Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Tech: AUX Input/iPod in Factory Radio

18K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  300TouringNproud 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Aux input Sirius radio Hack

This is for individuals who would like an aux input using there factory radio or Nav unit. You MUST have Sirius radio module installed in the vehicle. However you do Not have to be a subscriber to Sirius radio.

You will need to purchase these parts or there equivalent from Radio Shack.
Relay Catalog number 275-249
Switch Catalog number 275-693
1/8 jack Catalog number 274-312
four different colors of 18 gauge wire

This relay is a DPDT relay that uses 12 volts to energize the coils
The switch is used to toggle the relay on and off. Any on off switch can be used, but this one look the best out of what Radio shack had to offer. Find a place to mount this switch that is easy to get to while driving. You will need to drill a ¾ inch hole to mount this switch. Make sure you check for depth clearance before drilling the hole. (The place right under the ashtray is where I installed it. The jack is used to plug your IPOD into. This can be hidden or surface mounted. I prefer to surface mount it next to the switch.

Remove the radio Bezel and set to the side.
Remove the 4 screws holding the radio and unplug both the Nav antenna (if applicable) and the radio antenna.
Unplug both the large radio connector C1 and the small connector C2.
There are 3 wires to be concerned with on the C2 connector.
Pin 1 Right +
Pin 2 Signal common
Pin 6 Left +
Cut pin 1 and 6
Splice pin 2

Cut 1 piece of 18 gauge wire 18 inches and 1 piece 10 inches same color solder them to the 2 legs on the switch 275-693.
The relay 275-249 has 8 legs on the bottom. 2 of the legs are on one end of the relay away from the other 6. These two are the coil legs.
Solder a 5 amp fused 18 gauge wire to the terminal opposite of the writing on the relay. This wire should be about 15 inches long.
Solder the 10 inch wire from the switch to the other side of the relay.
Locate the cigar lighter wiring between the heated seat controls. Attach the 18 inch wire from the switch to the ground side of the cigar light circuit.
Attach the fused wire from the relay to positive side of the cigar lighter.
The two legs located nearest to the coil wires that were just soldered are going to be used for the satellite receiver wiring.
Locate the side of the relay that has the specs on the side.
This will be used for the left signal.
The clean side will be used for the right signal.

Cut two pieces of 18 gauge wire in different colors about 12 inches long and solder them to the relay terminals nears to the coil wires that were soldered.
For example, Use Blue wire for the left Orange for the right.
Attach the left (blue) to the wire that was cut from pin 6 vehicle side.
Attach the Right (Orange) to the wire that was cut from Pin 1 vehicle side
Move to the next set of terminals.
These will be used to attach to the factory radio.
Cut 2 more pieces of wire 12 inches long again one blue one orange.
Solder the blue wire to the left side of the relay.
Solder the Orange wire to the left side of the relay.
Attach the blue wire to the C2 connector wire located in pin 6
Attach the Orange wire to the C2 connector wire located in pin 1

Cut 2 more pieces of wiring one blue the other orange at 18 inches.
Solder the blue wire to the left side pin on the relay.
Solder the Orange wire to the right side on the relay.
Solder the other end of the blue wire to the terminal that is farthest from the opening of the jack
Solder the other end of the orange wire to the terminal that is second farthest from the opening jack

Solder a third 18 inch wire any color to the last terminal on the jack.
Attach this wire to Pin 2 on the C2 connector that was splices earlier.
Plug C1 and C2 Connectors back into the radio.
Test the system.
With the radio on, in Sat mode, toggle switch in the off position, the sat audio should be heard. Press the toggle switch and the relay should click and the audio should change to the IPOD. Adjust volume.
Visio Diagram Courtesy of XCITsNU.

If you have any questions Please email me at kmoney1@ameritech.net

See less See more
#10 ·
Keeping track of this thread so I can install my ipod later.

Good stuff and thanks.

#13 · (Edited)
I liked this so I spent an hour and created a Visio Diagram that will be a littel easier to follow. Have fun!!!

The first one is a bigger view for online, and the second one is for printing for use when working at the bench. :D

Attachments

#14 ·
XCITsNU said:
I liked this so I spent an hour and created a Visio Diagram that will be a littel easier to follow. Have fun!!!

The first one is a bigger view for online, and the second one is for printing for use when working at the bench. :D
Nice job... :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.