Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening

Those with long enough memories may recall that I started work about 12 months ago on changing the colour of the 300C ELD using one I had obtained from a wrecker.

In the intervening period of time I have learnt a lot more about ELDs than I ever wanted to really know and have had the thing sitting on my office work bench and had several plays with it when time has allowed.

I had managed quite early in the piece to get alternate shades of the factory colour but it has taken quite some time to achieve a complete colour change.

Fundamentally ELDs traditionally produiced a given colour based on the materials they were constructed from but in the modern era of multi colour ELD's the control of colour is a function of voltage regulation and a couple of programmable chips.

The results below are the first efforts from using the chips and some wire splicing and although it is not yet where I want it to be it is getting close.

Please note the pics are taken with the display at full brightness in a darkened car - a couple are a bit fuzzy but you get that with long exposures hand held.

Cheers
Russ

Attachments

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Well done!!!!

I have been silently hoping you were still working on this :)

I would love to get blue in my car :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hi Russ

Great work!
Did you program different codes to change colour or adjust the control voltage for the colour variation?
Looks neat.
Cheers

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hey Russ, awesome stuff! It's great that you are so interested in finding out about these things.

I'm really after the stealth look for my car, can you do a Chrysler 'steel blue' background:biggrin:

·
Registered
981 Posts
Looking good Russ amazing :fing02: I dare not ask what the next project will be once you have done and dusted this one:pat:
Cheers Frank

·
Registered
933 Posts
I actually remember you posting this originally. None of those colour take my fancy but full points for perservering!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am aiming to get it to the point where there are 4 switchable colours - from what I have gathered thus far it should actually be achievable it is just a matter of hitting on the right voltage and programming combinations to get the desired shades. The blue actually looks quite nice dimmed as does the orange but the other too aren't to my taste either. Unfortunately those two are also at either end of the programming spectrum (as far as I can tell) but I've not been able to achieve red and a light purple which were my original target colours - but it is only a matter of time.

One of the interesting things about ELDs is that they require quite a substantial power driver to make them work but once in place it is then possible to use that driver to run what is known as ELD wire. It's extremely thin tubing that looks a bit like the very early fibre optic cable which can be used as either a transmissive light source or an ambient one and I am keen on playing with that further.

Cheers
Russ

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Well when you are happy with the setup I would love the details......bring on blue :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
now one question, if you change the colour of the speedometer what happens to rest of the stuff like the A/C and so on.... they stay the same as original or they change too???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts