of the sub and amp to see how much space it takes up. One of my biggest concerns is creating too much bass that it leads to creating rattles on the interior.

·
Administrator
13,066 Posts
Agent 007 - That is a factory setup available as the Kicker Accessory package.

abd1 - I tried a small sub mounted in the package tray (there's a hole there for that) but it didn't work too well as there was no easy way to seal it. Free air subs just don't seem to perform.

You can get a thin mounting depth subwoofer with excellent characteristics from JL Audio. In the appropriate sized sealed box, it will take up very little room in your trunk.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with MADDOG the free air subs don't really perform like a sub in a sealed or ported box. I have a kicker 8 inch free air sub and it is powered to the specs and doesn't do much.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I guess no one here has ever heard of DC Audio. They have some BEEFY ass little 8's. They're recommended RMS is 600 watts but can handle more. These little guys can get down. Bunch of vids on youtube. Look up "DC lvl 2 8" They also require very little air space. .8 cu for ported and .5 sealed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts