Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While shopping other dealers for an in-stock 300C like the one I have on order, I was told by the salesman that the new turnaround time for orders could be up to 6-9 months because of parts that are becoming unavailable.

I just nodded and smiled in response, because this sounded to me like a cheap ploy to get me to buy NOW. I'm throwing it out here just in case there is meat to the rumor.

I had read about the Mexican engine plant looking at ways to turn out more Hemis, but I hadn't heard that the backup was anywhere near that serious.

Anyone hear anything else to substantiate this alarmist salesman statement?

So far, I haven't been able to find the right combination of color and options to match what I ordered on 17-July.

Anybody else who ordered near that time have status better than BX?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I have 2 "C''s on order from two different dealers. One order 7/5/04 with no VON# as of yet and one order 7/10/04 with a VON#. Just called DCX this morning and still in BX status. The dealer has more cars sold than allocatted. Now I have to call the dealer and find aout what their daily allocation is and where my order fits in the mix. I will call the dealer I have no VON# for and see if they have placed an order yet. Their reasoning is that they have more cars on order than allocated for their dealership.
Here's the bottum line. There are more cars sold than they can produce and dealers are taking orders for cars that they are not allocated, making the problem even worse. There are members who have waited approx. 8 weeks and some 16 weeks plus. You need to call your dealer and see what their daily allocation is and where your order fits in to that.
If you try to buy a car off the lot your going to pay the price. I have been trying to do that also, but as you said the right combo is hard to find. My other problem is the price at which I placed both orders for no dealer will honor it for a car on the lot.
The first dealer with the car I'm taking it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Are you planning on taking delivery of 2 "C's" or is this a cleaver way of "insuring" that you get one. Whats your play here? Just curious.

·
Registered
56 Posts
IndysilverC - I wouldn't be surprised it this is true. Like Fatchance I've been in BX status for a long time 11 weeks. Called DCX on Monday and they told me it's all about the daily allocation rate. It's based on how many cars are allocated to the dealer and how many 300M's they purchased the previous year. If they have no allocation you don't get a VON. If they do have allocation you get a VON and wait in BX until the dealers "number" is pulled.

I was told that I'm the top order on the dealers allocation and they will get their actual allocation on Sept 14. Starting in September California allocation will be cut (don't know why). There is also a Hemi shortage because of a single factory in Mexico. The engines are used in trucks, 300's, Magnums and now the Jeeps. They will also start building Chargers and SRT-8's for January production.

BTW I saw a post elseware on the board about lot's of 300C's in stock in the Boston area!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Is there a set amount of how many 2005 300C's they'll build?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Blue,
I don't trust the dealer(or any dealer) and just want to assure myself a car. We've covered it over and over but it's all about allocation. Some members got there cars in six to eight weeks and some got theirs in sixteen weeks. I'm just playing the odds that I'll get one in a reasonable time. At this point it's not working. Like I said, the first one to deliver I'll take it. I'll cancel the second car. I don't think they'll have a problem with that. They'll just put it on the lot and mark it up. $5000 +.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Here is an article I found from a different board that may be relevant to this rumor....47000 cars is a lot to be backordered...

Automotive News

DETROIT -- The Chrysler group is scrambling to boost production of the hot-selling Chrysler 300 at its Brampton, Ontario, assembly plant.

Union officials are lobbying for a third shift.

Although Chrysler group officials are noncommittal, they must ensure capacity for production of the Dodge Charger sedan at Brampton beginning in January.

Brampton also builds the 2005 rear-wheel-drive Dodge Magnum wagon.

The unexpected sales success of the 300 is testing the Chrysler group's production flexibility - and dealers' patience. Customers are waiting several months for delivery of the 300C, dealers say.

Inventory of the Hemi V-8 300C stands at an 11-day supply nationally, well below the 70-day supply the industry considers optimal.

"We're working with the manufacturing team on what we can do to get more output" of the 300 and 300C, says John Sloan, director of Chrysler brand car marketing. "We plan to do our best to manage the demand for the 300 and the Magnum, recognizing that we have this four-door (Charger) sedan coming."

The Chrysler group would not confirm that the Charger will be built in Brampton. But the plant is the only rwd car plant in the Chrysler group manufacturing system. Brampton has begun building Charger prototypes, according to a source familiar with the situation.

The Canadian Auto Workers has asked the automaker to consider adding a third production shift, says CAW President Buzz Hargrove.

"The next two to three months will be critical in terms of trying to come to a conclusion about whether there is enough demand for a third shift," Hargrove says.

The company declined comment on a timetable for a three-shift decision. It is too early to determine if the sustained demand exists for a third shift, said Chrysler group spokeswoman Mary Beth Halprin.

Through July, the company had orders and sales for the 300 and Magnum totaling about 146,000 units. Brampton began producing the 300 in January and the Magnum in February. For comparison, Brampton built 201,723 units in 2002 before beginning model changeover in 2003.

The plant operated with three shifts from 1998 to 2001 building the Chrysler Concorde and 300M and the Dodge Intrepid. The three vehicles were replaced by the 300 and Magnum.

A three-shift schedule would yield an estimated 1,350 vehicles daily, according to a source familiar with the situation. That is 380 more units than produced on two 8-hour shifts at the plant, the source said.

But on Aug. 9, Brampton workers began working two 9-hour shifts Monday through Friday, building 1,088 units daily, the source said. The extended shift is scheduled for 90 days.The plant also works two 8-hour shifts on Saturday and two 6-hour shifts on Sunday.

Dealers are impatient

Dealers are tapping their feet in impatience. "About 25 people a day come in looking for information on the 300C," says Eric Van Ace, general manager of David Ellis Chrysler Inc. in Canoga Park, Calif.

"We are not doing pre-sells. We have a waiting list of 316 people who we call. The V-8 models sell within an hour. The 6-cylinder turns in one or two days."

Says Alan Helfman, general manager of River Oaks Chrysler-Jeep in Houston, "The wait is eight to 12 weeks. I've got 68 sold orders with deposits."

The order bank for the 300 and 300C stands at 47,000 units, says Kevin McCormick, Chrysler group spokesman. The Magnum order bank totals 33,000 units, he says.

During the first seven months of this year, Chrysler sold 53,708 300 units. The total includes a small number of 300M vehicles. Dodge has sold 12,456 Magnums since the wagon hit the market in May.

Supply of the V-8 300C stands at 11 days; the V-6 300 is at 27 days, McCormick says. The Magnum has a 61-day supply, he says.

The Charger is a full-sized sedan based on the 300 and the Magnum's rwd chassis. Dodge dealers have pressed the automaker for a sedan since Intrepid production ended in summer 2003.

The Chrysler group will boost 300 production cautiously, Sloan says. The company wants to protect quality and foster the aura of exclusivity cloaking the sedan, he says.

"We are trying to get every additional unit, but we are going to do it prudently," he says. "We're getting feedback from customers that those who have them now appreciate the exclusivity, and those who are waiting believe it's a vehicle worth waiting for. I don't want to put a glut of product in the marketplace."

·
Registered
25 Posts
As soon as a car is ordered it gets a VON. (vehicle ORDER number). How else is anyone going to track an ORDER. Any dealer that tells you that they can't give you one or doesn't have one yet is either lying because they didn't truly order the car for you, or theu're playing a game and deciding who will get a car when it comes in. Don't forget, if a car is ordered as a sold car it will have a person's name on the window sticker. No name, it wasn't ordered for you!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts