Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Suspension Problems ????

Whats the deal with the suspension ? Is this a stock suspension issue or does everyones 300c steering wheel shake like a wet dog between 60 to 65 MPH ? I just recently got a 2005 300C-Hemi. It was used with 7k miles on it. Its currently sitting on 22's which are perfectly balanced. The Lambo doors I got are properly mounted (Hence the name PegasusC :silly: ). There are no alignment issues either. Can some one tell me what could possibly be the reason for the annoying shake to the steering wheel, from side to side, when I hit speeds from 60 to 65mph. Its not everytime, but atleast 70 percent of the time. This leads me to believe that it is a suspension issue in conjuction with road contour. Has anyone else had this problem? And how do I fix it? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you know for sure that it's not your allignment or ballancing, chances are its a tire issue. Some tires can have factory deffects like high/low spots.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Suspension Problems ????

Whats the deal with the suspension ? Is this a stock suspension issue or does everyones 300c steering wheel shake like a wet dog between 60 to 65 MPH ? I just recently got a 2005 300C-Hemi. It was used with 7k miles on it. Its currently sitting on 22's which are perfectly balanced. The Lambo doors I got are properly mounted (Hence the name PegasusC :silly: ). There are no alignment issues either. Can some one tell me what could possibly be the reason for the annoying shake to the steering wheel, from side to side, when I hit speeds from 60 to 65mph. Its not everytime, but atleast 70 percent of the time. This leads me to believe that it is a suspension issue in conjuction with road contour. Has anyone else had this problem? And how do I fix it? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
PegasusC said:
Any reason for the multiple post?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jjs said:
Any reason for the multiple post?
Sorry for the redundancy... just joined the site and figured I'm more likely to get the proper response in this forum rather than the general one. :biggrin:

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
PegasusC said:
The C is designed for 18" wheels with a combined wheel / tire weight of about 56 lbs. The shocks, springs, steering, brakes and discs are set up for this as well.

Going to 22"s is a major suspension mod - Ok for shows or maybe driving to the corner store.

For serious driving, try going back to a smaller light combo. If you keep the 22's and they are heavy, you may have to upgrade the entire suspension and brake system.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I posted a response that might be helpfull in your other post

·
Registered
179 Posts
as a matter of fact II Kings, I just got some cheap viynl overlays in blue. If that doesn't do the trick then I will get some angel eyes.

·
Registered
750 Posts
PegasusC said:
Whats the deal with the suspension ? Is this a stock suspension issue or does everyones 300c steering wheel shake like a wet dog between 60 to 65 MPH ? I just recently got a 2005 300C-Hemi. It was used with 7k miles on it. Its currently sitting on 22's which are perfectly balanced. Thanks.
I'd look again at the 22's.

I know it's a major PITA but if you swap them back to the stock setup, and the shake disappears you know it's not a suspension problem, but a wheel/tire problem.

As it's used check for prior accidents, and ifso repaired to spec. straightness.

Zilla

·
Registered
179 Posts
everyone who says 22's are too big for this car are prob running 18-20's anyways. I can't speak for anyone else, but I hardly notice a diff between the ride with 18-22's. I have my 18's and contis on now because my wheels are in the shop and I feel very little difference. Most dealers sell 300's w/ 22's on them allready, so don't believe the hype.

Stick w/the 22's and go to a real allignment/suspension shop if the tires are not your issue. I still think its prob a high spot in the tire. Are they hankooks?

·
Registered
274 Posts
HI,

My car is on the stock rims and does not shake or vibrate. I would suggest that you look for a bent rim or out of round tire. It is possible that you have a suspension problem but a wheel/ tire problem is more likely.

Phil

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
mvpatriot said:
everyone who says 22's are too big for this car are prob running 18-20's anyways. I can't speak for anyone else, but I hardly notice a diff between the ride with 18-22's. I have my 18's and contis on now because my wheels are in the shop and I feel very little difference. Most dealers sell 300's w/ 22's on them allready, so don't believe the hype.

Stick w/the 22's and go to a real allignment/suspension shop if the tires are not your issue. I still think its prob a high spot in the tire. Are they hankooks?
It's not hype. I've been modding and racing for over 4 decades. Lots of experience with upsizing wheels.

Maybe in SoCal dealers put 22's on but in Canada, most dealers won't even put 20's on. None of the dealers in my area will. DCX are very clear about oversizing as it relates to warranty issues.

There is great info in this section of the forums:

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/wheel-tire-discussion/928-ride-quality-22-20-wheels.html

·
Registered
750 Posts
Go back and look at the 22s.

Check out this thread -second post - reporting a shimmy when 20s are on disappears when 18s put back HERE

Zilla.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
MVP & Zilla got it right.

Thanks you two...I went and threw some stock wheels on there. No vibration let me know it was a wheel/tire issue (Zilla's troubleshooting Technique). Than I took MVP's advice in regards to the chances its a high spot issue. So I rotated all the suspect tires (on the rim, not the car) 180 degrees so that if the high spot of the rim was aligning with the highspot of the tire (hence the bad vibes) they would now be offset from each other. This smoothed out the ride. I must say the 22's feel the same as the 18's did with the exception of the more dominating feeling of the ride Hieght which 22's give you.
:AR15firin :banana: (Sorry...Zilla I tried to get you a bannana for the advice but I couldn't hunt it down :silly: .)

·
Registered
750 Posts
PegasusC said:
Thanks you two...I went and threw some stock wheels on there. No vibration let me know it was a wheel/tire issue (Zilla's troubleshooting Technique). Than I took MVP's advice in regards to the chances its a high spot issue. So I rotated all the suspect tires (on the rim, not the car) 180 degrees so that if the high spot of the rim was aligning with the highspot of the tire (hence the bad vibes) they would now be offset from each other. This smoothed out the ride. I must say the 22's feel the same as the 18's did with the exception of the more dominating feeling of the ride Hieght which 22's give you.
:AR15firin :banana: (Sorry...Zilla I tried to get you a bannana for the advice but I couldn't hunt it down :silly: .)
Glad ZTT helped you figure it out, make sure I get cream with that banana - mmmmmm bananas and cream - I feel hungry now. Byeeee

·
Registered
179 Posts
Glad you like the 22"s.

Yes, dealers in CA. and many other States sell 22"s mounted as an option, and my dealer claims no issues with warranty whatsoever. (I know blahblah)

The effect on the ride is little to no differn't, and I think most people who claim otherwise prob have never tried it or just don't like big wheels in general.

I'm sure there is some added weight/strain etc. but this is certainly not a safety issue.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Mine IS A 2006 AND...

shakes a bit right around 63-64. I am running Zinik Z-12's 20 x 9 with F1 super car 245/45 ZR 20's.

Thye were balanced when installed. Don;t know what the issue is. The tires only hve 2800 miles on them and seem to be showing no wear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts