Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received the following e-mail and wasn't aware it was this easy.

VIN NUMBER

Here is info worth the price of your car...WHAT WILL the car thieves THINK OF NEXT? The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a duplicate key based on the VIN #. I didn't
believe this e-mail, so I called Chrysler-Dodge and pretended I had lost my keys.

They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted.

The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key from the VIN #, and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car. He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local Chop Shop with your vehicle.

You don't believe it? It IS that easy. To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some tape electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across
the VIN Metal Label located on the dash board. By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you CAN cover it so it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief. I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thief steals another car or truck. I slipped a 3 x 5 card over my VIN NUMBER.

PASS THIS INFORMATION ON TO ALL YOUR FAMILY AND
FRIENDS

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
Technically this could work, but the risks are too great for a car thief. The chances of this happening are rare. Most thieves will steal posessions out of the car, or if they're determined they REALLY need your car, will physically remove it and it'll end up in a chop shop.

Here's what Urban Legends Reference Pages has to say about this - Urban Legends Reference Pages: VIN Car Thieves.

Bernie

·
Registered
465 Posts
that does not always work. i used to have an infiniti fx35 and i had to take the car in to have it programmed for the new key. i dont recall if our cars have transponders in the keys or not but you would have to have some insane car/hacker guy to even create one of those keys without the supporting devices to program it.

my FX35 had a dummy key that can be used in case of a lock out but it could not crank over the car. if someone wanted to steal my car that bad, i would let them and then just buy another one. there isnt much you can do to stop someone from taking something they want very badly.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
the dealership or locksmith is SUPPOSED to see proof of ownership (registration or insurance card) before they cut a key from the vin.

In the case of the 300C, if a dealership DID cut a key for someone like that, it would only open the door, but would not start the car. To program the key to start the car the thief would need to somehow get the car to the dealership. But for cars with no computer chip or theft deterrent type key this theoretically could be a problem.

·
Registered
605 Posts
My girlfriend lost her keys and was down in Tennessee, her extra was here in Wisconsin and when she tried to do exactly what you said the dealer asked for the title to make sure it was in her name. I'm sure every dealer is different but they should ask for the title and your i.d. so they know who they are making a key for.

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
The thief mentioned in the Snopes page did exactly that. He falsified ownership papers as part of his elaborate scheme. They went on to say he was in the top 5 smartest thieves. I agree with Kevin that this wouldn't work on the LX's as the key had to be programed to the car. This e-mail scare is from 2002, long before our cars came out with this anti-theft protection.

Bernie

·
Registered
605 Posts
actually rambit it isn't really all that difficult to steal a 300, once a thief is in then he will be "gone in 60 seconds". I have said this before in posts and I'll say it again, I use (keyword here is use) to steal cars, I got locked up for it and the rest is history. The moral is no car is impossible and the computer chip in the key fob that we all speak of is easy to bypass in my opinion and I should know. Hell just ask your local dealer how many cars get stolen a month, I bet it'll shock you.

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
actually rambit it isn't really all that difficult to steal a 300, once a thief is in then he will be "gone in 60 seconds". I have said this before in posts and I'll say it again, I use (keyword here is use) to steal cars, I got locked up for it and the rest is history. The moral is no car is impossible and the computer chip in the key fob that we all speak of is easy to bypass in my opinion and I should know. Hell just ask your local dealer how many cars get stolen a month, I bet it'll shock you.
I'll take your word for that seeing as you state you used to be in the business. Well, that being the case, how about enlightening us on exactly how this can be done on our cars?

I'm not a thief or former thief myself, but I'd sure as hell love to know how this is done and my guess is everyone else would too. There've been other claims of this happening posted here, but no one has come forth to say how. The general consensus has been that the person reporting his car being stolen was lying.

Bernie

·
Registered
605 Posts
well rambit seeing that I am on parole until 2012 I am not going to enlighted anyone with how you could actually go about and do this. I'd rather not get the feds come knocking on my door cause I just told the whole 300c forum how they could steal there own car if necessary. I might have made a dumb mistake in my life before but I sure as hell ain't stupid. I'll just put it this way however it has something to do with shorting out the system.

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
well rambit seeing that I am on parole until 2012 I am not going to enlighted anyone with how you could actually go about and do this. I'd rather not get the feds come knocking on my door cause I just told the whole 300c forum how they could steal there own car if necessary. I might have made a dumb mistake in my life before but I sure as hell ain't stupid. I'll just put it this way however it has something to do with shorting out the system.
Well, can't argue with you on that one, but I will say this. It's pretty decent of you to even admit this. I'd say you chose the right path by the sounds of it. Takes a lot of guts to admit something like that IMO. Having said that, I'm looking you up in 2012!!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
yeah I don't mind telling people what I use to do. I am doing good now so it's in the past. 4 years in confinement will make you think a little different.

·
Registered
471 Posts
How about telling us how to protect our cars?

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
How about telling us how to protect our cars?
I think what he's saying is if he did he'd be telling others how to do it. That wouldn't go over too well for a guy in his situation.

Bernie

·
Registered
465 Posts
you can always do the hidden button trick. some people will have their ignition system tied into their cigarette lighter button. the car will not start unless the button is installed. not every car thief would suspect that quickly. alot of the mustang guys do this trick. some guys actually hide a hidden switch inside their car somewhere (like under the seat or whatever) and has the same effect.

on the 5.0 mustangs, we have an inertia switch in the trunk. it is supposed to trip if the car was in an accident. it prevents fuel flow throughout the whole system. some guys would go back there and pull this switch out and walk away. most thieves would have no idea to look back there. also, having your battery in the trunk can have some added security in case someone decides to lift up your car and bypass your alarm via the battery.

having a 5.0 stang taught me alot about this stuff :)

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Without talking to a Chrysler engineer or someone very enlightened on all the details of the Sentry Key System, I would think the transponder key would communicate with a matching "module" in the car which would then work via the PCM not the ignition (this is a lot more advanced than the GM VATS system which is easily defeated). Still, they sell 300's without the Sentry System so logic would dictate it could be as simple as defeating the module (unplug and bypass the harness).

Alarms, Locks, Club's keep out honest people. A true professional auto thief will GET IT if they WANT IT...

The only thing that stops a thief is a bullet, and unless you are standing there...

NVmyC,

Congrats on changing your life around! I am glad to hear it, I'm also amazed to see you speak so openly about it. Thanks for sharing with us!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I speak open about it cause basically I seen all my car thief buddies not go to prison when I did and they ended up finally getting caught and got waaaaaaaaaaaay more time then I ever did. I did my time which wasn't easy to say the least but I got my life together and got a good job, good car, and a good girlfriend. Life is good. I just need to win the lottery now and my life will be complete.
It's funny cause you mentioned the club as one of the anti theft devices. Well just for everyone to know save your money with the club. All a thief does is cut the rubber of the steering wheel and pop it off. 25 seconds tops and it is off. The best thing IMO that a thief really hates is air horns for when and if the alarm goes off and a motion sensor inside the vehicle. Motion sensors hamper the ability to look in the vehicle or walk up to it and pop the lock to open it up. These things can help most thieves stay away but as stated above by Inferno07 if a thief wants it then they'll take it.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Yeah the club and some other physical imobilization devices have always been a joke for sure. Even if a auto thief wanted to be "high tech" a little squirt of liquid nitrogen (readily available) on the hadened lock shaft of a club and a small tap from a ball peen hammer and it will shatter like glass (takes a second, actually less time than cutting through the steering wheel in some cases).

There is always a way around anything, and if it's really worth the effort then it will be gone.

The best theft deterrent is common sense.. There are many things anyone can do, to reduce the risk or likelyhood.

·
Registered
465 Posts
my roommate had airhorns tied into his alarm. that thing would wake up an entire block. he used it in traffic a few times when people were doing dumb things in traffic.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Ive heard of ppl stealing cars like audis by creating fake ids of the owner of the car then going to their dmv/mto and saying they lost their ownership or that they moved. now that they have ownership they go to the dealer and have them make the key. This happened in toronto a few years back.

As for our cars. I know it is harder for someone to steal them but not impossible. My neighbours 05 GC limited was stolen from his driveway in the middle of the night and the alarm didnt even go off. His GC has the same keys that our cars have. So its not impossible.

Any precaustion you can take is worthwhile. I plan on covering mine up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts