Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Test Drive

3K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  propus 
#1 ·
Well I've booked my test drive for this weekend. Getting the beast for 24hrs so I can pootle about in the evening and drive to and from work to see what it's like as a daily driver.

I'm looking forward to it and hope it's as good as I'm expecting. This will be the deciding factor on getting a 300CRD or 730D this summer.

I'm also picking up our (nearly) new BMW Z4 next week from the dealer which was a total buzz on it's test drive :biggrin:

Roll on the 300C!!!!

#3 ·
Having driven a 730d, my money's on you opting for the 300c! The 730 to me feels like you are totally isolated from the road with no real feel or feedback, and the spares prices.... let's not go there. Oh, and take my word for it, they are a total pig to work on when it comes to things like brake pipe routing as they get older. In all honesty, the bmw is a nicer quality of interior but I prefer the style of the 300's interior.
Lets face it, we can forgive a bit of quality for the difference in price, eh?

Driven a Hemi yet.......? lol. :arms:

#4 · (Edited)
Hey Badger,

I think I will agree with you. I used to own a V8 E38 style 7 series which I traded in for a new kitchen! I've yet to drive the new E65, but agree the quality in the 7 is better. I know about the BMW spares costs - £2000 for replacement cats! I have been told the E65 is a bit 'floaty' to drive and I prefer the exterior of the 300C hence why I opted to test drive the 300C first. As you say the price difference is crazy. Both are a lot of car, but you pay for it with the BMW.

As for the HEMI, stay away. I have the 3.0i Z4 sport on its way which will do me for when I want a sub 6 second 0-60 :)

I'm still keeping the Micra as my main daily driver though!! Got to love the 18 year old Micra :D

#5 ·
"As for the HEMI, stay away. I have the 3.0i Z4 sport on its way which will do me for when I want a sub 6 second 0-60 :)"

Hmmm... a spot of 'gauntlet-throwing' there? :)
Let's find an unused runway sometime and try a 0-120 time....
has to be at least 120, I can't get traction until I get up to 3rd, lol.
a tankfull of unleaded says I get to 120 before your Zzzzzzzz..... :twak:

:arms: :arms: :arms: :arms:

#8 ·
"As for the HEMI, stay away. I have the 3.0i Z4 sport on its way which will do me for when I want a sub 6 second 0-60 :)"

Hmmm... a spot of 'gauntlet-throwing' there? :)
Let's find an unused runway sometime and try a 0-120 time....
has to be at least 120, I can't get traction until I get up to 3rd, lol.
a tankfull of unleaded says I get to 120 before your Zzzzzzzz..... :twak:

:arms: :arms: :arms: :arms:
When I said "as for the HEMI" I was meaning stay away because I will want one instead of the CRD. We need two cars so the Z4 was a nice choice as a second car. Standard book figures show the Z4 I'm picking up next week as being 1 full sec quicker 0-60 than the HEMI, but I'm not looking for a whose car is quicker argument. There are several slower Z4 roadster models (I think the 2.2 pushes 8 seconds?)and the only quicker one is the Z4 M.

I'm only gonna drive the Z4 every now and then when I fancy a go. The missus will use it to pootle the 5mins back and forth to her work. The CRD will be our main car.

To tell you the truth I've never been into fast cars and the only sports car I've owned I sold on within a few months because it wasn't my thing. - why the Z4 is a good second car.

Anyway anything is an improvement on the micras 0-60 of 15s which is probably more like 18 or 19 with the slipping clutch at the moment.

Looking forward to my test drive tomorrow. I've been givin a limit of 100miles and 24hrs to play with it. Any strange quirky things I should know about? Like the car won't start unless foot is on brake, fuel filler release is hidden inside the boot and the likes?

Cheers

#6 ·
I blew a Z4 away the other night in my hemi,he gave up at 80,there goes the next contestant

#11 ·
No need to worry about me:biggrin: ,its too late for me to change:cool: .lol

#9 · (Edited)
oops, multiple post!

#10 · (Edited)
and again! doh!!

#14 ·
Returned the 300c today :(

All I can say is :D my mind is made up and the hunt begins!

#16 ·
... although I did notice the strange tappety type sound a few guys have mentioned. Sounded a bit like my Micra does as the old mechanical mileometer mechanics spin and click round behind the dash. Still very quiet and I could only hear it when the radio and blower were off.

#18 · (Edited)
Yeah even the blower on lowest setting would drown out the noise. I did notice about 20 people in the 24hrs I had the car looking at it as I drove past. One guy waved at me!! Another guy went to overtake me on the dual carriageway, but pulled up behind me in the other lane and crusied about 2 car lengths behind me for a while before finally going past.

Getting the attention is not what I'm looking for, but the fact that everyone else likes the look of the car is great :)

#20 ·
Latest insurance quote coming in at 288 fully comp! Thats £70 cheaper than b4 new year. I am so sold!

#23 ·
:crying: I want a Hemi, but just can't justify it. Probably couldn't afford to run it either! Didn't want to tease myself by getting a quote - you tease me enough as it is :twak:

I'm considering my options and will decide what I'm doing by the end of this week.

#22 ·
any pics yet?everyone likes to show their "C" off!

#24 ·
Twas just a demo car I had for the weekend. It helped made up my mind that I will get one for sure. I just need to find the right one at the right price. My local dealer are looking as though they will be very helpfull in this matter which is a plus to find a good dealer :)

#27 ·
perhaps I only needed an hour,when the salesman told me to floor it I was sold.lol

#28 ·
Hey Propus, not trying to wind you up here, but have you considered LPG as an option??
I'm in the middle of converting my Hemi at the moment - it's a right awkward sod to convert (too much engine, not enough engine bay, lol!) but it'll be worth it when finished.
I reckon if I get 27mpg on a run on petrol, then I ought to get 21/22 on LPG, which at 56p/ltr means 200 miles will cost me £23.65, compared to the CRD which ought to do 37mpg on the same run but against diesel's 1.10/ltr equates to a cost of £26.99! This, in theory, gives me a saving of £15 per 1000 miles travelled, and that lovely Hemi roar and performance when required......
I intend to put up a post with pictures of the conversion when finished, in case anyone else may be interested.

#29 ·
I have indeed considered it. I was looking into putting LPG into my 7 series, but sold it off to fund home improvements. At that time I was doing more miles since we were a one car family. Now the wife has her own car and we live in town I do less than 4K miles a year so it would take a LONG time for LPG to pay off. I will be interested in seeing how your conversion comes along though :) If I find myself with some spare cash in the future it could always be an option to buy a LPG Hemi. That would of course be your fault! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.