Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunroof Squeaks, Rattles, Etc Post here

I have had nothing but annoyances with the sunroof on my 300c. The rubber surround creaks and makes noise when the body flexes going down rough streets or into gas station driveways. It also appears to have some sort of creak coming from the cloth cover. The creak only happens with the sunroof is completely closed, and the cloth cover slid all the way back exposing the glass moonroof.

My car is at the dealer today for the second time in regards to this issue and I am really starting to wish I had not got the sunroof option. My dealer had the balls to try and blame it on my wheels, at which point I reminded him that unless he wishes to drag me into court over such a BS issue, he should not bring up such things because they just anger me. Yeah..... My wheels are causing the rubber on the sunroof to creak..... :rolleyes:

How many of you experience noises from your sunroof?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have not experienced it as I have not received my C yet....but

My car recently got put into BG status. Dealer said it was because of low stock of NAV units. I think others had the same problem as well. When I called DCX yesterday they told me also had some Sunroof problems. Not sure if that meant out of stock or manufacture has to fix a problem.

-Just an FYI

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
rogue said:
How many of you experience noises from your sunroof?
Yep, exact same noise. If you close the sun shade it goes away. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking of putting some type of silicone lube just on the edge of the rubber seal. It's definately from flex and the movement of the rubber. Any little noise like this just annoys the hell out of me.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JonW said:
Yep, exact same noise. If you close the sun shade it goes away. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking of putting some type of silicone lube just on the edge of the rubber seal. It's definately from flex and the movement of the rubber. Any little noise like this just annoys the hell out of me.
I have lubed the rubber a few times with silicone and it usually helps for a bit. What I find interesting, is that the noises cease when the cloth sunshade is pulled forward an inch or two for a bit. Eventually the noises continue, and moving the sunshade back again stops it for a bit longer.

Its severely annoying and especially since I cannot replicate it consistently to track down the cause. Perhaps there is a decal on the inside of the headliner that is sticking to the sunshade or something silly like that.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have the same problem(s). First there is the squeeky rubber of the sun roof. Lubing it makes it go away for a while but it eventually comes back. My last car did the same thing. The second noise is a rattle from a little further back in between the liner and the roof behind the sun roof. It comes and goes and is very hard to isolate. When the sun roof is vented it goes away. Also if I wedge my hand in between the sliding visor and the liner it goes away. Also if you pull the sliding thing all the way forward and cover up the sun roof it does it less. Its in the shop for this right now. They were going to pull the liner but stopped and are on the phone with Chrysler to make sure they do not mess up side air bags, etc. I have complained about this three times and it was not until I started yelling that they looked at it. I'll keep you posted. As of right now nothing has been fixed.

Bob

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had been reading about the sunroof rattle/squeak since the day I got my C. I didn't think I had the problem. I have 4000 miles on it now and just started to notice. It may be that until now I've had it open just about all the time. Now that it is getting cooler I tend to keep it closed in the morning and night. If it starts to make the squeak (never had a rattle) I close/open it and it seems to go away. I also noticed with the shade closed I don't hear it. Don't know if the shade is blocking the noise from getting through or if it is part of the problem.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lets keep this on top because it seems like a common issues. Perhaps we should crosspost this in the dodgemagum.com forum and get some people on board. The more people we have complaining about the issue, the easier it will be to get our dealers to address the issue.

I'll bring this post into my dealer tonight so he can see that its becoming a common issue with the 300c's.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Unlike you guys, I have a rattle only when it is open. I stick my fingers in between the open glass and the shade and the rattle stops. I really don't want the dealer to take the whole thing apart as you can be assured, they will screw up the roof lining not to mention them getting their greasy hands all over the almost white color lining. It's like a double edge sword, I want nothing but perfection, yet I don't want it worse than it is.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the same slight rattle from my sun roof. Goes away for a while if the sunshade is brought forward about an inch and then pushed back.
Let us know if anyone finds a fix

·
Registered
272 Posts
i talked about rattle on my car when roof is in vent position before in another string somewhere. but, here was my prob again. there is a black plastic guide (?) at rear of sunroof under roof of car that does protrude slightly in sunroof area. while riding with roof in "vent" position i put my hand under the black plactic guide slightly exerting pressure. that stopped the rattle. my dealer didn't know of any problems with guide or if any type of clamp or support was missing (car too new). there was no rattle in any other postion of the roof. anyway, he used a double sided sticky piece of foam about one inch long, one inch wide and about 1/2" thick under the black plastic frame and that stopped the rattle. its been about 2 months now and no problems.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Well the dealer talked with Chrysler engineers. They are hearing about this rattle but no fix yet. I told dealer not to pull off liner cause that will create more problems. I bet its coming from the piece of plastic back behind the sun visor pull thing. Told the dealer to put some felt or foam on it but they did not do it.

