Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... It just finally got cold here in Texas today, and whether or not the temp is a factor I felt a slight thump/hard slam each time I came to a stop light.. I never felt it before, or it was there and I just never payed attention to it. It happens a split second before coming to a stop... Any of you have this happening in your 300C's? Will the Lucas Stop Slip help? Other than being abe to feel the downshift in the pedal, the tranny shifts perfectly and right on time with no other issues. Only other thing is am half way through a tank of Seafoam now... Engine had a slight stumble at idle, and it appears to have fixed it completely!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The favor of reply would be appreciated... You can't tell me no one else here has experienced this, or has any helpful input towards a remedy. I called a tranny shop and it was suggested I have some LUBEGARD put in, as a valve may be sticking... I also did some research and found out the tranny is SEALED? WTF!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I've never liked additives so I won't comment on that part of it. I'm not finding anything on alldata.com ref. the thump. A good place to start I'd say would be to replace the fluid. My local guy does it for $125. Figure between $150-$250.

This same transmission was in my 01 MB S430 and the dealer said "the only service we can do is replace the trans because it is sealed". They then tried to convince me that after 130,xxx miles, the transmission fluid would be like new. BS... I took it to another dealer and they flush the system through the cooler lines. It was two quarts low and like thick coffee... Then I sold that hunk of junk and got my SRT8. Alls well that ends well

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
The favor of reply would be appreciated... You can't tell me no one else here has experienced this, or has any helpful input towards a remedy. I called a tranny shop and it was suggested I have some LUBEGARD put in, as a valve may be sticking... I also did some research and found out the tranny is SEALED? WTF!!!!!!!
The transmission is no more "sealed" than any other automatic. There just isn't a dipstick, that's all. There's still a cap where the dipstick should be and you could pour your additive in there.

I work at an auto parts store and deal with professional technicians as well as do-it-yourselfer's, and we sell all the additives. I'm not a fan of additives usually, but I will say that the ONLY transmission additive that a professional automatic transmission tech will ever recommend or use is Lubegard. I have a good friend who owns a transmission shop and EVERY transmission they overhaul has a bottle of lubegard added to the fluid, and every shop I know of uses it too, and no other additive. I'm thinking that because of that, lubegard is the one that is least likely to be "snake oil" :)

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Yea, I have that from time to time (I've noticed it when upshifting on the freeway before too). I'm going to be getting a tranny fluid change ASAP but..

hey a tech!

How do you guys feel about flushing it vs dropping the pan? The dealer here charges something like $130 for a flush and $199 for the one where they actually drop the pan.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Yea, I have that from time to time (I've noticed it when upshifting on the freeway before too). I'm going to be getting a tranny fluid change ASAP but..

hey a tech!

How do you guys feel about flushing it vs dropping the pan? The dealer here charges something like $130 for a flush and $199 for the one where they actually drop the pan.
you're wasting $130 if you don't drop the pan. The dirty filter/screen is still in there. I'd check with some reputable transmission shops too however, seems kind of high to charge an extra $70 for the filter and pan gasket and not much time required to change them.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've never liked additives so I won't comment on that part of it. I'm not finding anything on alldata.com ref. the thump. A good place to start I'd say would be to replace the fluid. My local guy does it for $125. Figure between $150-$250.

This same transmission was in my 01 MB S430 and the dealer said "the only service we can do is replace the trans because it is sealed". They then tried to convince me that after 130,xxx miles, the transmission fluid would be like new. BS... I took it to another dealer and they flush the system through the cooler lines. It was two quarts low and like thick coffee... Then I sold that hunk of junk and got my SRT8. Alls well that ends well
I like Lucas, but I don't necessarily like it in all my cars. I don't think the fuel additive did anything for my 2012 300. In the past, my older cars ran better on it. Usually helped clean up emissions, smoothed out the gears (I've used oil and fuel additives only). I never messed with the tranny fluid unless I had major problems...which even with the litany of issues I had...that was never one of them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2010 300touring, and now the trans seems to slip or have hard shifts. Has anyone an idea to the cause or any solutions. my dealer wants $114 just to look, and if it is something that someone here knows of, and can offer me some advice it would be appreciated. BTW I have a 3.5 engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know that my 05 3.5 had the same issue and the fix was get the latest pcm flash from the dealer but then i found out the ac evap condensation drain tube is directly above the fill on the tranny and caused water contamination. i dont know if they fixed that on the newer ones yet

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know that my 05 3.5 had the same issue and the fix was get the latest pcm flash from the dealer but then i found out the ac evap condensation drain tube is directly above the fill on the tranny and caused water contamination. i dont know if they fixed that on the newer ones yet
Thanks, the dealer is looking to see if taking those steps are covered under my factory, and extended warranties. If it is just a simple software upgrade. I will be very please to know that I can look forward to. A long, and customized relationship with my ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I changed my tranny fluid last week (did it myself). I'm at 50K & fluid was thick and black. How they say you dont need to change it blows my mind. The magnet had plenty of metal shards to clean up as well. Fluid change did nothing for the hard downshift into 1st
Here's what was weird to me, maybe I just never noticed this on other cars ..
After the fluid sat in the drain bucket for a while it started to separate. Not sure what else to compare it to, like fat floating on top of soup when refrigerated (stop laughing I'm being cereal).

Is this normal??

Edit: also, I should have actually READ this thread before attempting to change fluid. Noted: Check for dip stick BEFORE dropping pan..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been having the same problem with my 2006 5.7 AWD. Bought it three months ago, and didn't notice it on the test drive. One previous owner, looks brand new inside, out, and underneath. Drives perfect until slowing down into a red light/stop (down-shifting into first gear), and then it slams! You really feel it, too. So much so that passengers have mentioned it. I'm debating whether to bring it back to the dealer, (under warranty, but the mechanics are meat heads) or find a local garage. Any more suggestions, information? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
teabeats let us know what you hear back on that. I took it to a shop and they acted like I was a tard, said it's not throwing any codes so there's no problems. No sh*t, it's obviously not throwing a code. Was wondering if perhaps it's some issue with the computer.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Are you guys using autostick when this happens?

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
I changed my tranny fluid last week (did it myself). I'm at 50K & fluid was thick and black. How they say you dont need to change it blows my mind. The magnet had plenty of metal shards to clean up as well. Fluid change did nothing for the hard downshift into 1st
Here's what was weird to me, maybe I just never noticed this on other cars ..
After the fluid sat in the drain bucket for a while it started to separate. Not sure what else to compare it to, like fat floating on top of soup when refrigerated (stop laughing I'm being cereal).

Is this normal??

Edit: also, I should have actually READ this thread before attempting to change fluid. Noted: Check for dip stick BEFORE dropping pan..

EXTREMELY BAD! You likely have water in the trans.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have just started having this come up on my 2006 300c Hemi with 176,000 miles. I have by the way purchased a dipstick designed for this cars tranny, I have sucked and replaced several quarts of fluid using the tube, All looks great and smells good. I have had a mechanic tell me that the slamming of the down shift is probably loose mounting bracket’s, I have had this on other cars.
Bob Hoffman

1 - 20 of 20 Posts