Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Tail light turn signal died so now I need whole new tail light??

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Red Ryder 
#1 ·
I have a 2013 300S and my rear, driver's side, blinker went out a few weeks ago. Long story short is that I bought the bulb, but also needed an oil change and safety inspection, so I brought it to a shop to take care of all of it. I got a call back saying the blinker is an LED and it can't just be replaced, but that the whole tail light would need to be replaced. I called two dealerships as well as chrysler services and they said this was true.

Has anyone else run into this issue and found a fix... aside from buying a whole new tail light? I'm beyond aggravated that a blinker swap is going to potentially cost hundreds.

#3 ·
how did you buy the bulb, if it cant be replaced (sorry, confused)? ....... did you just buy a random flasher bulb in the hope it was correct?

You could always buy a set of custom aftermarket tail clusters - probably cheaper than 1 factory fitting

#4 ·
I gave them my VIN, so I assume there was a misunderstanding and they thought I wanted a back-up light. When I was handed the bulb, I didn't think anything of it, I've changed turn signals many times and it's always been always a bulb... I didn't realize this car used LEDs.

Anyway, turns out I do indeed need a whole new taillight. The car only has 49k on it, so it's disappointing that an LED would go bad so quick. It's even more disappointing that the usual $6 fix has been this much of a mess. Being that the warranty has expired, I don't really have any other option than to sack up the $200-$300. Still love the car, but she's in the doghouse right now.

#5 · (Edited)
I thought those LEDs lasted forever. No problem with mine yet, but if it were me, knew I probably would have to replace the whole unit anyway, I would disassemble it and have a look. Couldn't make it worse. MAybe something is loose, or a cold solder, or something simple. I have bought replacement LEDs on ebay and soldered them on other stuff. Perhaps it could be the same with the tail light unit. I needed an LED for one of my solar lights, and bought a pack of 10 for 90 cents on eBay, replaced the one LED and whoo hoo. Saved 30 bucks. It is worth a try if you plan to spend the $200 - $300 anyway.
Just remember those LEDs have polarity so there are positive and negative pins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.