Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got into my car to head home last night, and i threw an engine light :puppy_dog it wasn't bad fuel or a loose fuel cap, as i was mostly empty and hadn't been to a gas station for almost a week. i filled up anyway 'just in case', but this morning the light is still there... taking it into dealership tomorrow for oil change (2K miles) and to check this out...

is there any way i can check the code with the EVIC? any guesses as to what it is? (i know, could be a zillion things, but could be fun to see who gets it right)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
doctorno said:
so i got into my car to head home last night, and i threw an engine light :puppy_dog it wasn't bad fuel or a loose fuel cap, as i was mostly empty and hadn't been to a gas station for almost a week. i filled up anyway 'just in case', but this morning the light is still there... taking it into dealership tomorrow for oil change (2K miles) and to check this out...

is there any way i can check the code with the EVIC? any guesses as to what it is? (i know, could be a zillion things, but could be fun to see who gets it right)

pull fuse 11...
if it is still lit after pulling fuse 11 after you turn it back on...
yeah, take it to the dealer...
last couple of times...
mine was a losse O2 sensor...
I just pull the fuse out and let the system reset itself...
and no problems...
usually the darn thing happens at low speeds and low rpms...
go figure...
hope that helps...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cbutler32 said:
pull fuse 11...
if it is still lit after pulling fuse 11 after you turn it back on...
yeah, take it to the dealer...
last couple of times...
mine was a losse O2 sensor...
I just pull the fuse out and let the system reset itself...
and no problems...
usually the darn thing happens at low speeds and low rpms...
go figure...
hope that helps...
will try that. if the light goes out, did u put the fuse back in??

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
doctorno said:
will try that. if the light goes out, did u put the fuse back in??
yes.

turn the car on...
see if the light is lit...
if it is...
turn car off...
pull keys out...
open hood...
pull fuse 11...
some say let a minute go by...
if you want to stand around go ahead...
20 seconds works fine... hehehe guys...
put fuse back in...
start car...
no check engine light...

now if light is still lit...
take to dealer...

if light is blinking stop pull over and have towed to dealer...

the last one thrown in for people that might gloss over this one when readin their manuals...
manuals?!
manuals?!
I don't read no stinking manuals!

This should clear your problem.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cbutler32 said:
yes.

turn the car on...
see if the light is lit...
if it is...
turn car off...
pull keys out...
open hood...
pull fuse 11...
some say let a minute go by...
if you want to stand around go ahead...
20 seconds works fine... hehehe guys...
put fuse back in...
start car...
no check engine light...

now if light is still lit...
take to dealer...

if light is blinking stop pull over and have towed to dealer...

the last one thrown in for people that might gloss over this one when readin their manuals...
manuals?!
manuals?!
I don't read no stinking manuals!

This should clear your problem.
hmm...lunchtime fun!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
doctorno said:

Put your key in ignition - Quickly twice rotate key : acc-on-acc-on and there will be a code that flashes on your digital display. Once it gives the code, it will then say "done". - Give me the code # and I can tell you what the problem is.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QuikSilver said:
Put your key in ignition - Quickly twice rotate key : acc-on-acc-on and there will be a code that flashes on your digital display. Once it gives the code, it will then say "done". - Give me the code # and I can tell you what the problem is.
hmm, just tried that, nothing happened.

·
Registered
39 Posts
doctorno said:
hmm, just tried that, nothing happened.
I apologize - It's actually 3 times : On-Acc-On-Acc-On-Acc and where the mileage odometer usually reads it will come up with dashed lines "--------"
and then codes that read "P0128" (example only) and then "Done"

Try it and let me know what code #(s) comes up?

Hope this helps

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
got it; the code is P 0131. help!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
The oxygen sensor signal voltage is below 1.5 volts for 3 seconds after starting engine. One Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.

Possible Causes
(K902) O2 RETURN UPSTREAM CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
(K41) O2 1/1 SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
(K41) O2 1/1 SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO (K902) O2 RETURN UPSTREAM CIRCUIT
(K41) O2 1/1 SIGNAL SHORTED TO THE (Z904) O2 1/1 HEATER GROUND CIRCUIT
O2 SENSOR
PCM

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Steve Desjardins said:
The oxygen sensor signal voltage is below 1.5 volts for 3 seconds after starting engine. One Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.

Possible Causes
O2 SENSOR
PCM
thanks...whatever that means! looks like probably something minor though.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
doctorno said:
thanks...whatever that means! looks like probably something minor though.

not enough to stop you smiling while driving...

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Steve Desjardins said:

Possible Causes
O2 SENSOR
PCM
Good info, Steve.

All - Remember the practical application ofcbutler32's tip: The "Three good trips to turn off the MIL" cited by the manual is easily replaced with a single quick & simple pull & reinstall of fuse 11.

As with any electronics, don't consider a "sample of one" significant. If the CEL repeats after a couple of resets, it's dealer time.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I disagree the advice. Anything related to an O2 sensor, especially bank 1 sensors(the before cat sensors that feedback to the PCM for tuning) are serious and should see the dealership as soon as you have time. If is was a post-cat O2, then I wouldn't be so concerned.

Todd

·
Registered
701 Posts
WhiteDiamond said:
I disagree the advice. Anything related to an O2 sensor, especially bank 1 sensors(the before cat sensors that feedback to the PCM for tuning) are serious and should see the dealership as soon as you have time. If is was a post-cat O2, then I wouldn't be so concerned.

Todd
Well in the our Benz ML430 owner's manual, it states that these CEL events (almost always related to the emissions system) be random, i.e. go to the dealer if they recur or don't go away by themselves. Is the system really different on the Chrysler,

·
Registered
701 Posts
WhiteDiamond said:

Todd
Well in the our Benz ML430 owner's manual, it implies that these CEL events (almost always related to the emissions system) can be somewhat random, i.e. it says to go to the dealer if they recur or don't go away by themselves. Is the system really different on the Chrysler? On the other hand, the Benz doesn't give you the ability to find out the code by yourself, so I guess that knowing this specific code might tip the balance toward having the dealer look at it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
artichoke said:
Well in the our Benz ML430 owner's manual, it implies that these CEL events (almost always related to the emissions system) can be somewhat random, i.e. it says to go to the dealer if they recur or don't go away by themselves. Is the system really different on the Chrysler? On the other hand, the Benz doesn't give you the ability to find out the code by yourself, so I guess that knowing this specific code might tip the balance toward having the dealer look at it.
The point being that you reset it yourself and the PCM did not reset it by normal drive cycle. As you said, if it had gone away without your reset, then I would be inclined to agree with you.....

Todd

1 - 20 of 28 Posts