Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. This is my first time ever being on a forum, so I have no idea if I am posting this in the correct area or anything. Anyways, on to my problem (I'll try to be as specific as possible)

Last night, my car started getting abnormally warm. I was not romping on it or anything, just cruising down a country road at 60mph. I look down and my temp gauge is almost touching the red line. So I put the heat on blast and rolled the windows down until I got home. I shut the car down and popped the hood, and there were no noticeable leaks, odors, sounds, or anything else out of the ordinary. I let it sit overnight.

Today I went out and saw the coolant level was just below the minimum at cool temp line. So I drove to get Zerex G-05. I picked it up, and my engine was just as hot as it was last night. So I popped the hood again, and noticed the reservoir was almost full to the top.

I am wondering what could cause the radiator to puke the coolant back out like that. There is no white smoke from burning coolant, there is no bubbling in the reservoir with the car running, there again are no drips, smells, sounds, lack of performance, etc.

I checked the fan blades and everything and they are fully operational. I am going to start by getting a new thermostat and pressure testing the block. Is there anything else I can do in the meantime to help? Or anything else that might be causing the problem?

Sorry for writing a long post. Haha

·
Administrator
19,626 Posts
Get a new thermostat and replace it. Make sure the flange bleed hole is pointed upwards.

When was the last time the coolant was replaced?

Check all hoses to make sure one isn't collapsing on you. Best way to do that is turn on the get it to temperature, let the Tstat open then check the hoses.

Lastly, it sound like you may have some air entrained in the system (low level in recovery tank, then higher level) so to fix this right next to where the thermostat housing is, there is a 1/4" 18 NPT pipe plug in the water pump. It's an allen wrench, but I forget the size. Remove the plug and then fill the system with coolant mix until it dribbles out of the water pump fill hole. Replace the plug (I put teflon tape on the threads--careful to keep it to the threads and not too long) and keep filling the reservoir. This will force the air out of the system.

Run the car with the recovery tank cap off and watch the level. You may see a few more bubbles come up. Shut it down, put in enough coolant to put it at the hot/full level, cap it and let it cool off. Check the level again in the morning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright will do. I can't get the part until Thursday, so is it safe for me to drive to work and back until then? I only have to drive about 2 miles. And the temp won't even get halfway up the gauge by then.

·
Administrator
19,626 Posts
Just check the coolant level often. You can "burp" the system anytime and I'd suggest you give that a try soon. Open that valve near the water pump and add coolant directly to the radiator with that valve open.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just check the coolant level often. You can "burp" the system anytime and I'd suggest you give that a try soon. Open that valve near the water pump and add coolant directly to the radiator with that valve open.
can you put a picture please im not sure about wich plug you talk ... and i have recently replace my tstast

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
If you are replacing go with the motorad 180 deg....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts