Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone haveing a problem with sunroof. Mine is creaking and makes a popping sound as if the roof is torquing or something. The dealer tried and after 2 days said they fixed it and it is worse

·
Registered
172 Posts
JPB68 said:
Anyone haveing a problem with sunroof. Mine is creaking and makes a popping sound as if the roof is torquing or something. The dealer tried and after 2 days said they fixed it and it is worse
I'm having the same issue with my sunroof...also my roof seems not to line up right. the driver's rear corner of the sunroof is a little lower than the other side it almost looks as if it not completely up. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet. Do you know what they did?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. don't know what they did.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Have had a few sun roof issues over the last year. One is the rubber will rub against the roof around the edges. Armorall type stuff seems to help. Another problem I had was that a screw that held the mechanism up had fallen down and was rattling around - after many a trip to the dealer they finally found it and fixed it. Right now I have a broken part. At the back of the sunroof there is a plastic piece that extends from side to side. It moves when you open or vent the roof. I think it is used to keep water dripping in the back. It has snapped off on both sides and is just sitting up there and rattling around. Part is ordered and coming in next week. Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
All 2005/2006 LX Vehicles equipped with Sunroof

Symptom: Metallic sunroof rattle

Diagnosis: Rattle occurs when driving on a rough road, is a metallic noise, can be moderate to severe and typically occurs after 6000 miles. Rattle can be duplicated by tapping/pounding up on the sunroof glass panel.

Repair: Inspect the four glass adjusting fasteners under the side mechanism covers. If the glass adjusting fasteners are loose re-torque and test drive the vehicle and check for rattle. If the fasteners are secured the headliner must be removed and the twelve sunroof module fasteners must be removed. Add red Loctite to the fasteners, reinstall, then torque to 9NM +/- 1NM.

Note that the 2005/2006 service manuals incorrectly list 6NM as the torque specification...

2006 Dodge Charger equipped with Sunroof (models built before 9/16/05)

Symptom: Headliner rattle rearward of the sunroof opening.

Diagnosis: Rattle occurs when driving on a fairly rough road and can be duplicated by lightly tapping on the headliner rearward of the sunroof opening. The root cause of the rattle is a loose (unsecured) cardboard stiffener on the headliner substrate.

Repair: Drop the headliner from the sunroof trim lace at the rear of the opening. Inspect to see if the headliner stiffener is secured to the headliner substrate. If the stiffener is loose remove it. The stiffener can be removed by prying up using a fiber/trim stick. Start at one end and work across car to fully disengage the stiffener and remove it. The stiffener is only used on the Charger and is only required for plant processing.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had a problem with the sun roof about a month ago. Would notice a funny sound when going over bumps and etc. Problem seemed to work it's way out. Haven't noticed the problem lately and haven't took it to the dealer. But If I ever notice it again. Will take it in with the quickness.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I've had sunroof/moonroof units in prior vehicles; i.e., Lincoln 'Mk IV' and Cadillac 'Coupe De Ville' & 'Seville', and I vowed never to get another car with one again. They were nice when they worked, but all in all, they were nothing but a continual problem. :no:

·
Registered
265 Posts
ResumeSpeed said:
All 2005/2006 LX Vehicles equipped with Sunroof

Symptom: Metallic sunroof rattle

Diagnosis: Rattle occurs when driving on a rough road, is a metallic noise, can be moderate to severe and typically occurs after 6000 miles. Rattle can be duplicated by tapping/pounding up on the sunroof glass panel.

Repair: Inspect the four glass adjusting fasteners under the side mechanism covers. If the glass adjusting fasteners are loose re-torque and test drive the vehicle and check for rattle. If the fasteners are secured the headliner must be removed and the twelve sunroof module fasteners must be removed. Add red Loctite to the fasteners, reinstall, then torque to 9NM +/- 1NM.

Note that the 2005/2006 service manuals incorrectly list 6NM as the torque specification...

2006 Dodge Charger equipped with Sunroof (models built before 9/16/05)

Symptom: Headliner rattle rearward of the sunroof opening.

Diagnosis: Rattle occurs when driving on a fairly rough road and can be duplicated by lightly tapping on the headliner rearward of the sunroof opening. The root cause of the rattle is a loose (unsecured) cardboard stiffener on the headliner substrate.

Repair: Drop the headliner from the sunroof trim lace at the rear of the opening. Inspect to see if the headliner stiffener is secured to the headliner substrate. If the stiffener is loose remove it. The stiffener can be removed by prying up using a fiber/trim stick. Start at one end and work across car to fully disengage the stiffener and remove it. The stiffener is only used on the Charger and is only required for plant processing.
Is this a listed TSB with Chrysler? If so what's the TSB number? I have this problem and it's highly irritating and I would love to get it fixed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts