Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok wel the last few weeks when my crd gets warm it makes a metal like ticking noise when driving and goes faster when the revs go up.

when i pull her in neutral the ticking is gone and comes back right after going into D .

so its not the engine that runs smooooth...

i dont feel anything while driving i just hear it....o i hear it the loudest when my widows are closed as strange as that sounds.

anyone have a clue what it could be before i have it checked out by a mecanic

tnx in advance

·
Premium Member
13,325 Posts
does it tick if you rev it in neutral? Does it speed up & down following engine revs, or the car's speed (ie if you boot it in neutral whist moving, does the tick follow the revs, or the car's speed?)..... it may not be the engine, but something loose / catching

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
no no ticking in neutral what so ever just when driving...

when rolling and pulling it in neutral en reving the engine there is no ticking noise other then the normal diesel noises.

and it only does it after a while of driving so when the car is warm.....i`m sure its not the engine.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i`m almost positive its not the engine.....because i dont hear the ticking when in neutral or standing stil in D ....but when accelerating it starts to tick loud

·
Premium Member
6,753 Posts
Check the engine cover is not rubbing on anything near the drivers side rear. A few owners have found the engine cover rubbing against some pipes on the rear corner and fixed it by putting some pipe lagging around the pipes.

Mine developed a funny noise ages ago that would only do it when moving. It turned out to be the sound proofing below the gear lever was touching on the top of the propshaft, it took me ages to find it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i wil check the cover but the ticking does not happen wen rolling in neutral only in drive so how can it come from the engine...

and only does it when warm not on cold start up....sound like a trans problem but shifting is stil smooth..

so i start the car put it in D drive and no ticking what so ever and after a while when the car get warm the ticking starts

when rolling at say 30km(any higher and the wind makes it harder to hear)and pull it in neutral en rev the engine there is no tick when pulling it back into gear the ticking starts again.
and as i said before when rolling the window down i hear the tick alot less then when it is rolled up and soundlike its comming from below the car.

this cant be the engine or am i wrong?

·
Premium Member
6,753 Posts
Unfortunately without seeing and hearing the car we can only give you ideas from past experience from others. Have you had the transmission fluid level checked? Sounds like you need to get a garage to look at it.

When mine had the soundproofing rubbing the propshaft the only way I could find the problem was to get the wheels off the ground and put it in drive and get under the car and hunt for it whilst the car was running/driving in the air.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i know its hard to diagnose this and i do apriciate the help ....i think i wil have to get it checked out.

i wil look into all the tips u guys gave me....hope its something simpel and not a trans problem :(

·
Premium Member
13,325 Posts
one last thing to try...theres a useless brace under the car just about where the front seats are....its only purpose is to assist in the fitting of the exhaust...the pipes sometimes drop & rattles on it gently under power. Pack its bolts with washers to give more clearance under the exhaust pipe

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wil chek that that out to .....if i cant find it i wil let me bud look at it.

drove it today for short trips and nothing....on long trips it starts to tick

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Didn't you complain about a judder from your transmission a few weeks ago? maybe that was the start of something?

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Check your exhaust. While in motion, a loose exhaust connection causes an irritating tick that is hard to chase until under the vehicle.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
yeah the trans did shift up and down randomly around 50kph but some how it doens do that as much as it used to...but like u said i`m afraid that was the start from something......is there anything in the gearbox that u know of that wil make a ticking noise when warmed up?

i wil check the exaust but wont that be heard in neutral to? i only hear the noise when in gear and accelerating..ticking goes up when accellerating to someting like valves do.

there is no ticking noises when rolling the car in neutral and stil starts te moment i pull it into gear :(

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Check to see if the prop shaft is touching anything when it turns.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
coould be the exhaust manifold having a slight leak at the cyl head that sometimes sounds like tappet noise...I think your noise is going to be a hard one to find without me hearing it

·
Registered
841 Posts
CRD fuel injection ? Does it come from the fuel rail? as you state it only happens under acceleration. I think there was a case of the fuel injection system rubbing on the bulkhead & the pulsing coming into the cabin. Take off the engine cover & run your hand between the engine & bulkhead... see if any pipes rub. Use household pipe insulation or cable ties to try to move any possible causes.
Worth a look perhaps!
Good luck

·
Registered
623 Posts
Our CRD has "ticked" under accelleration since we got it in 2007. Seems to be a characteristic of the engine.

Check the insulation under the engine cover is still present, if your car has had a Startech chip fitted at any point they tend to throw away the soundproofing material for the wires to fit and that can make the ticking seem worse.

Never caused us any problem but the ticking noise is noticeable.

Keith

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
i wil look into the feul lines but again it only ticks when in gear and accelerating when rolling en pull it in neutral and rev the engine there is no tick other then normal deasel noises.

the engine runs fine trust me its something else.....today again i drove it uptop 50kph and it ticked like crazy pulled the car in neutral wil still doing 50kph reved the engine en there was no ticking what so ever.

this is driving me nuts

o the noise get louder the more i floor the car but only in Drive not in neutral

1 - 20 of 40 Posts