Bob

·
Registered
272 Posts
rdmac said:
Well the dealer talked with Chrysler engineers. They are hearing about this rattle but no fix yet. I told dealer not to pull off liner cause that will create more problems. I bet its coming from the piece of plastic back behind the sun visor pull thing. Told the dealer to put some felt or foam on it but they did not do it.

Bob
too bad, at least it worked for me. you could do it yourself. while riding and rattle is present, just raise your hand up and slide it under the black plastic thingy to rear of opening. if rattle stops then thats the prob. thats what my dealer and i did.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have had this problem since day one, though I believe it has something to do with the sunroof rails that extend back into the roof itself, rather than the cover. Try this: Take your car out of a cool garage and park it in the sun. Be quiet and LISTEN. In my car, you can actually hear a metal/metal clinking sound as something expands in the roof. It's the same kind of sound I get when I creep over a driveway dip or a bump in the road. What you guys describe sounds more like something in the cover. But in my car, it's something else. Since the dealer didn't knwo what to do about it, I bit my tongue and said I'd wait a while, or at least until the weather got cool enough that it made the problem worse (which it has). I was hoping to find an answer here, but apparently we're not talking about the same issue. Odd.

Michael

·
Registered
331 Posts
Magnesium

Maybe it is the same issue. When it is cooler outside my rattle gets worse. When the temp is in the 80s it goes away. Also goes away when I vent the sun roof or stick my hand in between visor and the bottom of the roof. Well I took a piece of foam and stuck it in where I just described my hand went. The noise goes away. Just can't move the visor in and out cause the foam is just wedged in. I never close it anyhow. I have just finished step one of solving the problem. If this continues to work, I'll figure a way to make it permanent. You know I showed the dealer and asked him to try sticking something in there. They said they would but did not. Do not see what the big deal was.

Bob

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
magnesium said:
I have had this problem since day one, though I believe it has something to do with the sunroof rails that extend back into the roof itself, rather than the cover. Try this: Take your car out of a cool garage and park it in the sun. Be quiet and LISTEN. In my car, you can actually hear a metal/metal clinking sound as something expands in the roof. It's the same kind of sound I get when I creep over a driveway dip or a bump in the road. What you guys describe sounds more like something in the cover. But in my car, it's something else. Since the dealer didn't knwo what to do about it, I bit my tongue and said I'd wait a while, or at least until the weather got cool enough that it made the problem worse (which it has). I was hoping to find an answer here, but apparently we're not talking about the same issue. Odd.

Michael
Michael I agree 100% that this issue is warmth dependent. On a very hot day, my sunroof is pretty quiet. I have found that when it is cold out, I can take my hand and push up on the glass and the rubber surround makes the exact noises I am hearing, except even louder.

I believe that this issue has to do with the choice of rubber they used for the sunroof surround. They need to use a more matte and pourous rubber. The rubber they used is sqeaky and hard, it should be soft and create a quiet seal.

Closing the cloth sunshade quiets everything down simply because it is adding a layer of sound insulation to hide the noise. If I listen carefully, the sunroof rubber makes the same noises even when the shade is shut.

I informed my service manager that apparently I am not alone, and that other dealers are having the same problem isolating the problem. Hopefully DC will issue a TSB or recall soon, to supply new rubber, or whatever is causing this issue.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Had my car into the dealer for my rattle. Mine happens only when it is open. I actually was with the mechanic checking it out. We determined that the rattle is near the front right portion of the track under the open sunshade where there is a plastic clip that slides on the track.

He said he would have to take the headliner down. I toldhim that at this stage that is not an option. There is no way that the whole thing would be put back together the way it came from the factory and that I will live with the rattle until maybe Chrysler gets a clue as to what the problem may be.

It really sucks. As I'm sure you all agree, it's one thing if the sunroof leaked or didn'twork at all, but for a rattle, I just don't want them screwing things up.

Did anyone have any luck getting there rattle fixed. Please update.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts