Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Perhaps this thread exists somewhere, but I cant find it. I dont care about how much power; I care about drive-ability. Im of the opinion that a centrifugal SC is the way to go. It comes on slow and smooth unlike a roots style. I know all too well about the hard hitting twin screw from a previous Srt. What I want is to be able to drive it normally and only have the power come on when I "Get after it". My previous experience was that I'd get all 650 hp when I least expected it. I'd let off the throttle and the nose would dive. It caused me to want to sell the car, so I did. My question is: can someone that owns a supercharger tell me if they have a different experience with theirs? I believe procharger is a great price point, but I want to know how it is as a daily drive and on long road trips or going over mountains. The mountains would be a great example where you might be part throttle and not wanting to race up the mountain (unwanted surge effect).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator
13,064 Posts
I am in the S/C camp for the reasons you describe. Power all the time, progressive, smooth and the parasitic drag of the unit is small. None of the heat and tuning problems inherent with turbos that I've experienced.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
I had a Vortech centri blower on my 2007 SRT and now have an Edelbrock twin rotor one on my 2012 SRT. Explosive power with the Vortech, but smooth and predictable with the Edelbrock. The centri's can be more manageable than what I had, but I never got around to trying different blowoff/bleed valves and tune changes to try and get it more linear with the power application. The Edelbrock blower drives like it was designed as stock for the vehicle.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just installed my Procharger this winter and haven't got a chance to really get on it yet due to road conditions, but it definitely drives like stock as long as you are easy on the throttle. No issues driving around on the snow and ice covered roads. When accelerating you can feel that point where if you push the pedal a bit more you are going to hit boost.
I don't have anything to compare to though as this is my first FI car.

·
Premium Member
4,515 Posts
Ok I have not supercharged this car (yet) but I've had roots and centrifugal blowers in the past and also twin and single turbo cars. Other than a turbo application where power isn't really linear and does dump on you pretty hard, I have only experienced part throttle surge once in a vehicle and it was with a centrifugal Paxton novi. No supercharger if tuned correctly should part throttle surge, if you had it with a roots I would say it was in your tune, with a centrifugal it could be a bad bypass valve or once again in the tune. With the exception of the Paxton, supercharged cars imo are smooth, linear, constant and near stock at part throttle... sounds like you had a tuning issue that affected your usability and thus your enjoyability. That sucks... I say go roots for a cleaner install, but if your in a hot climate they do soak out pretty good, but to me there is nothing like the sound of a twin screw winding up!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: FASTINFLORIDA
1 - 10 of 10 Posts