Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

"This is a Race Car"

7K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  MrMopar 
#1 ·
So I went to my favorite tire shop and got my third set of F1's installed today. I bought the tires from a fellow forum member in NY (Thanks Everett) for a great price. Getting 4 F1's into my 300C SRT-8 was fun! (kinda like doing a Rubic's cube) When I got to the tire shop I asked if they would mind if I got rid of the remaining tread on my bologna skin rear tires before the install. "No problem" he said, just stay on the concrete and off the asphalt. They didn't want me to rip the blacktop off the asphalt (literally). The concrete goes parallel to the bulding then wraps around to the front office with the big picture windows. So I backed up to about 10 feet from the rear wall and "Let her rip". I'm talking NHRA style, smoke billowing out of the wheel wells, power brake, easily 100 foot long burnout, and at the end hung a right towards the front office and picture windows (remember, I had to stay on the concrete). The look on the faces of the mechanics and the manager and the customers in the waiting room was, I dare say, PRICELESS! They all thought for sure I was about to install a new "Drive Thru"!

Of course, with my awesome SRT-8, controlling the burnout and stopping well before installing said "Drive Thru" was not a challenge. (God I love this car!). So, after coming to a stop I back up a bit and circle around the parking lot back to the bay awaiting my car. Holy S%$t, is there a damn forest fire around here or something? I laughed my ass off as I saw the entire building engulfed in rubber smoke. When I got out I said, "Sorry, the traction control must have been off". Everyone was standing outside with their mouths hanging open. Jeff the manager said, "I thought you were gonna lose it over there" pointing towards the front windows. "Nah" I said, "Just making sure I stayed on the concrete". After a good laugh and lots of positive feedback and comments like "No wonder he needs tires", we got to work. We used one of those lifts that has two towers and arms that reach in from the sides and put the car up. Kevin, my trusted mechanic for 17 years now, inspected the underside of my car with me and tightened all of my muffler clamps (thanks Meister for that tip). Then we yanked all four wheels and started the tire transplant. As Steve pulled each wheel, I cleaned the back side of each rim, then after he removed each tire I cleaned the inner portion. Then after he installed each tire, Bill removed all wheel weights and rebalanced each wheel. Then Steve and I cleaned any residue from previous wheel weights and Steve remounted the four wheels and torqued the lug nuts. Then we bagged all four used tires (a few chunks seemed to be missing from the rears) and jigsawed the bagged tires back into the car. I tipped Steve and Bill and Jeff and was about to leave when Frankie started egging me on to "Light 'em up". I thought about it for a split second, no way. I turned off my GSM Torque Mod, left the ESP on, and put the car in "Drive": 3 things I never do. I drove out and felt my car with all new rubber, driving smoothly, and I kid you not, it felt a little bit taller (probably due to having tread on the tires). This lasted about 10-15 minutes. I get on the 101 freeway and the traffic sucks! No surprise, it's Friday afternoon. A few miles into the ride I spot a black SRT-4 in the left lane. I get in the middle lane and get next to him, roll down my window and gave him props: "Nice Car" I said. "This is a Race Car" the passenger said, "So is this" I said, and punched it! With traffic, it was only a 2nd gear punch and then decel. I slowed down and they rolled up on my left, "What engine do you have" the passenger asked, "6.1 Hemi, this is an SRT-8" I replied (I don't have the SRT-8 badge anymore: Stealth) Thumbs up from both driver and passenger. Just then my buddy Eddie calls, he's got me on speaker in his Magnum SRT-8 and I've got him on speaker in my 300C SRT-8 (I Love U Connect) and we compared notes. He's on the same freeway on the other side of town crawling. I told him about the SRT-4 and as were playing Eddie can here everything, including the Pop Off valve on the SRT-4. "I'm barely moving, how come you get to have all the fun?" Then I thought "Screw this" and decided to turn on the GSM Mod. As I recall, the car needs to be off to turn it on, so I put the car in neutral, turned off the key, hit the toggle switch and restarted the car and put it back in "Drive" "Oh S%$t" Eddie heard me exclaim. No power. The car is running, the tach is barely rising with WOT. Crap, it's in Limp Mode. I pulled onto he shoulder shut it down, Restarted without the Torque Mod, no problem. Shut it off, enabled the Mod, started up and Voila, everythings okay. As I look ahead I see the SRT-4 on the shoulder ahead, backing up: (my brothers). I put my directional on and started to merge back into traffic. Then further down the road a bit traffic started to open up. 60 mph (2nd gear) and I let the SRT-4 hit it first (mistake) damn that car is quick. I stayed with him, but didn't pass him, then we both slow down because of the lappers (I mean traffic). Next opening, 60 mph, we both hit it and I got the best of him, but not by much (damn that car is quick) we played for a while and then I saw a black BMW 545i in the middle lane ahead, I eased into the left and rolled up next to him, all mild and civilized like. Then as we were side by side, I grabbed second gear (about 60-65mph) and punched it! I looked back and see that he has accepted my invitation, and is in the left lane, speeding up. So I slowed down in the middle lane, thinking we can all play. Nope. He's just gonna fly past me. Oh, hell no! As he was about to fly past me I punched it and killed him. He had a good head of steam and thought he was gonna just fly by. From about 60 mph in second gear I crushed his dream of spanking my 300. Then I slowed down and sure enough he rocketed past. The SRT-4 came up on my left and we all got a chuckle at the Bimmers expense. Then I realized I am about 3 exits past my destination. Thumbs up to the SRT-4, exited the freeway, hung a U turn and continued my errands.

So what did you do today?

See less See more
#28 ·
Meister said:
Here's the video follow up to post 12, made several days later, and gererously hosted by grinner: http://grinnerhester.com/MeistersBurn.mov

LOVE IT!!!

suggestion for you though...
Get your camera person upwind next time...
you of all people knowing wind and its characteristics...:wink1:

STILL LOVED IT WINGMAN!!!

#29 ·
cbutler32 said:
LOVE IT!!!

suggestion for you though...
Get your camera person upwind next time...
you of all people knowing wind and its characteristics...
Chris, Chris, Chris - where is your sense of cinematic impact? ;)

Do you actually believe Hitchcock or Spielberg would have been shooting from upwind? :pat:

#30 ·
Chris

Meister said:

Do you actually believe Hitchcock or Spielberg would have been shooting from upwind? :pat:
You'll have to excuse Chris: He's obviously confused!

He must be thinking of the old saying about not Spitting/Pissing into the wind.

Smoking Conti's is a whole 'nother story!

Nicely done Meister!

#31 ·
what makes the video is the grin that appears out of a total white frame that was sustained for several seconds due to being downwind of the smokage.
props to the driver, the director, the camera dude and the freaked out person driving by wondering what the hell was wrong with that poor old guy's 4-door sedan.

#32 ·
Meister said:

noooooooooooooooooo...
cause I wanted to see another 12-15 seconds of burnout...
and you stopped when you lost sight of your "director"...
and they failed to do any close ups of the "cord"....

Kidding everyone...
always kidding...
My wingman knows what I really wanted to see...

honestly...
glad to see you practicing safe burnouts...:wink:

#34 ·
...yes, those SRT4's are bad arse.
My 04 SRT-4 was pushing over 300Hp at the wheels with Stage 2 installed. My best was 12.57@111.17 in the 1/4 mile. Same car with better driver than me would hit 12.3 sec, around 113. Not bad for a 2.4 L 4 banger! I understand the new SRT-4 (Caliber) will be on the showroom with 300hp at the wheels and AWD! Expected to be a wild sub 5 sec ride 0-60. Unfortunately, deteriorating nerve tissue on the left side forced me out of the manual based vehicles (clutch foot). So I have to play with the autosticks now.

Mr MoPar

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.