Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sat in a Chrysler dealership today and experimented with the MYGIG Navigation system in a 2008 Chrysler 300Touring

While the majority of the features such as:

touchscreen typing
routing options
hard drive access times
and Nav Traffic abilities

were pretty good, I was shocked at how poor the voice recognition technology was.

My biggest problem with it, besides the fact it misheard numerous words (with the exception of simple commands such as "1" and "b" for selecting lines) was that the steps required to input a destination were LONG.
You'd have to basically sit there yelling out commands for around 10 minutes before you were able to get a proper route.
I basically felt that it would be tremendously easier to just type your destination - it would take less than 1 minute.

Furthermore, I found the background LCD display to be quite grainy and dull to my eyes (unlike the outgoing Nav Radio from the previous models) which was shaper though it displayed less info.

I was also dissapointed that the USB input for ipods or mp3 players was on the front of the unit. This means a sloppy cord would have to dangle around in front of you. What's silly about this is that there is an alcove under the radio for storing a digital music player. WHY NOT RUN A USB CONNECTOR AROUND TO THE BACK OF THE RADIO AND HIDE IT INSIDE THE ALCOVE?
That would have been tremendously more intelligent and would only require a drill bore and a wire to the back.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
That's for USB flash drives, I don't believe it works with iPods, anyway the jacks in that location have always bugged the hell out of me.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I sat in a Chrysler dealership today and experimented with the MYGIG Navigation system in a 2008 Chrysler 300Touring

While the majority of the features such as:

touchscreen typing
routing options
hard drive access times
and Nav Traffic abilities

were pretty good, I was shocked at how poor the voice recognition technology was.

My biggest problem with it, besides the fact it misheard numerous words (with the exception of simple commands such as "1" and "b" for selecting lines) was that the steps required to input a destination were LONG.
You'd have to basically sit there yelling out commands for around 10 minutes before you were able to get a proper route.
I basically felt that it would be tremendously easier to just type your destination - it would take less than 1 minute.

Furthermore, I found the background LCD display to be quite grainy and dull to my eyes (unlike the outgoing Nav Radio from the previous models) which was shaper though it displayed less info.

I was also dissapointed that the USB input for ipods or mp3 players was on the front of the unit. This means a sloppy cord would have to dangle around in front of you. What's silly about this is that there is an alcove under the radio for storing a digital music player. WHY NOT RUN A USB CONNECTOR AROUND TO THE BACK OF THE RADIO AND HIDE IT INSIDE THE ALCOVE?
That would have been tremendously more intelligent and would only require a drill bore and a wire to the back.
Well with all that said...i guess it's good that you have an '06. I for one LOVE the MYGIG system.

I do agree that it would be nice for the AUX (not USB) be found else where. They should have put it in the center consol like some other cars.

There is a voice recognition tutorial so that the system recognizes YOUR voice. Kinda like phonix for the car. It works REALLY well when ya go through the tutorial. HOWEVER, it is still easier to type in your destinations.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I just ordered a Nitro R/T with the MyGig. It's due to be delivered in the next month or so. According to the "Dodge Magazine" we just got, the article states "a USB connection is located in the glovebox."

I believe the first models that had the connector in the glove box were the Caravan and Town & Country, because the center console (where you would place an iPod) was not flush against the dashboard, and the cord would have to dangle.

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
I just ordered a Nitro R/T with the MyGig. It's due to be delivered in the next month or so. According to the "Dodge Magazine" we just got, the article states "a USB connection is located in the glovebox."

I believe the first models that had the connector in the glove box were the Caravan and Town & Country, because the center console (where you would place an iPod) was not flush against the dashboard, and the cord would have to dangle.
The MyGIG in your Nitro will still have an external USB port on the front. The glovebox connection is a cable harness for the iPod only.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The MyGIG in your Nitro will still have an external USB port on the front. The glovebox connection is a cable harness for the iPod only.
RS...

do you know anything about there being a connection in the glove box ...or near in the 300. I know there isnt one in my SRT8 but since the caravan (or whatever its called) has it...is there a way for us to utilize it too?

as always, thanks for any input

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
RS...
do you know anything about there being a connection in the glove box ...or near in the 300. I know there isnt one in my SRT8 but since the caravan (or whatever its called) has it...is there a way for us to utilize it too?

as always, thanks for any input
Just to clarify, if you have the RER MyGIG (w/navigation), forget about an iPod connection with control capability, the Mopar adaptor is compatible only with the REN MyGIG (no navigation). Mopar does make an adaptor for the RER but only an FM based version.

Chrysler advertises that their '08 vehicles have the iPod cable in the glove box, but very few of them do. Probably because they realized that the RER radios would not support it. One has to wonder how such a blunder can be made. The MyGIG radios were in development years ago, and they spent several years designing it. Yet somehow they were not able to integrate into it one of the most popular products on the market. The 2009 MyGIG radios will fix this issue, but so far no word on a solution for 2008 owners.

·
Banned
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to clarify, if you have the RER MyGIG (w/navigation), forget about an iPod connection with control capability, the Mopar adaptor is compatible only with the REN MyGIG (no navigation). Mopar does make an adaptor for the RER but only an FM based version.

Chrysler advertises that their '08 vehicles have the iPod cable in the glove box, but very few of them do. Probably because they realized that the RER radios would not support it. One has to wonder how such a blunder can be made. The MyGIG radios were in development years ago, and they spent several years designing it. Yet somehow they were not able to integrate into it one of the most popular products on the market. The 2009 MyGIG radios will fix this issue, but so far no word on a solution for 2008 owners.

I saw an 08 300 that actualy did have the ipod connector in the glove box. I'm really dissapointed in Chrysler for not doing more with the Sebring because for all intents and purposes, that car should have come out BETTER than the Honda Accord.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Chrysler should've paid apple to do the radio for them ;) I know Apple seems more to fit with the 'hip' Audi owners, but I bet more 300C owners have Apple hardware than Audi owners do (they just think they're cool) ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts