Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made the mistake of parking in a visitors parking spot at an apartment complex with extremely limited parking (Each unit gets one spot, so the people with two cars use up visitors spots... they cant add more cus its carved into the side of a hill.) I get back to my car and see a long lazy scratch in the front and rear drivers side doors. I don't know for sure if someone keyed it but thats what the damage looks like.

Aside from being pissed off, I'm not real sure how to proceed.

It happened like two weeks ago and I'm getting ready to go in for my 12k service this friday so I figured I'd talk with the dealer about it then.

Can anyone tell me how much it should cost in a best and worst case scenario? Best case being it just buffs out and worst case being it needs to be repainted. I don't think the dealership would just try to touch up paint the scratch but I've heard horror stories of lazy dealer staff so I'm not sure.

The scratch is about 2 feet long and the only thing that gives me hope that it will buff out is that when the car is wet you really can't see it. Making me think its only through the clear and not to bare metal.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Run a finger nail threw the scratch. if its deep enough that your finger nail slides in you cannot buff it out.Most likely you have to bring the car to a body shop,cost i dont know.Something like that they going to paint the hole door not just the scratch.I have a scratch also when i use the products in auto part stores like SCRATCH OFF it just hides the scratch until i wash the car then you can see it again.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Damn... I feel your pain. I have limited parking at my condo. I got tired of the dirty notes on my car whenever a certain white VW would park next to me. The VW would write notes (at least once a week) saying,

"Your car is too big and it makes it difficult for others to park... Maybe you should think about getting a car that isn't such a strain on the environment both personally and globally..."
I began to fear for my car being a victim of a hate crime so, I purchased a parking spot, which is MUCH bigger than regular spots.

But now I'm living in fear again... I just broke up with my girlfriend!

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have just gone through this trama and actually still going through it because the dealer can't seem to get it right. But to answer your question it was $900 to repaint and blend.

·
Premium Member
10,829 Posts
So sorry to hear this! I can't believe life is so bad that someone feels they need to key your paint because you parked in a visitor slot they feel they owned or were entitled to. It's very similar in the condo. complex where my brother lives (limited spaces for all those who have too many cars) which is also up against the Cleveland National Forest in SoCal. People even park in the extra space he purchased which was not cheap.

Looks like you might have to start parking on the surrounding streets and just accept walking to the apartment to avoid getting scratched again. Then, you have to hope someone doesn't do something to the car while it's parked outside the complex.

Good luck with your repairs.
bruno

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to clarify, this wasn't at my apartment complex. It was at the apartment complex a friend lives at.

I Have a garage and driveway at my complex (Shared driveway with the next unit but still I have room for 2 cars and visitors parking is abundant).

I've taken to parking at the shopping mall down the street and trudging up the hill when I visit him now. Anyhow, I figure I'll ask the dealership to give me a qoute and then shop around with trustworthy bodyshops (I have another friend that used to work doing bodywork so he knows the score on the local bodyshops).

·
Registered
127 Posts
That S*cks!!!!!!!! I feel your pain......Someone keyed my 81 Camaro Z28 back when I was in High School. Totally pissed me off!!!

I hope that the scratch is not deep enough so that you can buff it out.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
people that do this stuff should have their hands chopped off.

someone at my apartment(first apartment i have lived in in ten years, hate them) just moved in the other week.
he is handicapped, around 20 years old, and parked in the space provided for such disabilities.

his car was keyed THE DAY HE MOVED IN. a black is300 lexus. he came and told me thinkin i may have seen somethin.
i have a garage for this exact purpose.

my car has been vadalized before (while i was in it). those fu***rs went to jail, have fines, and may be sittin in jail for a while with felony assault and felony property damage. Damage over $1500 is a felony.

this sort of damage is covered by your comprehensive insurance, with no penalty to your rate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts