Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, today I went to my Chrysler dealer and purchased a locking gas cap (part #05278655AB) for $15...looks and works great. They also had a different locking gas cap (part #5015636AB) which can be keyed that same as your '300 series' key, but that cap ran $40 + an additional $25 to have it keyed the same as the 300's key. Since I felt that $65 was just too much money for the convenience of only having to retain one key, I saved fifty bucks and opted for the $15 route. I simply don't mind having to carry an extra key for the gas cap, and besides, both gas caps look exactly the same (sans the plastic tether which comes on the more expensive version which I wouldn't need to use anyway).

I also solved the problem of always having been forced to allow the gas cap to simply dangle against my freshly waxed paint during refuels. I found a stainless steel spring clip (from an inexpensive 'aftermarket' visor vanity mirror left over from one of my other vehicles) in my tool box 'junk drawer'. One end of this clip just happened to slip into the fuel filler door's sheet metal fold-over gap, and since it's spring steel, it's stout and won't pull out. The other end is hooked enough to slip into the cap's lip area and easily holds my fuel filler cap while it rests against the open fuel filler door (ref. attached photos). Also, the clip doesn't get in the way when closing the fuel filler door, and since it's stainless steel, I'm sure that it won't rust either.

It was a simple solution to an irritating problem, and it didn't cost me a thing. :D

The money I saved on purchasing the less expensive fuel filler cap was applied toward front and rear '300 series' OEM molded splash guards (part #82208031 & #82208032 respectively) which cost me $76 for the complete set or four. I also purchased four cans of PXR (Brilliant Black Chrystal Pearl) OEM paint at $8.30 per can, which will be used to paint the exterior portion of the splash guards (with some paint hopefully left over....just in case). ;)

I hope that maybe these ideas might help some other forum members who just might be facing the same dilemma.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Here is my solution, works like a charm. In the original gas cap holder thread a member (modesty prevents me from saying who) posted a solution using a magnet in the inner fuel door to hold the cap. I found that tiny particles of magnetic debris stuck to the paint and had to be clayed off. I now use the locking cap tether and reversed it's attachment and utilized the upper inner hole, and use the rubber stop to suspend the cap in air. I got this idea from a 300 brother in the original thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
marlinspike said:
Wow, I'm very surprised. Even the SRT8 version?
A locking door is really a false sense of security, often a plastic or thin metal pin is all that "locks" the door. An airplane legal fingernail file is all that is needed to pop this very inadequate lock. Yes, it prolly would cause the pre teen to move on to the next car if he did'nt have a screw driver on him (I'm sure not a boy scout otherwise he would have been preparred). A locking cap is much better, still though it should have been included on the car. No piont in making it easy for the juvinile delinquent.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
A locking door is really a false sense of security, often a plastic or thin metal pin is all that "locks" the door. An airplane legal fingernail file is all that is needed to pop this very inadequate lock. Yes, it prolly would cause the pre teen to move on to the next car if he did'nt have a screw driver on him (I'm sure not a boy scout otherwise he would have been preparred). A locking cap is much better, still though it should have been included on the car. No piont in making it easy for the juvinile delinquent.
The one on my 20 year old Benz is a 10mm diameter bolt. I dunno, the more I see of this car (that looks like a pretty cheap gas cap, and it's pretty cheap to not have a bracket for holding the cap) the less keen I am on egging my dad to get an SRT-8...BUT the thought of a car as big as my 20 year old Benz but doing 0-60 in under 5 seconds is VERY VERY enticing and makes me quickly overlook these little things.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
marlinspike said:
The one on my 20 year old Benz is a 10mm diameter bolt. I dunno, the more I see of this car (that looks like a pretty cheap gas cap, and it's pretty cheap to not have a bracket for holding the cap) the less keen I am on egging my dad to get an SRT-8...BUT the thought of a car as big as my 20 year old Benz but doing 0-60 in under 5 seconds is VERY VERY enticing and makes me quickly overlook these little things.
Are you sure 10mm, that's a cm which is more than 1/3 inch, that is a very thick pin. My 87 300E had what looked like a 3mm pin, even a 10mm pin is easy to pop with a screwdriver. Virtually all of today's cars with thin metal are easy prey, it's not the pin, it's the anchor or slot the pin goes into. Kinda like the chain on your front door. It may not break but those few tiny screws in the base plate screwed into the casing and the door will pull out with the chain intact from a swift kick from any Florsheim Wingtip Imperial Brogue (or Nike).

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Um, I'm guesstimating the 10mm, though I don't think it's far off (I'm looking at a ruler and relying on my memory since the car's at the body shop). It's thicker than a bic pen. Maybe 8mm is more accurate.I also don't know how easy it'd be to pry the door open since it's made of fairly tough thick steel. I think it's one of the benefits of having the last Mercedes that was built then priced instead of vice-versa (the S and the E of the 80's are worlds apart.). Though I guess to be fair to the 300 my 20 year old Benz was also $50k in 20 years ago dollars, and only has a 3.8 liter. Yeah, I think I'm still going to push for the 300 SRT-8 and I think my dad is leanign that way too since. Aw man Mark Martin just lost control, dang it...ok sorry about that OT part but that ticked me off.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I like Martin but Jeff Gordon is my boy. I hope your dad gets the SRT8, The only car I would put above it is the Maserati Quattroporte but it is more than double the money (about $110K), that reminds me, I need to check my Powerball numbers, I might just get that Maserati afterall :D

Just checked, a day late and a dollar short, well there is always next time.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
I like Martin but Jeff Gordon is my boy.
You must be from the North.I was actually pushing for Kasey, but I was just pissed about Martin because it was right near the end, he was doing ok, and there was absolutely no reason for it. I felt bad for Ryan Newman too, cause he would have won for sure if that didn't happen.

I'm not liking the stock pedal I saw in another thread either. I'm thinking this might be a car my dad gets and then, going back to something he hasn't done since 1968, modifies a little bit (something for the pedals, though I'm not liking the ultimate pedals cause I like rubber, elite22 leather for the armrest, the locking gas cap, maybe some Mopar stuff depending on what they make for it).

·
Registered
710 Posts
I also bought the locking gas cap which will no longer accomodate the plastic cable. Here's what I did. I bought some high strength dime size magnets and super glued one to each side of the top of the cap. When I fill up, I just stick it to the top inside of the door. Quick and easy. See the pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
magnuman said:
I also bought the locking gas cap which will no longer accomodate the plastic cable. Here's what I did. I bought some high strength dime size magnets and super glued one to each side of the top of the cap. When I fill up, I just stick it to the top inside of the door. Quick and easy. See the pictures.
Good idea, just be careful that you don't inadvertently magnetize your paint, as well as demagnetize your quartz (battery-operated) watch. :eek:

·
Registered
122 Posts
magnuman said:
I wonder if, because the lock on the cap is metal, you could stick a magnet on the inside of the gas cap door and just stick the handle (via the lock) on the magnet that way?

·
Registered
448 Posts
300TouringNproud said:
I wonder if, because the lock on the cap is metal, you could stick a magnet on the inside of the gas cap door and just stick the handle (via the lock) on the magnet that way?
The problem with such a setup was posted by another member a number of months ago: the magnet (always attached to the door) attracts an excessive amount of "metal dust"....at least that was the aforementioned member's experience.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
frank29 said:
The problem with such a setup was posted by another member a number of months ago: the magnet (always attached to the door) attracts an excessive amount of "metal dust"....at least that was the aforementioned member's experience.
Absitively, on my CV this fine dust stuck to the paint and did not wash off, I had to clay it off. As the original poster of the magnet idea, believe me the inverted tether hung over the rubber stop posted on page 1 is supurb and works perfectly. Even if your car is black, that metal dust will still be ground into the paint, time, wind, and the magnetic force will insure this.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The lock on my cap is not metal...the magnet won't stick to it. Maybe I've got the cheap model. I've never had any problem with debris getting on the magnet, the door or anywhere else, and I've had it on for about 8 months now. I was hoping that it would align the fuel molecules like those fuel line magnets, so I can get a million miles to the gallon LOL. So far it's not working. And, a watch?? I don't wear a watch...don't really care what time it is, so I don't have that problem. Also, as I said, with the locking cap there is no place for the tether to attach to...hence the magnet idea. Just thought it was the easiest, quickest thing to do. Works for me.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
magnuman said:
The lock on my cap is not metal...the magnet won't stick to it. Maybe I've got the cheap model. I've never had any problem with debris getting on the magnet, the door or anywhere else, and I've had it on for about 8 months now. I was hoping that it would align the fuel molecules like those fuel line magnets, so I can get a million miles to the gallon LOL. So far it's not working. And, a watch?? I don't wear a watch...don't really care what time it is, so I don't have that problem. Also, as I said, with the locking cap there is no place for the tether to attach to...hence the magnet idea. Just thought it was the easiest, quickest thing to do. Works for me.
Most importantly it works for you and that's what really counts in the long run. Most of these types of lock exteriors are actually made of aluminum, in order to avoid possible rusting problems, and therefore magnets will not stick to them. My solution didn't cost me a cent either, and since it's merely a stainless steel clip, it shouldn't rust either. The plastic tether relocation idea is another great solution for those who have caps with such tethers. Whatever simple solution we've decided works for us, we've all seemed to come-up with something which DCX should've done so in the first place. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts