Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to change rear ends but the funds aren't there currently. What's needed to swap my 07 5.7 to 3.73 gears or maybe something slightly less aggressive? I'm stock other than header's and gutted cats so 3.73 is probably too much but I'm one of those go big or go home type of guys. Any advice is much appreciated.

·
Currently Away From 300C Forum
19,565 Posts
3.73 gears would be a great torque multiplier and I would not consider it too much for the 5.7L engine. Of course, you'll be running at a little higher RPM all the time so I'd say the biggest effect, besides the performance gain, would be a slight drop in your MPG.

I'd go look for a crashed Challenger, 2009 or newer V8 car - preferably an SRT car, and get the rear center section, axles, reluctors, hubs and driveshaft. That would be your cheapest option and that set up is good for almost 700 HP so you won't have to worry about snapping an axle under torque shock.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I just put 3.73 gears in the rear diff I have? I live in Kansas and it's the worse for salvage yards and anything Mopar in general so I doubt I'd find anything at the very few we have.

·
Currently Away From 300C Forum
19,565 Posts
I think the 3.73's available for your differential but you'll need the reluctors for the different ratio as well. What I am not sure about is whether or not an LSD gear set works in the open diff case.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still kind of learning how things work. So what will I need to change out the gears? I googled 3.73 gears and have found the picture I took. It's a ring and pinion. Is that it and then the piece you mentioned above?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I can't go 3.73 what is a good open diff gear to swap to?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts