Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2006 300C has the oil changed a little while ago and the bill was quite sizeable.
I quested it and was told the Hemi takes synthetic oil, thus the large bill for service.

I have read over the owners manual and it does refer to synthetic, but does not say it is mandatory to use it. Maybe I'm missing something between the fine lines, and yes, I read past page 30!

I thought I'd heard if you have a 3000 mile interval for oil changes, and using synthetic, it bumped you to 7500 miles between changes.

I called another dealer and they said the synthetic is mandatory in that engine.

Can anybody give me some facts about my post, as it's about due (only 13K miles and the first couple were free, then next time I took it to an independant shop, then the Dealer.

Thanks folks!

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
The dealer has no clue as usual, unless it is an SRT8 synthetic is not required. The 300C does not require synthetic but I use it exclusively in all my cars. If you follow the book, Chryco does not make a distinction in service intervals with synthetic. It is either 3K or 6K (it matters not if it is synthetic). Following the book, 99% of people will fall under the 3K schedule e.g. if the ambient temp ever falls below 32F or you ever take a trip less than ten miles you are on a 3K schedule, there are many more criteria that if any one is met you change oil at 3K. By the book, synthetic is neither recommended nor disapproved, the book simply says you may use synthetic.

My S430 goes 15-18K on synthetic M1 using a fleece (polyester) filter. Many cars may go well past 10K on synthetic based on recommendations. I change the S430 at 1 year which works out to 6-8K. I went 15K on the X5 only b/c it was leased, never on a car I own I don't care what the marketing (this is not an engineering decision) people say.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
My wife's 2006 300C has the oil changed a little while ago and the bill was quite sizeable.
I quested it and was told the Hemi takes synthetic oil, thus the large bill for service.

I have read over the owners manual and it does refer to synthetic, but does not say it is mandatory to use it. Maybe I'm missing something between the fine lines, and yes, I read past page 30!

I thought I'd heard if you have a 3000 mile interval for oil changes, and using synthetic, it bumped you to 7500 miles between changes.

I called another dealer and they said the synthetic is mandatory in that engine.

Can anybody give me some facts about my post, as it's about due (only 13K miles and the first couple were free, then next time I took it to an independant shop, then the Dealer.

Thanks folks!
1.) Dealer is trying to screw you.

2.) 7500 mile oil change for synthetic is perfect.

3.) It is not mandatory for synthetic to be used, but there are some advantages.

4.) You don't have to get the oil changed at the dealer. It is the worst place to get it done seeing in a lot of proven cases, they sneak in 10w30 bulk oil rather than use the 5w20 oil required.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Many members here on the forum, myself included, purchase their own 5W20 synthetic oil and oil filter. There are some of us that also do their own oil changes. There are many types of synthetic 5W20's out there but I'd say the top three that we use are either Mobil 1, Royal Purple, or Amsoil. Personally, I've been using synthetic since the first oil change and change my oil between 3500-4000 miles

·
Registered
566 Posts
I use Mobil 1 full synthetic 10w30. I use it mainly because its better oil, and you can go longer without oil changes. I change mine every 5000-6000 miles.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yep.. I agree just make sure you use 5W20 for a 5.7L. so you don't screw up the MDS. A good dino or synthetic at the right price......

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
dealers suck

Most dealers suck, that's for sure!

Mine argued about the oil when it was new:

Me: "what's an oil change go for?"
Dealer: "Yep, that's a hemi, 5W-20 ya know, for MDS."
Me: "Uh, the filler cap says 0W-40 Mobil One."
Dealer: Oh no, that's wrong!"

But the fact is that good synth and a QUALITY filter can easily get you 25000 miles, and if you learn about bypass filtration you can go years without changing oil. I know it sounds fantastic, but it's true.

My newer 04-07 GMC 3500 Savana's have a 6.0 V-8 and weigh 9000 pounds!!! They have an oil life monitoring system and they call for new oil at 8-10K. And that's calibrated for Dino! This is in ultra heavy duty stop and go driving. My wifes Silverado asks at around 9000 miles with the 5.3 liter V-8.

Note the Mercedes and BMW owners going way over normal limits with factory oil life monitors. 14-18K miles is not uncommon.

It's time to re-think your oil change if you use synth. And note that I still change the SRT8 at 3k for warranty. But my out of warranty vehicles ALL get changed by the oil life monitor or oil analysis. BTW, our last work truck retired had 300,000 miles and no oil consumption!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The dealer where I got my C told me synthetic only. I called BS on him (politely, of course). I've put dino-oil in it every 3K now for over two years. Recently started doing it myself (warranty expiring soon anyway). I guess I could switch to synthetic and stretch the interval out to 5-6K. It only sees interstate driving with a rare instance of stop-and-go.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I would like to go Mobil One but my dealer only carries Mobil One 0W40 for the SRT8s. I have the oil changed every 3000 miles so far but will consider going 5K to 6K if I start doing more freeway driving. If you do mostly freeway driving schedule one is the one I would use. In all of my previous cars I ran 5K oil and filter and never had any engine failures.(over a million miles) My last oil change I ran 3300 miles and the oil still was clean so I feel confident I could extend my oil changes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts