Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will someone with a 2012 300S 5.7 hemi do me a favor. Drive down the street anywhere between 30-65 mph with only the rear window, passenger side rolled down. When I do this, the rumble sound is so loud it feels like my ear drums are going to burst. I just need to see if it is all cars or just mine. I had the dealer check it out but they couldn't hear anything. I'm assuming they either had more than the one window open, or only opened the passenger front window. It only happens with the rear passenger window down (the way my dog likes it) If I roll down the driver window a little bit, it goes away.

Thanks!!!! :chairfall

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

It's called wind buffeting and happens on many vehicles. If one of the rear windows in our SUV are down, I too feel like my ear drums are going to burst.

Here's a good explanation of it: What Causes In-Cabin Wind Buffeting in Cars? - DailyXY.com
That makes perfect sense. Good link too, thanks for that. Interesting to know still if other 300s have the same problem, especially the 2nd Generation with the more "air tite" cabins.

·
Chrysler Customer Service Agent
1,164 Posts
As noted on page 41 of the 2012 owners manual:

Wind Buffeting
Wind buffeting can be described as the perception of pressure on the ears or a helicopter-type sound in the ears. Your vehicle may exhibit wind buffeting with the windows down, or the sunroof (if equipped) in certain open or partially open positions. This is a normal occurrence and can be minimized. If the buffeting occurs with the rear windows open, then open the front and rear windows together to minimize the buffeting. If the buffeting occurs with the sunroof open, then adjust the sunroof opening to minimize the buffeting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts