Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I prefer to overthink, overplan, overstock on parts and then finally tackle a mod. So I think next on my list for R&D is the interior, particularly the center console. Already planning on adding some sort of control panel in the ashtray for NoESP, future cutouts, etc. So while I'm digging into it, might as well knock out a few more things... like installing my BT lockout piece, maybe some lighted cupholders, lighted center console, etc.

But then comes to mind an idea I had a long time ago - what about a gun mount??? Anybody done one? I can't find any examples in an LX although I have found some done on other cars - F150 forums, etc. Seems like all of the examples I've seen are pretty weak. Pretty much just a holster bolted to the inside of the console. I'd rather have something that clicks in... even "lockable" if possible. But I also need to figure out how I would be able to secure it.

And along with this, I think I'd like to figure out how to add a lock to the center console... anybody done that? I do have a rear VES, so I think that might limit my space and options a bit.

Anyways, I'm in the research stage now. So I'm open to ideas and you guys always give me good ones. :fing02:

EDIT: The gun I would probably be mounting would be my Taurus PT 24/7 Pro .40

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a push lever retention system... I'd like something like this, but I still want a stronger type of mount rather than a soft holster.

But I do like the retention system - wouldn't be worried about it bouncing out of the mount...

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may not even need you guys... I'm finding ideas pretty quickly!

This one isn't bad... and it's cheap. Looks like a tougher material (maybe a composite or plastic?) and it has a retention button. Not sure about the paddle style for the belt line - not sure how I'd mount it...
ITAC TS1 Taurus 24/7 Retention Level II Roto Paddle Holster | eBay

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So how'd you do the locking center console? I'd like that as well.

I plan to put it right inside the console - here's a couple pics of what some guy did from a Nissan Titan forum...

^^^ I actually really like this style. Small and compact so that it doesn't take up too much room when the gun is not in there. Only problem with these types of holsters are that they don't work with barrel mounted lasers.

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, this might be a dead idea before it even gets off the ground...

Just tried a couple test fits for sizing and realized that the center console is much smaller than I thought. I found that I could really only get the gun in AND close the door if the inside tray is removed and the nose of the gun can be seated lower. Damn VES makes the door too thick.

It does fit upside down facing backwards on the passenger side of the compartment with the inside tray in. But I don't know how I would get some sort of mount in there. It's actually pretty darn snug just sitting there. Here are some pics of what I'm talking about...

So, I guess there are three choices... #1 forget about this idea; #2 get a smaller gun; #3 mod the door to provide some more room. So it's not looking good, but I guess #3 keeps the idea alive. I assume there is nothing inside that big chunky door - it just holds the remote for the VES and I could always relocate that if needed.

Hmmmmm... discouraged, but not defeated... yet.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Great idea. Can u take out the bottom? Make a false bottom it just find a taller console box?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
lol....great idea. But go with mod3, incase you need to pull the trigger fast.

·
Administrator
13,066 Posts
I'd find a way to clip it in, butt pointed up/barrel pointed down, for quick access and proper hand placement on the grip.

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great idea. Can u take out the bottom? Make a false bottom it just find a taller console box?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Not sure exactly what you mean. But there really is very little room - even underneath.
lol....great idea. But go with mod3, incase you need to pull the trigger fast.
Yeah, no sense in having it mounted in there if it's tough to get to.
I'd find a way to clip it in, butt pointed up/barrel pointed down, for quick access and proper hand placement on the grip.
I agree. Ideally, I'd like to have it like in the first pic of my test placement photos above. But again, I can only get it barely to fit with the inside tray out. There's more room on the passenger side of the console... but not much.
People who live in America problems...

God I wish Canada was the same as you
hahaaaaa :rocketwho

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
A couple of ideas if you want to DIY:

First... The simple one:

Now, for the 007 fans out there:

To me... This next one is the way to go. The whole purpose for carrying in your vehicle is defense or protection, right? Well, the last thing I want to have to do is flip open my center console! This is the route I would go (except I would have it back as close to my seat as possible and barrel pointed straight down. The last thing I want to do is shoot my gas pedal foot while trying to get to safety! Ha!):

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Reactions: Fisch

·
Registered
697 Posts
Don't bother with those pop out holsters because people have had negligent discharges when drawing guns out of them.

try these locations.

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A couple of ideas if you want to DIY:

First... The simple one:

Car Mount Gun Holster - YouTube

Now, for the 007 fans out there:
CUSTOM GUN STORAGE DRAWER!!! ★★★★★ - YouTube

To me... This next one is the way to go. The whole purpose for carrying in your vehicle is defense or protection, right? Well, the last thing I want to have to do is flip open my center console! This is the route I would go (except I would have it back as close to my seat as possible and barrel pointed straight down. The last thing I want to do is shoot my gas pedal foot while trying to get to safety! Ha!):

Mostly Concealed, Easy To Reach - Car Gun Holster - YouTube

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Thanks for the ideas. Wish I could afford the 007 option. :) You bring up a good point and the more I think about it, an area that is easy to get to is needed. But, I still want an area to lock it up too. Hmmmm... now you got me thinking about TWO mounts!!
dont try this one, your can bus wire are under the carpet in this location.
Duly noted. Thanks. Can't believe someone would just drive a drill bit through there!
Don't bother with those pop out holsters because people have had negligent discharges when drawing guns out of them.

try these locations.
Yeah, I like that seat location. Haven't heard of discharges when drawing. That's scary. I guess I need a location that is accessible while driving. And then also a more secure way to lock it up in the console if I need to leave it in my car. (To our Canadian friend: We can carry guns here, but not everywhere.)

Being able to lock it up in a solid way when I can't carry it is really my primary goal here. I was hoping to find some sort of pop out locking holster that would serve two purposes: locking it up and also being easy to access. Maybe the solution is two locations afterall. Such as an under-the-seat mount when I'm driving in the car, and then a locking console mount when I must leave it behind. Which also opens up more options for the small console since quick access would no longer be the goal for that mount. Hmmmmmm...

To be continued. Thanks for the help and ideas fellas. :fing02:

·
Premium Member
4,515 Posts
Hmmm.... to me it feels like I'm going to have a hard time pulling that from it's holster in the console... I agree entirely with Grounded on the non-retention style holsters mounted like that, could see issues there as well... on a side note the retention holsters IMO are awesome, I use the Serpa one and it is smooth and constant every time, I can run with it and clear 4' walls all day long and know it's not coming out, perfect for the bumps it may get in a vehicle. Considered the door pocket as an option? Then store it in the locking glove compartment? Just a thought, I know its a left hand draw or a reach over but in the way you had your weapon sitting it looked like a tough draw as well in a pressure situation.

Reactions: Fisch

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmm.... to me it feels like I'm going to have a hard time pulling that from it's holster in the console... I agree entirely with Grounded on the non-retention style holsters mounted like that, could see issues there as well... on a side note the retention holsters IMO are awesome, I use the Serpa one and it is smooth and constant every time, I can run with it and clear 4' walls all day long and know it's not coming out, perfect for the bumps it may get in a vehicle. Considered the door pocket as an option? Then store it in the locking glove compartment? Just a thought, I know its a left hand draw or a reach over but in the way you had your weapon sitting it looked like a tough draw as well in a pressure situation.
Yeah, the door pocket could be a great location. As I think about it, the left hand draw might not be the smoothest, but that location would let me access it and move it to my right hand without being noticed from the outside of the car. Obviously the glove box or center console would be noticeable if I had to reach for those. But those would more likely be the location for locking it up when I have to leave it in the car. I'll look into the Serpa retention holsters - thanks! :fing02:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts