Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Read the post about using a 3' long zip tie to make a trans dipstick - but I wanted something I could leave in place and not have to search for it every time I wanted to check the fluid + at $10 for the zip tie, it's not cheap. Here's my solution:

1) Stop by the local Chrysler dealer and ask them to check your fluid level (free)
2) Drive to your closest Pick.Pull.Save or Pick & Pull
3) Take a dipstick out of a Dodge pick up with a V8 engine (year not important) - cost $2
4) Take it home and trim it down to make it fit. Trial and error - stick it in the tube, if it bottoms out before it seals up tight to the opening, trim some off the bottom until it seals. I trimmed mine to 32"
5) Once you have the fit correct, start your engine (leave in neutral) and check the level. Mark it for future reference (I notched the side at full hot.)
6) Sit back and admire your work!

I'm thinking of painting mine black - although the yellow matches the oil dipstick, it sticks out too much for me. Think I'll paint it black and make the letters silver to match the engine cover. Here are some pictures:

Attachments

·
Currently Away From 300C Forum
19,565 Posts
Great solution! You could add a BT oil dipstick handle. They look like this:

I bet with a call to BT you could get one and have it engraved as you like such as "TRANS OIL" without the oil can logo

·
Premium Member
6,769 Posts
Brilliant!!!! :fing02:

I'm in on this. And yes, BT should be able to clean it up nicely. :)

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
I like this thread and have given it 5 star rating :yup:

·
19,565 Posts
I think it would be important that Step 2 be that the tech tells you that it's right at full, just below full, etc...and that they top it off to full based on their tool's measurement. That way YOU KNOW your notch is at the right spot for a Full transmission.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it would be important that Step 2 be that the tech tells you that it's right at full, just below full, etc...and that they top it off to full based on their tool's measurement. That way YOU KNOW your notch is at the right spot for a Full transmission.
Good point, and that's what the tech did - he said it was right on the money!

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Full - I think should be 80mm, if memory serves me correctly :yup:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ok I have NEVER owned a car with an auto tranny that I couldn't check the transmission fluid. I checked the manual and it doesn't show mileage for replacing the fluid until like 120k what is up with this??? Car has almost 87k on it now.

·
19,565 Posts
That's the service interval Chrysler recommends. Of course, individual owners may decide to service the transmission before then.

As far as the no-dipstick issue, it's always been like that on these cars. No one at Chrysler called us before they did it to see if it was OK. There are two solutions... 1) the big zip tie option, or, 2) the Miller Tool option.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chrysler 300 tranny

I have a 2006 Chrysler 300 in which the transmission dipstick was shoved in too far and is stuck. If I drop the transmission pan would I be able to see it from there and pull it out the bottom?

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts