Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone, I'm having yet another issue with the 06 SRT8. This is a problem that my girlfriend pointed out when driving the car yesterday. When slowing down, there is a tapping sound coming from the back that is relative to the speed of the car. It almost sounds like there is a rock stuck in the tire (yes I checked). I'm really stumped. I've shaken down the rear suspension and can't find anything remotely loose. Someone on another forum suggested the lug nuts, though they were all tight. Video of tapping sound let me know where you guys think it is coming from

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would look at the ujoints.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
When slowing down?...coasting or braking? Does it come and go with braking? Does it happen with light brake pressure but maintaining speed?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When slowing down?...coasting or braking? Does it come and go with braking? Does it happen with light brake pressure but maintaining speed?
Seems to be while deceleration/coasting at low speeds with or without braking.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Whats the mileage? I would suspect the parking break might be the culprit. I have read of several of these strange noises including a montone repeating not rather than aticking. If you can identify which wheel is the culprit then get into the parking brake mechanism. If you are happy to do it it is a reasonably simple DIY job. If you do have high mileage then if you are in there thoroughly de-dust everything and look for loose parts. Take the opportunity and inspect the brakes generally.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's probably about time to tear into it considering ~140k miles. I took it to a shop on Wednesday (since I don't have much room to work on it in my garage) but haven't heard back yet. I will probably give them a call this afternoon to check in on it.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Definitely get everything de-dusted and cleaned look at the caliper float robber boots check the rotor thicknesses etc etc Get them to check sway bar bushes.....she's an old girl give her some love,,,!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She definitely deserves love with all she's been through. The back story of that car was a complete nightmare, check out my previous posts if you're curious :). Thanks for your help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts