Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
weather getting better, soon about to purchase some good quality polish and wax for detaling the car.....
My routine is usually, wash with two buckets, clay bar, than wash again and dry. Than straight to wax. However after reading alot on this forum, I saw alot of people using a polishing compound before waxing.
This is what I want to do:
1. wash-with a little dawn
2. clay-megurias
3. wash-with regular car wash soap
4. dry
5. polish?
6. wax - using megurias.

What type of products do you use for each step that have the best result?
How often do you clay?
thank you

·
Registered
49 Posts
weather getting better, soon about to purchase some good quality polish and wax for detaling the car.....
My routine is usually, wash with two buckets, clay bar, than wash again and dry. Than straight to wax. However after reading alot on this forum, I saw alot of people using a polishing compound before waxing.
This is what I want to do:
1. wash-with a little dawn
2. clay-megurias
3. wash-with regular car wash soap
4. dry
5. polish?
6. wax - using megurias.

What type of products do you use for each step that have the best result?
How often do you clay?
thank you
I usually rinse the entire car, with a hose, and run my hand across to break up the dirt that's bonded to the paint with road grime/grease. Then wash with meguires soap. Dry using an absorber cloth. Then hit the entire car with polishing compound and a orbital, and finally hand wax with 3m competition wax for that dripping wet look.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used to have a dark green car and would polish everytime I waxed. My next car was silver and I polished it once and never again. I just didn't notice a great deal of difference when I polished the silver car versus when I didn't. Now I have a black 300C and a polish coat is mandatory. So, from my experience, dark colored cars benefit greatest from polishing while lighter colors do not. My recommendation would be to polish this next time you wax, and see if you notice a difference from when you last waxed your car without a polish coat.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does a polish vary between the ones for darker color cars to lighter colored cars? any suggestions?

·
Registered
106 Posts
you mave not have to use clay, its only necessary when the paint has settlements on it. I only use a polisher wax but i also keep mine in a garage. wash the car and dry it and then with a dry hand feel the paint surface for settlements.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in MA so the winters are really harsh...all that salt that has hit the cars cant be good thats why im thinking about claying before the summer so the cars looks good. The car is usually garaged in the winter. I just wanted to know if two times a year is too much claying or not? Does it hurt the clear coat?

I think ill try a polish this time arround and see if there is a difference....

thanks for your replies

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Really aggressive clay can cause fine scratches in the paint, but if you use enough QD it shouldn't be a big deal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts