Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for more info on what the Mopar Performance Transmission Controller TCM Upgrade could do for me! :33:Would my tuner interfere with this upgrade??? Also what is the Tranzformer? I don't know anything about what these do or what one would help me lower my quarter mile time. Help plez... I know I must have been sleeping on these upgrades... :feedback:

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Ok... so... I have both...

The MTCM is a great little TCM, however it does take some setting up that you HAVE to do. People claim it is plug and play but you will have issues if you do that... If and when you buy one PM me and I'll walk you through it as it's not a little bit to type! lol. The TCM will give you higher shift points, as does the predator, depending on whether you get the 5.7 or the SRT8 one will determine how high (it will also determine your rear end gear ratio so choose wisely!). It will increase your shift pressures higher than the predator so you will get a noticeable shift difference... tighter shifts equal quicker times, no matter how slight, it helps. The downshift pressures are near stock but seem higher on a forced kickdown under WOT. Shift patterns are unchanged... the biggest difference in the MTCM is the locking up of the T/C in 2nd gear and on... This really helps people with a highstall converter (me included!) as it forces it to look sooner in the gears we need and not to slip out the horsepower! In a stock car with bolt on's it will help you, but not amaze you... now get a T/C and you will never look back.

As for the TZ... well it's my favorite toy ever! lol... many people say best MOD since the predator... I kinda think it's an equal Yang for the Ying that is the Predator. It is able to command 95% of your shift pressures I believe (don't quote me)... with the box set at it's highest point in my ride lays rubber in 2nd and chirps 3rd... it will break your neck if you so desire on an upshift or downshift. You have total control... you can set shift strengths in individual gears or all for up and down shifts, you can raise shift points for some or all gears to your choosing, you can force it to autoupshift and what rev's or manual override and bounce the limiter if you choose, heck you can even have a solid 90% pressure shift at WOT but a smooth 30% shift at part pedal if you wish. You can change settings for autostick and D independently to have totally different experiences and you can do it all while in motion if you desire! It also gives you some great features like steering wheel shifting, launch control, burnout mode, line lock, 0-30 and 0-60 timers, Trans Temp, Highest RPM limit reached... just lots of cool stuff... it's a fun box for sure. The best part... it's always improving... always more toys, always more updates...

So there you go... honestly... based on your Mods I would say a TZ would be a better toy for you in general as it will do far more than the MTCM would do for your car... now once you get a high stall converter you will want to add a MTCM to the mix for the 2nd gear lock up... unless of course it hasn't be figure out by the TZ yet!

By the way... this a completely unbiased review on my behalf... I own both and love both equally!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for all the info! I'm going to look into the TZ for my 5.7. do you have any idea what the cost are or how long the install would take?

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
install will take you all of about an hour if you take your time and do it right... the wires are a little tricky to make sure you have the right ones but nothing to be concerned about (unless your color blind! lol)... as for purchase... used is slim chance... you can buy them on Amazon I believe. They are a good purchase! Your ride looks like it strong for a not far off stock (bolt-ons) reminds me of my car.... some are stronger than others!! Mine was solid off the showroom floor and has continued to impress me... the TZ was definitely a mod that contributed to that! Pm if you have any questions and good luck!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm gonna order one up in the next few days and give ya a shout before the install. I cant wait to see what this thing can do! Thanks again!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a TranZformer for sale; used it in my car for three days. It is friggin awesome, but I have some rear-end work I will need to have done before I can use it. It really does firm up the shifts, that's for sure.... unfortunately it brought some rear-end issues to light that I wasn't aware of, which is why I can't use it. The problem is with my car, not the TranZformer. PM me if you're interested. They're going for $250, I will sell mine for $200 shipped....

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got my car back from the body shop and now its time for the tranzformer install! Should be in by Sunday should I plug the unit into a laptop and update it before the install?

·
Registered
71 Posts
You do want it unplugged from the car when you make changes to the TZ. If it is plugged into the car, any changes you make will not be saved. This happened to me, and I confirmed with Joe Z (the vendor) that it needs to be unplugged for settings to stick...

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You do want it unplugged from the car when you make changes to the TZ. If it is plugged into the car, any changes you make will not be saved. This happened to me, and I confirmed with Joe Z (the vendor) that it needs to be unplugged for settings to stick...
Thanks for the heads up! So your saying it needs to be unpluged from the tcm while saving the changes. Haven't had it installed yet but will Sunday!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! So your saying it needs to be unpluged from the tcm while saving the changes. Haven't had it installed yet but will Sunday!
Yes, that s correct. If it is plugged in, changes look like they're being saved... but if you exit he program and go back into it they're all messed up. Since there's a plug that has the wires hooked up to it, unplugged and repluggng the unit is a piece of cake!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I just took everything apart and was getting ready to wire everything and just my luck it started raining and I have my dad's chevelle in the garage and that puppy has never seen rain and never will. I'm on pause for now but have been thinking the tap slice connects will not work for me in upstate ny. They always turn green and don't have a safe connection due to the weather conditions. I'm going to use a butt slice connector and tape the hell out of it! I hope this will do fine. Not really a wiring guy...

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
^ Yes that will do fine for a splice... i didnt' use the t taps either pal... as for the whole not remembering the settings plugged in thing... HUH? On the initial early release (100 serial # and down) the TZ's had a hard time remembering shift on the fly setting changes... this is now resolved in later releases. If you have a 100 or down (which you don't as you just bought it new) then you can simply re-flash with the new update on his page and it should work fine... if not PM me and I will give you Joe's details and he will have it sent back (reset and flashed there) and sent back. Some units it wasn't just software but something with the hardware itself. So for first install I would obviously advise a plug in to a computer to set you prefs and make sure the freshest update is in the TZ, after that changes on the fly are fine and will be remembered. No unplugging of the TCM is ever neccs after install. I would leave the USB cable plugged in as well and find a place to hide it, that way if you need to use a laptop you can easier wthout removing the box everytime... just a thought!

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
... and I've never had an issue updating settings with the box plugged into the piggyback wires using a laptop either... strange I'm hearing of this...hmmm

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok so i just installed it and im getting a no signal on my dash. i took it down the road and it turns on and off and chimes and all but all the options are saying no signal. im headed to my house to update it and try again. i double checked every wire and all look fine. hoping its just a update thing. as far as number its 367.

·
Registered
71 Posts
... and I've never had an issue updating settings with the box plugged into the piggyback wires using a laptop either... strange I'm hearing of this...hmmm
I was having issues updating settings with it plugged in... I have an email from Joe confirming he was having the same issue and advised it needs to be unplugged. The settings appear to save, but if you exit the app and go back in, the settings are jacked up. As stated, this was confirmed to me by Joe personally...

On the fly changes can be made, but those are 'across the board'... One firmness for everything.

What I am referring to is the individual changes for each gear...

Bran

·
Registered
71 Posts
ok so i just installed it and im getting a no signal on my dash. i took it down the road and it turns on and off and chimes and all but all the options are saying no signal. im headed to my house to update it and try again. i double checked every wire and all look fine. hoping its just a update thing. as far as number its 367.
If it is chiming, it's working. My Sirius channel also flashed No Signal. It does this briefly then goes back to normal. It should say TZ On/ TZ Off very briefly first though. The mode display, etc. is not full-time.

I didn't get this update email until the middle of the night or I would have replied sooner, sorry. If you have any questions pm me, I think I get immediate emails on PMs.

Sorry for the delayed response...

-Brian

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
I was having issues updating settings with it plugged in... I have an email from Joe confirming he was having the same issue and advised it needs to be unplugged. The settings appear to save, but if you exit the app and go back in, the settings are jacked up. As stated, this was confirmed to me by Joe personally...

On the fly changes can be made, but those are 'across the board'... One firmness for everything.

What I am referring to is the individual changes for each gear...

Bran
...And as I stated First time I'm hearing of this.... hmmm... as in interesting find... no need to drive home your point in bold writing :kiss: I will pull my TZ later and check my settings as in the god knows how long I've had it for I never noticed this issue. I've had two boxes, my first was a test pilot original and its one thing I never noticed... this one I never even checked... I do run different settings in each gear so I'll plug in and see if it's back to all the same shifts as it would have been when set. So.. once again... good find.

If it is chiming, it's working. My Sirius channel also flashed No Signal. It does this briefly then goes back to normal. It should say TZ On/ TZ Off very briefly first though. The mode display, etc. is not full-time.
I don't think he is getting anything displaying after the chime... so I would think Canbus connection myself... no? Do you know if he runs an aftermarket radio? Mine is odd as I do run an aftermarket but unless I select a factory radio I get no display... I chatted with Joe on it and he was a little confused on it too and said to send it back... but he's done enough for me so it works as is so no biggie..

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't think he is getting anything displaying after the chime... so I would think Canbus connection myself... no? Do you know if he runs an aftermarket radio? Mine is odd as I do run an aftermarket but unless I select a factory radio I get no display... I chatted with Joe on it and he was a little confused on it too and said to send it back... but he's done enough for me so it works as is so no biggie..
Not sure what he's running for a stereo... I was running an aftermarket Kenwood, and I got the EVIC display briefly, but then started flashing No Signal.

One possible important note, is that I used to have factory stereo with Sirius... stereo is aftermarket, but the Sirius unit is still in my trunk (It was going to be a PITA to remove it). I'm not sure if this would or wouldn't factor into the display issue.

onesickhotrod - can you feel any changes in the shifting at all since you installed it? It makes a big difference, so it should be pretty easy to notice. Since you spliced the wires instead of using t-taps, your wiring must be pretty solid.. I wouldn't think it's a wiring issue.

Let me know if I can help at all...

-Brian

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the factory radio and I felt it shifting harder for sure. I know its working but when I try and use the different modes I get no signal. I'm going back at it now to check everything and see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the factory radio and I felt it shifting harder for sure. I know its working but when I try and use the different modes I get no signal. I'm going back at it now to check everything and see what I can come up with.
Interesting. The fact that it's even saying No Signal means it's sensing button input. I think I read some posts on it may behave differently with different models/radio versions.

Do you have factory Sirius? If so, have you tried to tune it to channel 184?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts