Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2,296 Posts
Yes..but only

when I stick my finger up and hit the button to open the sunroof...other then that, no problems or glitches with my sunroof so far. Goodluck at figuring out what caused this malfunction.

· Premium Member
4,783 Posts
I don't have a sunroof. :biggrin: No problems here. :cool:

What is the difference between a Sunroof and a Moonroof?

· Premium Member
10,879 Posts
FreebirdSRT said:
I don't have a sunroof. :biggrin: No problems here. :cool:

What is the difference between a Sunroof and a Moonroof?
My guess is... The moonroof is "darker"...

Have had no unexplained opening in our H.E. Like FB no such gizmo in our Blue.

· Registered
2,684 Posts
lets hope it doesnt randomly open when its raining ahah

i always thought they were the same thing...however i did a little search and.....

A sunroof is opaque (usually flush metal with the body color on the outside). This roof can either tilt open to vent, slide open to let in light, or both. It is called a sunroof because the opacity prevents the sun from heating up the vehicle. These have existed for quite some time.

In the 1970s, Ford introduced a glass sunroof that they named the Moonroof (actually, the American Sunroof Company, the company that made all domestic sunroofs and now known as American Specialty Cars invented it, but Ford was the first to install it). So to answer the question, a moonroof is a sunroof made of glass.

The problem is, the distinction is becoming lost as more and more people use it incorrectly (some on this website, it seems) Most people today just consider any sort of hole in the roof a sunroof. But in the strictest sense, sunroof=metal, moonroof=glass.

www.answerbag.com

· Banned
6,075 Posts
kevenj said:
I believe they call the type with the glass a 'moonroof' and kind that is metal a 'sunroof'. Never had either one before and was skeptical but now that i have it on my 300C I do like it.

Actually the correct definition is: a sunroof opens "outside" the roof and typically are metal, but some are glass.

A moonroof opens inside the headliner, like ours.....

· Registered
14,838 Posts
phillips2024 said:
lets hope it doesnt randomly open when its raining ahah

i always thought they were the same thing...however i did a little search and.....

A sunroof is opaque (usually flush metal with the body color on the outside). This roof can either tilt open to vent, slide open to let in light, or both. It is called a sunroof because the opacity prevents the sun from heating up the vehicle. These have existed for quite some time.

In the 1970s, Ford introduced a glass sunroof that they named the Moonroof (actually, the American Sunroof Company, the company that made all domestic sunroofs and now known as American Specialty Cars invented it, but Ford was the first to install it). So to answer the question, a moonroof is a sunroof made of glass.

The problem is, the distinction is becoming lost as more and more people use it incorrectly (some on this website, it seems) Most people today just consider any sort of hole in the roof a sunroof. But in the strictest sense, sunroof=metal, moonroof=glass.

www.answerbag.com
Excellent lesson on the differences there dude! I kind of wondered what the difference was and thought it was dependent on the vehicle make. Like Ford called them one thing and DCX called them something else.

I’ve not had any mysterious openings of my moonroof. I think it has only been open once since I’ve had her. :D

· Registered
14,838 Posts
Loaded said:
update:

It does it if i hold the the volume control steering wheel button half way down for longer then a few seconds....

Freaking weird man
That is strange. Maybe you have the unique finger tip control moonroof feature that DCX thought about putting on our cars, but scrapped due to logistical problems. Either that or a really bad short. Good luck! :fing02:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts