Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm 18 and i'm looking to buy a chrysler 300. I am tired of my old car, which is a 1986 toyota celica gts. I would just like to know what year adn what engine size is best like for horsepower and gas milage.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
i'm 18 and i'm looking to buy a chrysler 300. I am tired of my old car, which is a 1986 toyota celica gts. I would just like to know what year adn what engine size is best like for horsepower and gas milage.
2.7 Liter V6 all the way!

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
I went for the Hemi's in our vehicles, but we rented a 300 Touring 3.5L and took it on a multli-state trip before I purchased any of ours. I would have bought the 3.5L because is got 27-28 highway (actual) and had plenty of power at speed or from a stop. However, I got such a great deal on a used 300C that I went with the Hemi and have never looked back.

IMO, the 2.7L is okay, but a bit undersized for the weight of this sedan (2 tons). I've rented one of those recently and can't recommend it.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
I went for the Hemi's in our vehicles, but we rented a 300 Touring 3.5L and took it on a multli-state trip before I purchased any of ours. I would have bought the 3.5L because is got 27-28 highway (actual) and had plenty of power at speed or from a stop. However, I got such a great deal on a used 300C that I went with the Hemi and have never looked back.

IMO, the 2.7L is okay, but a bit undersized for the weight of this sedan (2 tons). I've rented one of those recently and can't recommend it.

Yeah but Tim, an 18 year old with a Hemi? Can you imagine the insurance? I'm 32 with a perfect driving record I've had four Vette's a 11 second drag car and others... When I bought my 300 my insurance went through the roof! (of course I fixed that by dumping my insurance company). They really enraged me when they charged me +$900 a year for insurance on this car.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
I didn't recommend the Hemi (although I would normally), rather I tried to recommend the 3.5L to cliffer08 over the 2.7L.

And I also forgot to tell cliffer08 (first post) WELCOME to 3CF from our West Virginia LXs in the Mid-Ohio River Valley!

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
I didn't recommend the Hemi (although I would normally), rather I tried to recommend the 3.5L to cliffer08 over the 2.7L.

And I also forgot to tell cliffer08 (first post) WELCOME to 3CF from our West Virginia LXs in the Mid-Ohio River Valley!
I agree.... The insurance should be reasonable and the 3.5's run well.

Welcome aboard Cliffer.

·
Registered
859 Posts
i say go for the 2.7L or 3.5L and pimp the $hit out of it! that way you can get as much tail as u can while your still young LOL

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
buy the 3.5, get one used for like 15k and then save up and get a supercharger for it or turbo.....theres some really nice stuff coming out for the 3.5's.

Or if u just want style get the 2.7 which is what i have and am beyond happy with it since gas was really high.....i couldn't image driving my 5.3 sierra everyday, that alone in gas would kill me.

·
Registered
765 Posts
i would say a pre-owned 3.5L would be the way to go. and then just mod the heck out of it

·
Premium Member
8,955 Posts
I think a pre-owned 3.5 is what you need, and leave it the hell alone!

Modding is a waste of money unless you can really afford it.

Take the modding money and save for college, dating, or a nicer car.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I think a pre-owned 3.5 is what you need, and leave it the hell alone!

Modding is a waste of money unless you can really afford it.

Take the modding money and save for college, dating, or a nicer car.
I agree, 3.5L is good enough for nice drives out in the country but take care not to spend too much money on modding it. Perhaps better wheels and tires and if you have the money (I don't) for suspension upgrades to lower the car a bit. And it does not have a rear sway bar. Eventually you will want to upgrade to another car and typically you won't get any of your modding money back when you sell the car. Note that the 3.5L is no good for traffic light races. It will get beat by even a V6 Toyota Camry, so that's not what the car is for.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I assume you will have support from your parent
these cars have problems sometimes and can be very expensive to fix if out of warrnaty, the good news is you can pick them up used really cheap 12 13k should get you a nice 2.7 or 3.5 watch out for "formal rental"

for 17k+ you can get a nice used hemi 300c

·
Premium Member
8,955 Posts
I assume you will have support from your parent
these cars have problems sometimes and can be very expensive to fix if out of warrnaty, the good news is you can pick them up used really cheap 12 13k should get you a nice 2.7 or 3.5 watch out for "formal rental"

for 17k+ you can get a nice used hemi 300c

Go to cars.com

There's dealers letting Hemi's go for as low at $14,700 with only 19,000 miles.

·
Registered
204 Posts
As long as you don't want to be racing anybody I would suggest a 3.5. It's not a fast car, so don't expect a fast car. It moves the car and that's all that really matters. At your age, a V6 would be a better choice IMO. I remember when I bought my first car at 18 I had a few speeding tickets on my record and my insurance was $260/month, which was more than my payment on the car. That was for a 4 cylinder economy car, too. :dead1:

A good used 3.5 will be more than good for you. You don't need to be racing anybody anyways. :fing02:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a magnum with the 3.5L and I thought it was great. It was quick and had enough power. When I bought it, I made sure that I didn't drive anything with the hemi. If I had the 3.5 would have felt less than enough. but since I didn't, I felt that it was the best engine overall for the car (enough power, and 25MPG around town, and much cheaper insurance). If you get it you won't be dissapointed.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Just for info, when I had the 3.5 300 I got a little better than 3mpg more per gallon both in town and on the road over my Hemi. The 3.5 is very adequate and does a great job will keeping insurance premiums lower. To me having the Hemi has spoiled me and if I never drove the Hemi I would have been happy with the 3.5 but a Hemi makes you smile, even though it is more costly. Buy what you can afford and you will enjoy either one.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Just for info, when I had the 3.5 300 I got a little better than 3mpg more per gallon both in town and on the road over my Hemi. The 3.5 is very adequate and does a great job will keeping insurance premiums lower. To me having the Hemi has spoiled me and if I never drove the Hemi I would have been happy with the 3.5 but a Hemi makes you smile, even though it is more costly. Buy what you can afford and you will enjoy either one.
Yes you honestly need to buy what you can comfortably afford. The Hemi is a great motor and the car runs strong with the v8 as it should.. The down side is that if you can not exercise self control (and I rarely can at 32) I wind up burning through $50.00 a week for gas.... :) Oh yeah and my tires are almost bald at 13K miles so a new set of GoodYear Assurance need to go on, before winter.

I say the 3.5 is where the smart money is at! :)

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
:]

I spend >$50 a week in gas, but my stock contis lasted until around 26,000 miles ;) Gee I wonder why!

I think even a 300C is a great choice for an 18 year old, it's a fast car but it doesn't have the stigma of a fast car (eg a mustang, WRX, or any other 'fast car' car you can think of). Thus, you don't have to worry so much about unwanted attention and/or acts of vandalism, especially if your car is stock.

OTOH if your intention is to go street racing.. forget it, plus since it's a big car with a V8, maintenance costs aren't unlike a pickup.

But there are some advantages, personally I still don't see the 'light' when it comes to FWD cars and transverse engine bays/transaxles (eew), they always seem to eat through engine mounts after a couple of years. XD

I dunno wtf I'm talking about, so I'll shut up now, just thought it was a funny thought :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
3.5L sounds good, but...

3.5L is good i agree, but the 300 doesn't have a decent resale value, you can even try the forums and look around if their are any already moded 300s for sale saves you the work more cruising!:fing02:

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
For *@#%'s sake, he's 18 and dumping money into a car, cars are NOT an asset, they're a huge liability. Next, you're going to talk about roth IRAs and stuff..

I think he is being responsible - which would you rather spend $13k on? A used 300 or a used Civic?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts