Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you tell if your tie rods are in need of replacement?

·
Registered
476 Posts
i just had mine replaced last week. i could tell something wasn't right because when the suspension would cycle at low speeds, such as going over speed bumps or entering parking lots, it would make a sound. also, when parked, if i turned the wheel a quarter of a turn left or right, i'd hear the same sound. although it sounded like it was coming from the passenger's side, the dealer replaced both outer tie rod ends under warranty.

the steering felt fine when driving on the highway, but when parked, it felt like something was loose, like the column was sloppy or the steering rack was loose. the amount of resistance i experienced on the wheel when stopped just didn't feel right.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i need to pay attention for a sound only or is there more? and what did you mean be the suspension "cycled" at low speeds?

btw thanks to both of you for responding:)

·
Registered
476 Posts
when the suspension cycles, that means the suspension moves up and down.

i noticed it on mine when i was going over speed bumps at low speeds, at like 5mph or less. also, i noticed it when going into parking lots where they have very shallow drainage culverts between the parking lot and the street.

its only one sound. it just sounds like something is loose. turn the wheel to the right a little, then when you go to turn it to the left, it'll make a clunk.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
An initial indicator would be that there is excessive tire wear on the inner or outer edges of the tires (which can be caused by other maladies).
Also, the car may have a tendency to wonder around on the road, needing nearly constant , although minor, course corrections.
To inspect you can raise a front wheel and grip it with your hands front and rear, then try to turn the wheel as if it were being turned by the steering wheel. Any significant movement with an attending click or clunk sound indicates that there is a problem.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An initial indicator would be that there is excessive tire wear on the inner or outer edges of the tires (which can be caused by other maladies).
Also, the car may have a tendency to wonder around on the road, needing nearly constant , although minor, course corrections.
To inspect you can raise a front wheel and grip it with your hands front and rear, then try to turn the wheel as if it were being turned by the steering wheel. Any significant movement with an attending click or clunk sound indicates that there is a problem.
Do both wheels need to be lifted up at the same time to do this or can i do it with one wheel at time?

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Do both wheels need to be lifted up at the same time to do this or can i do it with one wheel at time?
One at a time will do.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Check out these vids of my car. I am getting some clunking noises when driving over manhole covers and deep holes. I am not convinced it is my tie rods. The noise in the vids sound and feel like it is coming from the hub/knuckle area.
So many possibilities.
Hub
Lower control arm or tension strut bushing or ball joints.
Outer tie rod
Strut bushing
Inner tie rod
Bearings
Sway bar end links
Sway bar bushings

And then the play in the wheel, as shown in these vids, may not have anything to do with my clunking. Clunking could also be bad KW struts.

YouTube - Chrysler 300c bad tie rods?
YouTube - Chrysler 300c bad tie rods 2?
YouTube - Chrysler 300c suspension noise
YouTube - Chrysler 300c clunking noise

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so how much play in the front wheels is ok? I jacked up one side and tried moving the wheel and it moved but only a little.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts