·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SpiderLite L.E.D. Tail Lights:

Installation & Evaluation

(car before installation)​

About the Product:

SpiderLite is a Canadian company that manufactures and markets a revolutionary approach to L.E.D. vehicle lighting.

They have engineered and patented an array of Brake Light L.E.D.’s that can be inserted into most existing tail light housings in the same way you would change a bulb.

This means that no special housing or expensive modifications are needed. The concept won the company “BEST IN SHOW EXTERIOR ACCESSORY AT THE 2005 SEMA SHOW.”

I requested a pair of lights for evaluation on my 300C. The company shipped via FEDEX on Monday 15 Mar. 05. I received them the next day at noon. They came well packed in their own box.

The company shipped Spiderlite Part# 5ARM-M-WEDGE-A replaces 3X56/3X57 sockets.

Inside, each bulb was packed individually in its own secure package. The package simply snapped open without the need of scissors, jack hammers, blow torches – a welcome change from so many plastic wrappings today.

Intstallation.

Following the bulb replacement instructions in the 300C owner’s manual, I had the entire right tail light assembly removed from the car in under 2 minutes.

This is one of the easiest tail lights I have ever worked on. Unscrew three plastic wing nuts and she’s out. Kudos to DCX.

(CONTINUED)

Attachments

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
SpiderLite Tail Lights: Installation & Evaluation 2

Remove the stock bulb from the tail light assembly.

Here is a close up picture of the front of the light, before you insert it into the housing.

The rear of the light has LED’s as well! This ensures that the lights take full advantage of the chromed parabolic reflectors inside the brake light housing.

Attachments

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
SpiderLite Tail Lights: Installation & Evaluation 3

Remove the existing bulb and holder by twisting the holder and pulling towards you.

Insert the SpiderLite into the existing socket. Once in the socket, the entire light can rotate a few degrees. This will aid you in lining up the 5 arms to create the visual effect you want.

Here comes the neat part. Gather up the spring mounted arms with your fingers. They will fold into a group no wider than the original bulb.

Insert the bundle into the socket.

Twist the original base so as to lock in and seal. Check the alignment of the bulb. Repeat this procedure, if necessary, using the rotating slider to position the pattern.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
SpiderLite Tail Lights: Installation & Evaluation 4

Comparison To Stock Tail Light

The first thing to note is that photographing lights has proven to be quite difficult for this evaluation.

In this photo, the tail tights are on and the brake is not activated. The light output of the L.E.D.’s on the right is easily visually greater than the stock bulb on the left.

What does not come across in the photo is the sharpness and pinpoint acuity of the Spider Lites. They appear to blur in the photos. To the human eye, they are razor sharp.

Here is a photo with the brake lights on. The camera angle here is picking up the factory 3rd brake light leds. The Spiders on the right are very bright.

Close up comparisons

Attachments

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
SpiderLite Tail Lights: Installation & Evaluation 5

More Photos

Other Observations

When the brakes are applied, the Spider Lites come on faster than the standard bulb. This is noticeable to the observer.

The Spider Lites are cool. I mean really cool. Literally. When I place my hand on the stock lens, it feels quite warm. I feel no heat from lens with the Spider Lites.

Conclusions.

I like this product.

It is durable, well made and easy to install.

It seems to create a margin of safety, in terms of brightness with my smoked lenses. It is more visible from angles than the stock bulb. As well, it definitely lights up quicker. With the brakes on the 300C, that just might prevent a following car from running into my butt in the event of a panic stop.

While appearance is always a matter of personal taste, I like the unique Chrysler PentaStar appearance the lights create on the 300C. They also create different effects when viewed from different angles.

I recommend this product to our forum members. I am negotiating a group buy. The amount of discount will depend upon the feedback to my report and the reports of others, such as 300AWD.

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
Good Pics, Northern

Is it ok if i post my vids and pics here.

For me it was hell to get both of them on focus during the shot.

EDIT:
My feedback.

I did not have to take my lights completly out for the removal. It was simple install took about 2 minutes for each light. Its just 3 plastic screws u have to turn and the light pops out. I really recommend this, brightness wise, safety wise and looks as well. I just want an ok from northern to post my videos so every one can see them. The videos show how bright the lights are and how quick the spiderlite comes on vs the sylvania lights(stock on 300c).

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
300CAWD said:
Good Pics, Northern

Is it ok if i post my vids and pics here.

For me it was hell to get both of them on focus during the shot.
Yes, please do. I know what you are saying about photographing lights. I'd rather take pictures of a live rattlesnake. :D

·
Registered
332 Posts
My feedback.

I did not have to take my lights completly out for the removal. It was simple install took about 2 minutes for each light. Its just 3 plastic screws u have to turn and the light pops out. I really recommend this, brightness wise, safety wise and looks as well. I just want an ok from northern to post my videos so every one can see them. The videos show how bright the lights are and how quick the spiderlite comes on vs the sylvania lights(stock on 300c). My final opinion its worth every single dollar i spent.
EDIT: I wanna add something, These are really important for people that drive fast between lanes in traffic(I know its not recommended but i said just for people who do it), u can brake quick but the guy behind u might not. so a second can make a difference from saying bye bye to the rear end of your car or keeping it intact.

TWO VIDEOS GUYS.
ENJOY THEM
My paps helped me on this one, he is the big guy pushing the brakes.

Spider vs stock lights meaning the speed at which they come on.

http://www.geocities.com/my300cawdhemi/spidervsstock.wmv

This video is just showing the spiderlite at very close range.

http://www.geocities.com/my300cawdhemi/comparision2.avi

I am gonna go ahead and put both my lights(spiderlites) in after this.

·
Registered
332 Posts

It looks like a bright red christmas star. :D :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
300CAWD said:
TWO VIDEOS GUYS.
ENJOY THEM
My paps helped me on this one, he is the big guy pushing the brakes.

Spider vs stock lights meaning the speed at which they come on.

http://www.geocities.com/my300cawdh...idervsstock.wmv

This video is just showing the spiderlite at very close range.

http://www.geocities.com/my300cawdhemi/comparision2.avi

I am gonna go ahead and put both my lights(spiderlites) in after this.
300CAWD,
Your http on the 1st video is not complete and I can't get it to run because of it. Can you please correct.

Thanks

·
Registered
332 Posts
mspeasl said:
300CAWD,
Your http on the 1st video is not complete and I can't get it to run because of it. Can you please correct.

Thanks
Mspeasl,
FIXED the link.

·
Registered
332 Posts
aspendog said:
I'm ready to buy...
Northern,
Would you like to speak with Ron from spiderlite or would like me to speak with him regarding Group Buy Or shall we wait for more feedback from some more members.

Come on guys, we could use some feedback on these lights here.

·
Registered
265 Posts
They look great, I'd be in for buying a set of these... Is there anyway we could get something similar for the bottom half of the light assembly as well?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Great job on the video. That is the way to show the forum how something works.

·
Registered
332 Posts
dkals said:
Great job on the video. That is the way to show the forum how something works.
Thanks dkals,

Its my way of showing that i am doing something for the forum and its also my way of saying of thank you to every one that posted answers and contributed for my threads(whether they are lame or useful). :D :D

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm in for a pair. Remember these are not just for 300's they will fit in most cars.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Group Buy

Count me in. :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Northern,

Thanks for the Review. It's great to see they put LED's on both sides. The side brightness is very important and I'm glad you mentioned this in your review. Looking at the Pics I can see it would be easy to do a mod to them adding 9 Superflux LEDS to the center if it's even needed.

What are the chances of fitting the larger 3 LED's per arm in the 300c Tail lens with some trimming?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I talked to the owner of spider lites and he stated that the Small, Medium, and Large versions are all uniform in brightness. So if you bought the large version it would be no brighter then the medium. No need to try and cram in the large in when the Medium will be just as bright. This is good news as they are under driving the medium and large units. They are probably using the same current limiting driver circuit on all models. This means a double brightness mod would be pretty easy to do.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts