Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I get between 350-400 miles from a full tank (absolutely brimmed to completely empty)
I use shell v-power and it costs me around £95-100 to fill!

Is this normal? I used to get this sort of mileage from my M3!

My car is a well kept 2006 300c crd Estate.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Your consumption is a bit higher than typical, but it obviously depends on the traffic conditions, where you drive it and how you drive.
I get about 29mpg average yours is around 25mpg taking the average, it would seem.

Some get much higher mpg if they drive at steady speeds in free flowing traffic/motorways.

Jack

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
3,732 Posts
I agree with Jack. On longer trips I get up to 35mpg. What does your EVIC report? Also, worth checking your tyre pressures (2.5 bar) as these can make a difference.
I also use Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I'm getting 26 in average and only use the cheap diesel with millers fuel additive. If I do a long haul not at rush hour and just a steady 75ish I usually get about 30-32. Serviced at regular intervals and tyres checked every other day.

Think it just depends on the individual car. Do t forget this is us gallons so add twenty percent (so I have heard).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input guys, Im getting 27mpg according to evic. I do mixed b road and city driving and i have a love of boost so maybe its not too bad!

what is longest range anyone has gone on a full tank?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Over 600 miles. That's 65 mph on a quiet motorway none stop for about three hours at a time. No harsh braking, no harsh acceleration, proper grandad style driving.

If I'm going to and from work and out and about (work is three miles away) then I only get about 350-400

·
Registered
643 Posts
I average about 500 miles a tank. But then most of mine is motorway driving with the cruise set at 70mph. Now and again I boot it but not often - just enjoy the ride :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
After 4 weeks of town driving my evic is only showing 22mpg, which is low, and has just been serviced.

Evic showing tyres 2.4 all round

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Tyres on 2.6 all round. 60mph on permanent cruise control and getting 38.6 avg on motorway, 114 miles covered with 420 showing remaining. Never seen it that high before.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Try driving at 68 - 69 mph when maximum torque is produced (around 1900rpm) and you will see an increase in economy

Do not try this in a 30 mph zone...........

I have had 579 miles on a tank without the orange light coming on

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
No free wheeling Steve, well except when we go down hill and the cars cruise doesn't really do anything. I was astonished. Liverpool to Llandudno and back. 60 on cruise most of the way with the odd 'throwing it up' to a mad 65 to overtake....!!!!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Try driving at 68 - 69 mph when maximum torque is produced (around 1900rpm) and you will see an increase in economy

Do not try this in a 30 mph zone...........

I have had 579 miles on a tank without the orange light coming on
1900 gives me around 66/67 mph. Any higher than that economy drops off unless I'm straight and leval on a motorway. For general driving 1900 gives me around 34/35mpg

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Tried 67/68 and it didn't get as good mileage. Went to Wales camping and tried it but got better results at 65.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1404482106.118192.jpg

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1404482119.777403.jpg

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1404482134.065909.jpg

This is on cruise at constant 65, only slowing for traffic or road works.

End of trip has resulted in average of 36 mpg, 400 miles covered with 160 left. That motorway down there, running around the village and back home. Not bad eh?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Things that are often overlooked that can make a difference to fuel economy:

1) Check your tyres economy efficiency - Pirelli are not particularly good and sometimes cheaper brands are actually better.

Tyre reviews, tests and ratings - TyreReviews

2) Having a full 4 wheel alignment check (not just tracking but camber/castor etc) makes a real difference as well as having a quieter ride can provide a nice positive feel through the steering wheel providing your tyres and suspension are in good order.

3) Try Millers diesel additive, I have only ever run my car on TESCO diesel for the 20K miles I have owned it and there is a noticeable difference from the first couple of thousand miles that I did prior to using Millers of about 1 to 1 and a half mpg. My average mpg is 27mpg in really awful commuting traffic with the air conditioning on - drops to 25.5mpg with heated seats and heated rear window on and slightly in excess of 42 mpg when cruising at 68 - 69 mph (1900rpm).

4) Make sure your fuel filter is OK - it turned out mine had never been changed despite having full dealer service history! (thanks Petman).

My car has done 60k and just keeps getting better, I may try Terraclean to see if there is any possible improvement and have a look at remapping if I have nothing better to do with my money.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Tried 67/68 and it didn't get as good mileage. Went to Wales camping and tried it but got better results at 65.

View attachment 88761

View attachment 88769

View attachment 88777

This is on cruise at constant 65, only slowing for traffic or road works.

End of trip has resulted in average of 36 mpg, 400 miles covered with 160 left. That motorway down there, running around the village and back home. Not bad eh?
I have to agree, every time I try for economy I find the best figures around the 60 to 65 mark. Mind you, as has been said, it is difficult to stick to those speeds...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts