Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#1 The general Public doesn't know that the Chrysler 300 has the LARGEST INTERIOR SPACE of any current production car for less than $40,000

Fords,Lincolns and Mercury's have the second highest interior space across their models. But, even if you get into their TAURUS, their MONTEGO or their new LINCOLN MKS, it is easy to see that the 300 has more interior space and a much more comfortable driver cockpit.

GM's are SMALL across the board. Even the DTS and STS has tight fitting everything. That's a result of them chasing after European sports tuning.

#2 The general public doesn't know that the Chrysler 300 isn't just a gas guzzling Hemi C. They don't realize that their is also a 2.7 and a 3.5.

That actually helps me alot because I have a 2.7 and because my car "looks fast" people generally won't try to race me. Unless they recognize what I've got.

My 2.7 gets plenty of use because unlike my gas guzzling, slightly harder to park S550, I don't need to spend $300 a month on premium gas driving back and forth to Manhattan.

#3 The general public doesn't know who the designer, Ralph Giles is and how he is another "Only in America" success story - like Obama.

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
#1 The general Public doesn't know that the Chrysler 300 has the LARGEST INTERIOR SPACE of any current production car for less than $40,000

Fords,Lincolns and Mercury's have the second highest interior space across their models. But, even if you get into their TAURUS, their MONTEGO or their new LINCOLN MKS, it is easy to see that the 300 has more interior space and a much more comfortable driver cockpit.

GM's are SMALL across the board. Even the DTS and STS has tight fitting everything. That's a result of them chasing after European sports tuning.

#2 The general public doesn't know that the Chrysler 300 isn't just a gas guzzling Hemi C. They don't realize that their is also a 2.7 and a 3.5.

That actually helps me alot because I have a 2.7 and because my car "looks fast" people generally won't try to race me. Unless they recognize what I've got.

My 2.7 gets plenty of use because unlike my gas guzzling, slightly harder to park S550, I don't need to spend $300 a month on premium gas driving back and forth to Manhattan.

#3 The general public doesn't know who the designer, Ralph Giles is and how he is another "Only in America" success story - like Obama.
I believe he grew up in Canada-but either way I have to agree with everytjhing you said.I'd add a 4th. the 300 is not a "break down everytime you drive it" Chrysler

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
The HEMI "C" is NOT a gas guzzler, averaging 24-25 mpg, the govt would add the GG tax to the sale price as they do with the SRT8 models (except for the MagnumSRT8 - when they were making them!).

As far as I'm concerned the SRT8s aren't really gas guzzlers either based on the kind of mileage I've been getting... far better than my old T&C AWD minivan.

I think a lot of people are "dumping" the larger more powerful cars without truly thinking through the cost to benefit ratio, particularly when they go out and purchase a pricey hybrid to replace it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I laugh when people get in my car and the first thing the person in the front seat does is move the seat forward to make room for the person in the back.

·
Registered
622 Posts
It would be interesting if the gov't put a GG tax on my 05 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi, which gets 13-14 mpg. I would love to see 23-24mpg.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Im surprised people dont race you, hell the other day i was driving home and took off from a light and when i pulled up to the next light a guy in a dakota or ram pulled up next to me and said "If i had another 100 hp I would have had you". I found this funny since i wasnt racing him lol.
Plus people are shocked when i tell them i get 28 mpg.

·
Registered
300 Posts
300c

Firstly , the front passenger seat sits WAY too close to the glove box that when a six foot passenger sits there they cannot get the seat back far enough . Secondly , my 300Cawd car has had more problems than ANY car I've owned in the past , and I've owned quite a few GM products with alot less problems . Thirdly , in Canada we can't get the 2.7 engine in a 300 and THANK GOD for that ! The 2.7 is nothing but a OIL BURNER , with a lousy reputation for reliability . For a car that is "claimed" to have the largest interior space in it's class , it's interesting that with the sunroof option , the head rest touches the roof liner if the front drivers seat is pushed foreward towards the steering wheel . The interior quality is , "CRAP" to be polite . chrysler says they will revamp the quality of their cars in 2011 , by then all the leasee's will have long moved to another brand of car by then - Smart marketing move I'd say , Bravo Chrysler !
If there is ANY chance that chrysler will survive in the next year or two , than I'd suggest they get their act together now and make the new changes happen A.S.A.P. !
B D HEMI

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
I beg to differ, the only problems I've had were minor, currently 2 lights on the dash are burned out, and I still haven't gotten around to having the ash tray thing fixed. Everything else is still the same as it was the day we got the car!

Well, minus 2 rattles (the amplifier and the defrost vent trim panel by the windshield), both that I'll get around to fixing one of these days on my own. FWIW I don't know who makes perfect cars, Toyota is known for ****ty interiors and Hondas have all sorts of rattle problems.

This car costs like an Avalon or a TL, not a Lexus LS or a BMW 5 series.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
I have had no quality issues on the interior of my 300C; my Magnum R/T or my 300C SRT8. Haven't had anybody complain about the passenger seat being too close - and I have some BIG friends.

Compared to the Caddy CTS, or any GM car, our interiors do measure up as the largest.

Sure, I'd love to have softer materials and better leather, but I can still whomp $80,000 sedans and nothing rattles after 48,000 miles of hard driving across Canada the US and Mexico. Still good value, or I would be driving something else.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Actually one big gripe of mine that appears to just be bad, IMHO, is the floor on the passenger side has a bump for I imagine, the AC duct, and it always messes up the carpets I put over it.

Do you guys have that issue? Or should I have it checked for warranty before mine expires?

FWIW it's clear that the majority of the costs went into safety/performance/features. I know it's not a top safety pick these days, but it was certainly up there when it came out. I think it's pretty clear when you've had a guy get rear ended by a dump truck, another one flip their SRT8 into a ditch at over 100mph, and some other freak accidents where people survived just fine that they definitely spent the money in most of the right places ^_^

I don't give a *@#% about the interior at all. As long as it's in one piece, which it is.

·
Registered
300 Posts
300c

Well my point is that chrysler has not kept up with the competition and obviously based on their sales , the public seems to agree . I have no problems with a first year product to be beaten by other competitors as their will always be improvements , but chrysler has been very slow in reacting to improve their product to stay competitive . Instead like gm and ford they rather discount their product stupidly and devalue their cars beyond reproach ! I'd actually rather pay the higher price for a top of the line product and get the goods (quality) and have the product retain some sort of value and status .
B D HEMI

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
As the previous owner of four Corvette's the newest being a C5 (and the C6 is still the same chasis) GM ain't all that... I don't believe that GM is setting the world on fire, I see a lot of rehashed garbage from all manufacturers.

Chrysler has had issues for a long time.. Issues that require firing everyone and bringing in real talent and PERFORMANCE based pay...

Well my point is that chrysler has not kept up with the competition and obviously based on their sales , the public seems to agree . I have no problems with a first year product to be beaten by other competitors as their will always be improvements , but chrysler has been very slow in reacting to improve their product to stay competitive . Instead like gm and ford they rather discount their product stupidly and devalue their cars beyond reproach ! I'd actually rather pay the higher price for a top of the line product and get the goods (quality) and have the product retain some sort of value and status .
B D HEMI

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
just because you pay more doesnt mean you get great quality products. Its said that a 6 mounth old bmw 7 series has more issues then a 8 year old lexus LS and the BMW costs more. Merc is crap. Toyotas interiors suck ass and the camry is no longer flawless, and the TL is called a rattlesnake by many for all the rattles it has in it. Honda recalled the civic because the gas pedal falls apart while driving and somehow engages full throttle resulting in crashes. In most cases you end up paying for the name, after all many parts are made by the same companies and being canadian like myself you should be familiar with magna. Hell theres even this one plant in europe or asia that makes the same car for 3 different companies (toyota is one of them). Basically what im saying is things arent how they used to be 20 years ago, there is a lot of parts sharing going on to save money for every company.

As for the 6 foot friend issue, your friend must really like his leg room because im 6 feet and feel like i can stretch out in this car.

Btw: Wlecome back Northern Rider, havent seen you on here in a while.

·
Banned
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The HEMI "C" is NOT a gas guzzler, averaging 24-25 mpg, the govt would add the GG tax to the sale price as they do with the SRT8 models (except for the MagnumSRT8 - when they were making them!).

As far as I'm concerned the SRT8s aren't really gas guzzlers either based on the kind of mileage I've been getting... far better than my old T&C AWD minivan.

I disagree with you entirely.

#1 My friend has a Hemi 5.7 and I had to drive him around alot for months when he got a DUI. That car only gets above 20 mpg on the highway, or if you are always driving it with a featherlite foot on the pedal. That car is a gas guzzler in every sense of the word - also considering you are suppossed to use middle grade fuel.

#2 The SRT8 averages 14.5 mpg in my city.

If you want to argue that city driving or heavy driving habits decrease mpg, that's fine...but that car is a gas guzzler and we even get charged a guzzler tax here for them.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Ok but a 2.7 is still a timebomb.. I can afford my gas guzzler.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Since most of my driving is urban or rural I find the Hemi is actually doing quite well on the mileage I receive. I have the greatest respect for the MDS system as it does quite well for such a large car. Comfort, adequate power and pleasant driving make it a nice ride. Now if I do a lot of city driving my mileage becomes as bad as my wife's Jeep. This is my second 300 and I will buy another one the last year the make the Hemi. This is a great car overall.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Firstly , For a car that is "claimed" to have the largest interior space in it's class , it's interesting that with the sunroof option , the head rest touches the roof liner if the front drivers seat is pushed foreward towards the steering wheel . B D HEMI

The sun roof must eat up some pile of space then. Im 6 foot and I have my seat raised to the highest height possible for the front of the bottom part of the seat and slightly lower in the back off of the bottom. I still have 4 inches of clearance between my head and the roof.

I like sitting up higher so I can rest my elbows on the arm rests comfortably.

·
Registered
300 Posts
seat position

Guys I'm 5 foot 7 inches and when I sit in the passenger side I am not comfortable in that seat because it does not go far enough back . My knees are too close to the glove box . As far as head room , if I raise my drivers seat to it's highest position and move the seat forward , my head is within 2 inches of touching the roof liner . So either my liner has dropped quite a bit or something here makes no sense to me .
I'd take a C5 or especially a C6 vette over any 300C or SRT-8 car anytime of the day , it is of a much higher build quality .
B D HEMI

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Guys I'm 5 foot 7 inches and when I sit in the passenger side I am not comfortable in that seat because it does not go far enough back . My knees are too close to the glove box . As far as head room , if I raise my drivers seat to it's highest position and move the seat forward , my head is within 2 inches of touching the roof liner . So either my liner has dropped quite a bit or something here makes no sense to me .
I'd take a C5 or especially a C6 vette over any 300C or SRT-8 car anytime of the day , it is of a much higher build quality .
B D HEMI

Well,

As someone who can claim ownership of both, I highly disagree...

I bought my 2000 Millennium Yellow 6 Speed Z51 Coupe with 3 miles on the odometer and paid 47 and change. I owned the car up to 16 thousand miles. In that time I had to have the seat skins replaced twice (Fabrique En Mehico) the drivers side seat mechanism once (Rocking Chair Syndrome) was recalled due to steering column lock issues that plagued ALL C5's and GM's fix was to "remove" the lock entirely. The QF-5 Forged five spoke rims that I paid a large upcharge for, had burn marks in the polish job which was then clear coated over so they were permanently screwed up in the corner of each spoke and a conversation with a manager at the Bowling Green plant ended like this "They roll don't they? Well then there is no problem". What else? Oh yeah the stock gear shifter was an utter piece of rubbish and those really nice cast magnesium pedals for the brake and clutch were super trick but the plastic gas pedal out of the Cavalier was a really nice touch! The dash was vinyl coated closed cell foam and there was a bad mold line under the grab handle on the passenger side, if you touched it, foam fell off...

That's GM for ya... Want me to tell you how high the quality was on my 89 or 95 or 68 Vette's ?

I bought my 300C off the showroom floor as a demo so you know it was BEAT on test drives. It had 6K miles on it, I am now at 12K miles (and I beat it!) it went back to the dealership to have the oil changed (free of charge) and to have the parking brake adjusted and that's..... about..... it....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts