Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 300c SRT8
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to fix my hemi tick. Does anyone know if the rocker arms should be loose. I inspected the rocker assembly really no unusual wear.
The lifters are not loose when I push down on the rods.
Currently using 0-40w Mobil 1 fully synthetic. Is anyone using thicker oil?
I have 192,000 miles
and this is my first time diving into this engine.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I now use Redline 5W-40 synthetic in mine. I used to use Mobil One and started using Redline regularly after one oil change with it. I noticed immediately that the engine was quieter. I have no engine noise at all, but I am sure part of it is due to the new performance cam and new lifters I installed at 164K. It now has 173K on it.

By loose, what do you mean? When each cylinder's piston is at top dead center on the compression stroke (both valves closed) there should be absolutely no rocker "slop" and you should not be able to rotate the pushrods if the valve lifter pre-load is correct. If you can rotate any of them, something is not right in the valve train, most probably the valve lifter(s) and/or the cam and very rarely a bent pushrod..

·
Registered
2006 300c SRT8
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just sell it to me problem solved ;)
I now use Redline 5W-40 synthetic in mine. I used to use Mobil One and started using Redline regularly after one oil change with it. I noticed immediately that the engine was quieter. I have no engine noise at all, but I am sure part of it is due to the new performance cam and new lifters I installed at 164K. It now has 173K on it.

By loose, what do you mean? When each cylinder's piston is at top dead center on the compression stroke (both valves closed) there should be absolutely no rocker "slop" and you should not be able to rotate the pushrods if the valve lifter pre-load is correct. If you can rotate any of them, something is not right in the valve train, most probably the valve lifter(s) and/or the cam and very rarely a bent pushrod..
Appreciate the info. I’ll check the slop when cyclinders are at top dead center. see what I find. Thx.iCloud

The video is the slop I found but I didn’t confirm if was at TDC. So I’ll trouble shoot according to what you stated above.

·
Registered
27 Posts

When the cylinder is at top dead deac center ( at the valve overlap ) every engine I’ve ever worked on that’s when you can rotate the pushrods. Or when the intake valve is open all the way The exhaust valve pushrod tcan be rotated and the same on the exhaust valve if it’s all the way open you can rotate in intake Valves push rod, after about 3 minutes. I have a 08’ 300c. I have never been in it but what’s different about this engine??

·
Registered
903 Posts
At top dead center on the COMPRESSION stroke, both valves are fully closed and the valve lifter pre-load should be enough so the pushrods will not rotate. If they do, the pre-load is incorrect due to some component in the valve train either worn, broken or malfunctioning in some way. What you're talking about is valve overlap which is when both valves are open at the same time. Overlap occurs near top dead center somewhere between the intake and exhaust events, not on the compression stroke.

Reactions: Wolfman

·
Registered
27 Posts
The overlap being at the end of the exhaust stroke and the beginning of the intake stroke one or the other is closed and It’s the closed place to check them without having to turn the engine over again, I rock the the engine back and forth. On these engines if you roll the engine over until the exhaust valve open and the intake valve is closed after a couple of minutes the lifters don’t bleed down enough to spin the the pushrod?? I appreciate the information because I’ve never seen that before. Just for example when you put a Harley back together I go back with adjustable push rods to save time taking the rockers off and that’s how you know it’s correct, when your off the lobe you extend the adjuster 3 turns and at that point you can’t spin the pushrod , you wait about 5-10 minutes and it will spin if it’s correct. With the original pushrods, they do the same thing, the preload keeps them tight but not to that point. Thanks again

·
Registered
2006 300c SRT8
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice. So I replaced the the rocker arms and sparks plugs since they were due for a change. The ticking noise remains. It seems I’ll be removing my heads to see if my lifters are damaged.
can anyone recommend Better
Lifters and cams without having to rebuild the bottom end?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had jay greene spec my cam, did the full kit.
You could be hearing a exhaust leak.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.