Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having some air conditioning temperature issues, so I'm going to replace the sun sensor on the top of the dash by the windshield. Has anyone done this before so they can guide me? I'd hate to just pull on stuff and break tabs, etc.

· Registered
179 Posts
That square black box on the windshield behind the rear view mirror is a Humidity sensor, and when it goes bad, it causes all sorts of problem with the a/c.

Be VERY careful when try to remove the plastic cover because the rest of the humidity sensor is permanently glued to the windshield, so if you remove it incorrectly you could damage the windshield - I don't know exactly how the windshield will be damaged, but I heard its not a good thing..

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That square black box on the windshield behind the rear view mirror is a Humidity sensor, and when it goes bad, it causes all sorts of problem with the a/c.

Be VERY careful when try to remove the plastic cover because the rest of the humidity sensor is permanently glued to the windshield, so if you remove it incorrectly you could damage the windshield - I don't know exactly how the windshield will be damaged, but I heard its not a good thing..
Thank you for the reply, but I'm referring to the sunlight sensor on the dash, not the humidity sensor behind the mirror.

· Premium Member
1,620 Posts
I may be wrong, but that sensor calls for the headlights to come on, it has nothing to do with the A/C.
My dealer explained that the sun sensor was part of a module that included a "multiswitch". All I know is that they replaced the sun sensor/multiswitch and fixed my 2012 trying to boil me or freeze me.

It did not fix the sun sensor problem! The sun sensor on my 2012 was ridiculously insensitive. I could have my sun visor down, my sunglasses on, and all of a sudden it turned on the headlights and dimmed my dash so I couldn't even see it. My 2020 has no such problem. The 1st gen 300 reputedly had an adjustment for the sun sensor, but that sadly went away in the 2nd gen 300.

· Registered
174 Posts
My dealer explained that the sun sensor was part of a module that included a "multiswitch". All I know is that they replaced the sun sensor/multiswitch and fixed my 2012 trying to boil me or freeze me.

It did not fix the sun sensor problem! The sun sensor on my 2012 was ridiculously insensitive. I could have my sun visor down, my sunglasses on, and all of a sudden it turned on the headlights and dimmed my dash so I couldn't even see it. My 2020 has no such problem. The 1st gen 300 reputedly had an adjustment for the sun sensor, but that sadly went away in the 2nd gen 300.

My 300C (2007) automatically turns on the headlights during the day, but not with brightness of the sun, but with the glare.

It is very sunny here (Perth, Western Australia) and they never come on before about 5PM. But if I go out and sun is at that angle where is very hard to see, my headlights come on, I just assumed that because I was squinting/hard to see, it did it so people could see me.

Maybe not? But here, in that situation, it helps; although, yes, dimmer dash lights. With the 2007 white dash dials, not a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts