Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[URGENT] Timing belt: How many miles is too many?

Hey all - new guy here, I'm staff over at DieselPlace.com though so forums aren't new to me. ;) Hoping for a quick answer here as this is a big of an unexpected time crunch situation!

We bought a creampuff 2005 300 a month or so back. Mileage is currently at 189,000 Kilometers (117,000 miles) and I can not yet confirm that the timing belt was done at the "required' 105,000 interval. It might have been..but I can't confirm so I have to assume no at this point.

Doing the belt has been first and foremost on my mind since buying the car but it wasn't a priority...until tonight. My wife just surprised me with plans to drive to the southern US for a family members wedding. Definitely a last second decision.

So....here's the question - what's the chance there's going to be a problem? I realize a little over 10,000 miles overdue isn't a massive number, but the trip will rack about 3000 miles on top of that over a 4 day period. Straight highway miles, obviously.

Are these belts known to catastrophically let go not far past the recommended interval, or are they known to be like most other cars where people run twice the interval and still have no problem?

Option B is for her to drive to Detroit and rent a car for the drive down and back and leaving the 300 in a parking lot somewhere.

Guide me well, guys. Thanks!

· Registered
175 Posts
Better safe than sorry....especially considering if it breaks you're going to do some damage to your engine and may need to swap or open up your wallet pretty wide. I had mine changed as soon as I got the car at 93k

· Registered
557 Posts
An Engineer told me that the 105,000 mark for changing is what you will notice on most cars, as there is some sort of requirement for that interval (at least). However, many cars don't make it to that mileage before failure. Case in point was a turbo VW I had - the manual said replace the belt at 105,000. At 93,000, she broke, bending valves and doing some other damage to the tune of $2600!

Better safe than sorry - I'll be replacing mine BEFORE the recommended interval!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Just dredging up my old post here.. For those who have done this job DIY, how was it?

I have access to a friends great shop with almost every tool imaginable (Except, ironically, a camshaft holder tool, but I can get that) and have the knowledge. Rebuilt my own 6.5 Turbo diesel a few years from the block on up, so use that as a gauge.

Are we talking a 2 hour job here for 2 very knowledgable guys, or a 10 hour job?

I know most people suggest doing the water pump and idler/tensioner at the same time, but again for the DIY gearheads - opinions on doing just the belt? $$$ is tight right now (wife had an interruption in her pay) but a long road trip is coming up in 2 weeks and I'd feel better having at least the new belt in place if nothing else. My question about the number of labor hours factors into this decision - if it's a 5 hour job to just get things apart to the point of doing the belt it would be stupid to not do it all at once, but if we can yank it apart again in an hour come spring and do the tensioner and pump at that point I may opt for that route to save the additional costs in the short term. Pretty sure the belt is <$50, the full kit with the idler and the water pump was about $400 last I checked.

Edit: I looked at the PDF found in another link detailing the job. Belt alone looks pretty straightforward - remove accessories in the way, pull the HB, remove front cover, secure cams, re and re belt, and put it back together. Looks like a 2-3 hour job for 2 well versed guys with all the right tools...or am I greatly oversimplifying things?

· Registered
479 Posts
I did mine at 130k, did the water pump and tensor also. Did it at my Dad's house in his garage, took about 5hrs. We took our time. 2 guys turning wrenches that know what their doing could probably do it in 3...

· Registered
2014 CRD
1,872 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
timing belt

My 2005 300 has 245,500 miles and I just had to have it towed this weekend. Mechanic is still checking but they think it's the timing belt....if so, I'm sure mine is not the norm. Being a woman, I didn't think of replacing this at the proper interval, but it can leave you stranded like it did me; just hoping there's no collateral damage done.

· Premium Member
4,741 Posts
My 2005 300 has 245,500 miles and I just had to have it towed this weekend. Mechanic is still checking but they think it's the timing belt....if so, I'm sure mine is not the norm. Being a woman, I didn't think of replacing this at the proper interval, but it can leave you stranded like it did me; just hoping there's no collateral damage done.
Presumably the engine is the 3.5 liter V-6.

Correct?

EDIT: Additionally, if the engine has a timing belt it is a 3.5L engine as the 2.7L and 5.7L engines use timing chains.Recommended replacement interval for the belt is something around 100,000 miles, so if it was never changed it is lo-o-o-o-ng past due.

The 3.5L engine is a non-interference engine which means that if the timing belt breaks the pistons shouldn't hit the valves and cause collateral damage.

While the mechanic is in there he will probably want to replace at least the water pump as it is right there and has all those miles on it too, so have it done.

· Premium Member
4,741 Posts
So 'Rons4life' inquiring minds want to know: what is the verdict on your timing belt issue?

· Registered
1 Posts
[URGENT] Timing belt: How many miles is too many?

Hey all - new guy here, I'm staff over at DieselPlace.com though so forums aren't new to me. ;) Hoping for a quick answer here as this is a big of an unexpected time crunch situation!

We bought a creampuff 2005 300 a month or so back. Mileage is currently at 189,000 Kilometers (117,000 miles) and I can not yet confirm that the timing belt was done at the "required' 105,000 interval. It might have been..but I can't confirm so I have to assume no at this point.

Doing the belt has been first and foremost on my mind since buying the car but it wasn't a priority...until tonight. My wife just surprised me with plans to drive to the southern US for a family members wedding. Definitely a last second decision.

So....here's the question - what's the chance there's going to be a problem? I realize a little over 10,000 miles overdue isn't a massive number, but the trip will rack about 3000 miles on top of that over a 4 day period. Straight highway miles, obviously.

Are these belts known to catastrophically let go not far past the recommended interval, or are they known to be like most other cars where people run twice the interval and still have no problem?

Option B is for her to drive to Detroit and rent a car for the drive down and back and leaving the 300 in a parking lot somewhere.

Guide me well, guys. Thanks!
My Chrysler 300 is an interference motor and from experience I'd get the timing readjusted before your trip I didn't even have my car two months when the timing jumped my Pistons hit the valves now I shopping for a new car.Also when it happened I was only driving 30mph

1 - 15 of 15 Posts