Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been following this subject for a while and reading all the hype this car seems to be getting, I don't know about anyone else but this car seems to be the performance car bargain of the decade, goes like stink, 0-60 in less than 3.5 secs, goes rounds corners as fast as any production supercar and drives around town like a Camry and looks great.

I read a piece stating that the factory states 480bhp at the flywheel, and they have been putting them on the dyno in Japan - as its already our there and they have not seen one that recorded less than 470bhp....and thats at the rear wheels! I even saw a clip where one aftermarket tuner has already cracked the ECU and with mods and an exhaust pull another 130bhp out of it.... holy crap, what would this do!!!!

Before anyone starts I know its not a 5 seater and I know its $70k, I'm not trying to compare this with a 300 I'm just stating its outperforms almost everything on the planet and is a fraction of the cost.

I don't know about anyone else but I think I have just found my next new car!

Mark

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I saw the article in road and track and the numbers are impressive.....

I'd don't believe there is a car comparable in price that can put those numbers up?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw the article in road and track and the numbers are impressive.....

I'd don't believe there is a car comparable in price that can put those numbers up?

Your right, all round I think its going to be a massive success, Nissan also promises that there going to make sure dealers that sell it are not allowed to add a premium. The only problem is that this car is made in a factory where only 14 people work...so numbers are are going to be low!

·
Registered
79 Posts
The GT-R is indeed a fine performance bargain. Lambo performance and technology for the price of a vette Z06. But good luck getting one for the first year or two.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That car looks like it might feel like warm honey!

Mmm... Mmmmmm...

But, I'll stick with my C... But it'll be paid off in 3 years...

We shall see what happens.

I think we're going to see a shift in the auto markets, with makers producing bland econo-boxes on one side and absolute monsters on the other. The middle ground may be in jeopardy. The new segment, in the next decade, might be high torque electric cars if they can get battery life up to snuff.

Actually, the makers in the most danger will be the super car makers. With the formula for a reasonably priced high-potency auto out in the open others will surely follow. What if we do see an era where the every-day guy can enjoy Ferrari-like performance and supple interiors for $70k? Wow. This could be huge and we all would benefit.

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
Nissan also promises that there going to make sure dealers that sell it are not allowed to add a premium.
LOL!

This statement (although everyone wishes it to be true) is FAR from the truth. Expect the GTR's to go for $30-$40K over sticker. The car is amazing, no doubt about that, but their whole "bang for the buck" starts to drop off a bit when you bump it up to where they are going to be selling for.

If we only lived in a perfect world...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL!

This statement (although everyone wishes it to be true) is FAR from the truth. Expect the GTR's to go for $30-$40K over sticker. The car is amazing, no doubt about that, but their whole "bang for the buck" starts to drop off a bit when you bump it up to where they are going to be selling for.

If we only lived in a perfect world...
I know what you mean but I was quoting Nissa, by the time i'm ready to change they will have been out for a while.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think by the time I'm out of school and ready to get a new car this is going to be my investment.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I too am drooling over this car, but I'm a little concerned with the image that is going to go along with it. In my mind it's alot like the Evo, it's a hell of a car and a hell of a bargain, but the punk-ass boy-racer image that goes along with one keeps me out of the drivers seat. I don't think that the true supercar makers have anything to worry about, there have been cars that can run with them for a fraction of the price for YEARS. Do you really think that people are buying $260,000 Aston Martins for the performance when you can build a Vette that will romp all over it for under $100,000? Ditto on Ferrarri, Lamborghini, Saleen, Maserati, Bugatti, etc.... Kia has been making cars that are of comparable luxury to Mercedes for years, but I don't see them parked in front of mansions.
There may be better deals out there, but certain cars have certain images. The GTR may be a hell of a fire breather and a smoking deal and able to lap the 'ring faster than a 911 Turbo, but it will NEVER be a Porsche 911 Turbo.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I too am drooling over this car, but I'm a little concerned with the image that is going to go along with it. In my mind it's alot like the Evo, it's a hell of a car and a hell of a bargain, but the punk-ass boy-racer image that goes along with one keeps me out of the drivers seat. I don't think that the true supercar makers have anything to worry about, there have been cars that can run with them for a fraction of the price for YEARS. Do you really think that people are buying $260,000 Aston Martins for the performance when you can build a Vette that will romp all over it for under $100,000? Ditto on Ferrarri, Lamborghini, Saleen, Maserati, Bugatti, etc.... Kia has been making cars that are of comparable luxury to Mercedes for years, but I don't see them parked in front of mansions.
There may be better deals out there, but certain cars have certain images. The GTR may be a hell of a fire breather and a smoking deal and able to lap the 'ring faster than a 911 Turbo, but it will NEVER be a Porsche 911 Turbo.

I understand were your coming from and don't get me wrong if I had $200k to spend on a car the Nissan would not even be on the list, but the fact is I don't, I will be looking in the $60-70k bracket and had consideredd the new M3 & AMG, but now for that kind of money, the GT-R is way out in front!

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
Here's one review:

The GT-R was always going to be a spectacular performance car, but Nissan really has produced something really extraordinary. All those people who grew up driving its successors on Gran Turismo on their games consoles with the means to buy one aren't going to be disappointed. If anything that's perhaps its one shortfall; for all its insane pace and ability, it's not quite as communicative or intimate to drive as some of its rivals, and there's just not enough noise from the engine. Small complaints, on what's otherwise one of the most accomplished performance cars ever built. At under $90,000 it's hardly surprising people are so keen to get one.
FULL STORY HERE

Bernie

·
Registered
379 Posts
I understand were your coming from and don't get me wrong if I had $200k to spend on a car the Nissan would not even be on the list, but the fact is I don't, I will be looking in the $60-70k bracket and had consideredd the new M3 & AMG, but now for that kind of money, the GT-R is way out in front!
That's not what I'm saying. I was rebutting this:
dustybutt said:
Actually, the makers in the most danger will be the super car makers. With the formula for a reasonably priced high-potency auto out in the open others will surely follow. What if we do see an era where the every-day guy can enjoy Ferrari-like performance and supple interiors for $70k? Wow. This could be huge and we all would benefit.
Because the supercar makers are in no danger of losing their clientel to Nissan. Seriously..."Ooooohhh, you know daaaarling, the gentlemen at the country club all have Lambroghinis, I'm considering getting a Nissan to keep face"
it just doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
I've been reading up on this car. To me it looks like the G series car and the Z06 is actually faster. The tests even show the Z06 handles just as good (except dirt, lol) but the Nissan has a rear seat.

My opinion is that this car will bottom out in price very fast. I'll bet it will tank after two years. BTW, it gets less MPG as the Z06 and rides about the same. The Zo6 is non assisted where as the Nissan is turbo.

Lexus is also coming out with a sports car screamer.

Cool car, yes. Great car, no.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Nissan GT-R Price Gouging

All of you hoping for an inexpensive porche/vette beater just keep on dreaming. Because of the limited production numbers this car is going to be in high demand and sold to the highest bidder. Take a look at this excerpt from Car and Driver magazine:

Nissan GT-R Price Gouging - Car News
You thought the gas-guzzler tax would be bad? Try a $60,000 mark-up.

Only a few weeks after Nissan announced that it would begin taking orders for its GT-R supercar comes news of outrageous dealer mark-ups.

The $69,850 base price (not counting destination fees and an expected gas-guzzler charge) for the 2009 Nissan GT-R sounds like a bargain, but across the U.S., dealers are preparing to tack on tens of thousands of dollars to the relatively low sticker price of the GT-R.

Expect an additional $25,000 to $60,000 over sticker, according to Exhaustnote.com which contacted dealers around the country about planned pricing for the car that begins deliveries in June. Globally, only 12,000 GT-Rs will be produced for sale this year, with half earmarked for Japan.

Nissan will dole out a limited number of GT-Rs to each dealership, in many cases the allocation will only be a couple. Some of the dealers contacted said they will conduct makeshift auctions; the highest bidder drives one away. Other dealers will sell on a first-come, first-serve basis, but again, the price is expected to be well above invoice.

Unfortunately the automaker has no legal control over the amount dealers ultimately charge, but Nissan has laid down a few stipulations for GT-R sales to try to discourage price gouging.

See the entire article here: Nissan GT-R Price Gouging - Car News - Car and Driver February 2008

1 - 14 of 14 Posts