Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i really want to order one in about a year...the biggest problem i see in paying $45,000+ (aND OF COURSE I KNOW IT WILL EVEN BE =MORE BY THE TIME I ORDER) is the fact of paying for tires when the wear and new brakes....

i bet the tires will cost over 1 g no? and brakes? the great thing about a performance car is the performance, but the problem with a performance car is paying for fixing/replacing all the performance parts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good point. I know exactly what you mean.

By the way, I hear good things about the Prius.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That's true, but somethings are worth it. Just depends on what your into.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not a Huge difference from the 300C, I'd guess

Yes, as you move up the performance ladder, certain things get more expensive. However, I'd expect that the SRT-8's drivetrain will be pretty bulletproof and, as is the case with most modern cars, fairly low-maintenance.

Tire Rack lists Goodyear RS-A all-season tires in the 245/45/20 size for $178 (no listing currently for 255's), which is about the mid-range for high performance, low aspect ratio tires. I was actually surprised that the cost was this low. All-seasons will give you a longer tread life than summer tires, but you'll lose some warm weather, dry pavement adhesion.

As far as the brakes are concerned, I wouldn't expect that high-performance pads for the Brembos would be much more expensive than regular pads, and the cost of labor should be more or less identical. When you start getting into other brake components, you'll pay more.

A lot depends on how you drive the car, but I wouldn't expect that maintenance will be significantly more than a standard SRT-8, unless you drive aggressively most of the time. However, the SRT-8 will be more expensive in terms of the initial cost, insurance, and fuel. These factors will probably constitute a greater part of any overall difference in operating costs than will maintenance.

I'd also expect that an SRT-8 will depreciate less rapidly than a standard C if you treat it well. If I'm guessing right, this would, of course, offset some of the higher operating costs.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Another consideration is the fact that the SRT-8 only comes with a 3Y/36K BTB warranty :eek: . It does not have the standard 70,000K drivetrain warranty. Chrysler also states in their extended warranty that the vehicles must have a 70,000 extended drivetrain warranty to qualify. So they undserstand that this high performance vehicle has potential for abuse and they don't want to be on the losing end of high repairs. Has anyone heard from other model SRT owners if Chrysler offered them an extended policy?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
How sweet are your grapes?

MattinNashville

Sounds like it's just a little outside your own envelope of financial comfort. Not enough reward in the risk/reward for you? ;)

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
emcfall said:
By the way, I hear good things about the Prius.
My friend Cat would tend to disagree about the Prius:

The little bastard sponaneously combusted at 1am a few weeks back for no apparent reason. Thank god it was parked on the street and not in the garage under her apartment! :mad: :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well it pretty much boils down to the fact that i want the exterrior of the SRT-8 and the interrior of the C and i am trying to weigh all my options

i think the body spoilers and wheels and tires look awsome! that is my only complaint with the C. i wish there was that sharper edge to the bottom of the car. the bubble effect that the c has vs the SRT-8 annoys me. i love the wheels and the brakes offerd with the SRT-8 as well.

however the interior looks cheap to me (at least from the pics) the seats look nice but the last of the woodgrain on the steering wheel and other plces seem to cheapen it some.

oh well, just thinking out loud

·
Registered
152 Posts
MattinNashville said:
well it pretty much boils down to the fact that i want the exterrior of the SRT-8 and the interrior of the C and i am trying to weigh all my options

i think the body spoilers and wheels and tires look awsome! that is my only complaint with the C. i wish there was that sharper edge to the bottom of the car. the bubble effect that the c has vs the SRT-8 annoys me. i love the wheels and the brakes offerd with the SRT-8 as well.

however the interior looks cheap to me (at least from the pics) the seats look nice but the last of the woodgrain on the steering wheel and other plces seem to cheapen it some.

oh well, just thinking out loud
I'm happy that the SRT8 comes sans woodgrain. I think that fake woodgrain is the worst I've ever seen.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You have to factor in the all the costs of ownership when you go the performance route. Performance replacement parts are generally more expensive, you will be paying more for gasoline, synthetic oil is more expensive, insurance is probably going to be higher, etc.

Of course, as you said, you can make a 300 look like a C, you can make a C look like an SRT, etc, but you won't be getting the performance end of the stick. But if curb appeal is what you are after, then certainly you can go that route. Nothing wrong in my mind with creating a more performance exterior to a car to suite your liking.

As for the extended warranty option, Dodge sells the extended warranty on the Vipers (I have it on mine) and I know of several people who have had warranty repair on parts broken under "high stress" situations. A lot of that depends on your service advisor at the dealer you go to, but that is another topic entirely. Daimler Chrysler does not knowingly build performance cars and void warranty unless you drive like an old lady.

I also agree with the depreciation curve will probably be less on the SRT8 due to the more limited production and the niche appeal of the car to performance enthusiasts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow. I had no idea the Prius was capable of such excitment. That's a bummer for your friend and I'm glad no other damage was done. From what I hear, it sounds like getting a Prius is as difficult as getting an SRT8.

My take is that an SRT8 is a performance car, and definitely not an economy car. Cost of ownership is just going to be more expensive than most other cars (pads, tires, gas, insurance, etc). It's not going to worth it to a lot of people, but it is to me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
the trade off of driving a big horsepower car is of course the wear and tear.

this car will especially eat rear tires (one advantage of running equal sized tires front to back= rotatable).

who cares....every thing with 300 plus horses is in the same boat...

get it, drive it and enjoy.

dr dave

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
A bit Hot!

rogue said:
My friend Cat would tend to disagree about the Prius: The little bastard sponaneously combusted at 1am a few weeks back for no apparent reason. Thank god it was parked on the street and not in the garage under her apartment! :mad: :eek:
Great photo.
I wonder if this is the first time a Prius has caught fire "independently"?
Could be a real problem for Toyota otherwise (remember the runaway Audis?).
Already, rescue workers are loathe to pull people out of them after serious accidents:
http://www.gulftel.com/lillfire/Hybrid.html

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
rogue said:
My friend Cat would tend to disagree about the Prius:

The little bastard sponaneously combusted at 1am a few weeks back for no apparent reason. Thank god it was parked on the street and not in the garage under her apartment! :mad: :eek:
sweeeet....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts