Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - strange noises from the suspension (I think).
Pressing the brake fairly firmly when moving forward produces a "clunk" sound
(doesn't happen in reverse though).

Seems to be similar to the clunk (from the front I think) when going up something like a speed bump. It doesn't make this noise when coming down a bump though.

No doubt it's hopefully been seen before, but I'd welcome any thoughts or wisdom before I get fleeced (again) at the garage!

Please assume I am a suspension novice and not familiar with the terminology...

Thank you.

Best regards
Matt.
300C CRD SE 2010.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Check your motor mounts.

·
Premium Member
4,950 Posts
Check the anti roll bar bushings.

·
Registered
841 Posts
or the tension/torsion strut. ie the bar that is diagonal. It may seam tight but a bit of free play in the bushes is hard to detect.
To test the anti roll bar, drop one side off & go for a ride, still the same? drop the other side off? If it still clonks it can be wishbones.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If it happens at slow speed ( when you coming to a stop ) it could be either inner or outer track rod ends.

With the car parked rock the steering wheel from slide to side gently and listen for a clunking noise .

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I too have this problem, your not alone. It worries the hell out of me. So far I haven't been able to resolve it and I'm beginning to think it's something major with the brakes.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
If you live in an area with snow and salt check your motor mounts as the studs are probably gone/deteriorated. I had the issue and my mounts were bad. I replaced all three and now it is smooth sailing again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am dealing with the same issue right now . So far I have found 3 things that need to be replaced on my vehicle . So I will share them with you as you might have the same issue. First I inspected the tie rod ends . The rubber boots around them were cracked and they were loose . Next I checked the sway bar links , same issue boots were cracked not holding grease . And finally definitely a contributing factor were the rubber bushings on my sway bar . The sway bar should not touch metal and mu bushings were so blown out that I could compress them just by pushing on my sway bar. You stated you are a novice so if your not sure where any of those parts are type each of those part name with “inspection” after on google and you tube videoed will pop up walking you through each part . All parts are right next to each other takes about 10 mins to look at them all you need to do is jack your car up and take your tire off. Total in parts it cost me 200 to replace them all . Hope this helps , best of luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts