Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure of the cause, but if my wheels are turned on my Magnum and I want to smartly accelerate into traffic, I think the throttle is somehow controlled (decreased) by the computer and this situation will kill someone if they are not aware. It happened to me 2 or 3 times.

Anyone know of a way to defeat this? I don't know if turning off the ESP will do it.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
As frustrating as it is, I don't believe that there is a way of defeating those instances. If you don't "gun" the car from a dig, it starts in 2nd gear. I thought that the Predator was going to allow that logic to be defeated, but alas that didn't happen. Also, the adaptive logic in the TCU will turn our cars in grannys if we don't go "balls out" all of the time. I kind of miss the old days when the tranny was controlled by how much gas we gave to the car, not by some computer that thinks it knows better.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
I don't think the car actually starts in 2, it shifts really quickly into 2nd if you are light on the throttle, but from a stop it always starts in 1.

Eric

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I don't think the car actually starts in 2, it shifts really quickly into 2nd if you are light on the throttle, but from a stop it always starts in 1.

Eric
Well, ok, maybe it does start in 1st. But it shifts to second in less than one second and the shift can't be felt.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
Well, ok, maybe it does start in 1st. But it shifts to second in less than one second and the shift can't be felt.
Agreed, and I hate how the RPMs just seem to kind of roll from gear to gear like in a CVT-trannied vehicle.

Eric

·
Registered
622 Posts
Try using the autostick and keep it in first.

I notice that when I back out of the garage, then shift into drive, there is a hesitation for forward movement.
It's annoying but I deal with it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I think the throttle is somehow controlled (decreased) by the computer and this situation will kill someone if they are not aware. It happened to me 2 or 3 times.

Anyone know of a way to defeat this? I don't know if turning off the ESP will do it.

Its all computer controlled, just like your Vette. Theres no cable between the pedal and throttle body. The computer sends an electrical signal to the throttle motor and opens and closes the throttle valve. Pressing the pedal is like turning a potentiometer, it just varies the voltage.

·
Registered
931 Posts
i dont understand why this situation would kill someone?? if you are in a scenario where you need to clear an intersection very quick. then all you need to do is put your foot into the gass pedal a little more. the only way the car shifts quickly into 2nd, is if you are below 1/4 throttle or so. the car is doing what it is supposed to. if you dont tell it you want to move, it wont go.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I'll bet it is ESP. I have had the same experience, car bogs down big time when trying to make a quick hard right turn. But I am usually moving before I make the turn. I don't recall ever having a bogging problem from a stop. On the SRT8 I think there are 2 levels of ESP disable. Try the full disable mode and see if that fixes your problem.

·
Registered
358 Posts
It's the ESP!!

It's the ESP. The computer activates brakes as it appears that you have lost control of the vehicle and are heading for the nearest ravine. By turning off the ESP to any detent, you'll usually correct this problem. It's a good idea to do that BEFORE you start turning out of the laneway and start seeing the bumper of a semi heading towards you! :scared:

Dante!

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
get the predator,it lets you spin up and go with the ESP still on

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
seconded

one of the best features of the predator is the higher threshold of ESP intervention. It moves everything way further out in the performance envelope where it is less intrusive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts