Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I admit it "I am an auto neglect-er." I have had my 300 for just over a year now and it needs a new shine. I have washed it by hand every 2-3 weeks. I went to a nice car wash (cloth no brushes) maybe 3-4 times. Now the 300 is not as shinny as it once was.

What steps (products) do you recommend to bring back the glory? I don't mind spending a little money on some nice products. Nor do I mind putting in a little elbow grease to get the job done.

I guess I am looking for a little mini-detailing class and some recommendations of your products and the order by which to use them.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
MauiHemi said:
Yes, I admit it "I am an auto neglect-er." I have had my 300 for just over a year now and it needs a new shine. I have washed it by hand every 2-3 weeks. I went to a nice car wash (cloth no brushes) maybe 3-4 times. Now the 300 is not as shinny as it once was.
What steps (products) do you recommend to bring back the glory? I don't mind spending a little money on some nice products. Nor do I mind putting in a little elbow grease to get the job done.
I guess I am looking for a little mini-detailing class and some recommendations of your products and the order by which to use them.
WHOA !!..I've had mine for 10 months,washed weekly, paint treated ( sealant) every month,shines BETTER than when I bought it.
Go see Gary :

http://www.perfectautofinish.com/
He has all the "Right Stuff",at least as far as I am concerned.

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
What they said about Gary's stuff!

Rambit

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 411 on a little TLC

Wow, it is great to hear so many people rave about "Gary's Stuff." Oh boy am I glad he doesn't sell it as a package. :biggrin: I have read all of his posts and the information on his very cool website. This left me with a good guess about how I should approach the job but I thought I would be better off getting the facts from "The Man."

The Plan, what to buy:
1 - good car wash soap (ok, I have this)
2 - two clay bars (for when I drop the first one)
3 - Car Polish
4 - Paint Sealer
5 - Poly Seal Spray
6 - Dual Action buffer

The Labor, how it's done:
1 - wash entire car
2 - clay small section
3 - wash that section
4 - repeat steps 2,3 until entire car is done
5 - polish car with DA buffer and good car polish
6 - wash entire car (is this needed?)
7 - apply Paint Sealer
8 - apply Poly Seal Spray
9 - step back and admire the shine :silly:

OK, this is my plan but please, feel free to make suggestions.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
MauiHemi, if you can be patient I will be posting all the steps involved in a complete detail as soon as I have some extra time. YOur asking the right questions, but the answer is time consuming. Don't forget to order my dressing and micro fiber towels, they are the BOMB. Gary

MauiHemi said:
Wow, it is great to hear so many people rave about "Gary's Stuff." Oh boy am I glad he doesn't sell it as a package. :biggrin: I have read all of his posts and the information on his very cool website. This left me with a good guess about how I should approach the job but I thought I would be better off getting the facts from "The Man."

The Plan, what to buy:
1 - good car wash soap (ok, I have this)
2 - two clay bars (for when I drop the first one)
3 - Car Polish
4 - Paint Sealer
5 - Poly Seal Spray
6 - Dual Action buffer

The Labor, how it's done:
1 - wash entire car
2 - clay small section
3 - wash that section
4 - repeat steps 2,3 until entire car is done
5 - polish car with DA buffer and good car polish
6 - wash entire car (is this needed?)
7 - apply Paint Sealer
8 - apply Poly Seal Spray
9 - step back and admire the shine :silly:

OK, this is my plan but please, feel free to make suggestions.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
You say you have a good car wash soap, but do you really? What soap is this? Also, what do you need a dual action buffer for? One is better off doing things by hand if he has the time and doesn't have serious scratches in his finish.

·
Registered
479 Posts

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
marlinspike said:
You say you have a good car wash soap, but do you really? What soap is this? Also, what do you need a dual action buffer for? One is better off doing things by hand if he has the time and doesn't have serious scratches in his finish.
I agree Richard not having to use a buffer. I was amazed by how easy Gary's sealant was to apply and even more so by how easy it was to remove. Not only that, but you do the whole car and then remove it after 20 minutes. Imagine how hard that would be with a paste wax. The green micro fiber towels were perfect for this. I did a search on micro fiber towels and found some are not all that good on paint finishes. There's a lot of knockoff imitations out there and on some of them the edges can cause scratches. I can vouch for the ones Gary sells though.

Rambit

·
Registered
299 Posts
Rambit said:
I agree Richard not having to use a buffer. I was amazed by how easy Gary's sealant was to apply and even more so by how easy it was to remove. Not only that, but you do the whole car and then remove it after 20 minutes. Imagine how hard that would be with a paste wax. The green micro fiber towels were perfect for this. I did a search on micro fiber towels and found some are not all that good on paint finishes. There's a lot of knockoff imitations out there and on some of them the edges can cause scratches. I can vouch for the ones Gary sells though.

Rambit
I have to completely disaggree........mine were blue.

Best MF towels I have seen. btw that is micro-fiber...I know what you thought.

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
70GT6 said:
I have to completely disaggree........mine were blue.

Best MF towels I have seen. btw that is micro-fiber...I know what you thought.
I bought two of the blue ones from him. They're for drying only. I also bought three of the green ones. They're used to remove sealant according to Gary. Not sure what you meant in your comments though.

Rambit

·
Registered
299 Posts
Rambit said:
I bought two of the blue ones from him. They're for drying only. I also bought three of the green ones. They're used to remove sealant according to Gary. Not sure what you meant in your comments though.

Rambit
I also bought both styles - mine were both blue. Just foolin' with ya. :wave:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts