Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody got a ticket for having tint yet? i was driving this morning on ECU campus and the next thing i know, it seemed like i had shot somebody. i was stopped and basically trapt in by the cops. they obviously must not have anything better to do. i tried to play dumb at first, but it is a little hard to play 5% tint off. they ended up being really nice and told me that i could just pay $150 and keep the tint on, but all the cops in G'ville would harass me and i would get a couple of points on my license. is North Carolina the only state that puts points on license just to have tint? its funny because i have been stopped about five times before, but all of the cops said that my tint was illegal but i should not take it off because they all liked it. i was at a stoplight yesterday going to work and a cop pulled beside me and stared into my window and proceeded to give a thumbs up. so it seems that every person on the police force loves my car and tint, with the exception of one prick.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yes, 5% tint is VERY cool.
But ask you self WHY any state would outlaw it:
Hmmm,..., maybe because at night in the rain late you WON'T see the car missing a headlight and get T-BONED?
Well, thatz how my aunt died.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Redman said:
Yes, 5% tint is VERY cool.
But ask you self WHY any state would outlaw it:
Hmmm,..., maybe because at night in the rain late you WON'T see the car missing a headlight and get T-BONED?
Well, thatz how my aunt died.

Also, don't forget how many officers are shot or otherwise injured during a routine traffic stop...they make tint laws in certain areas the way they do for a reason...so the driver and occupants can be seen and danger assessed. Dark tint obscures this ability to see what is going on in the car.

Also, and I KNOW this is going to start something, but I have to state this anyway...if a person were driving a bone stock 300 with dark tint, I would say his/her chances of not being noticed are WAYYY better than a car decribed in the first post of this thread.

·
Registered
82 Posts
First of all...sorry about your aunt :(

Second...yes, I too have the illustrious 5%...it really looks good with the black on black. You can stand right up on the car and not be able to tell if a dog is driving. Looks good, but not very practical at night, but did I mention it looks great!

I live in Northern Virginia, and I have never seen police like the ones here, and I've lived everywhere. In a way, because I live so close to the nation's capitol, they have bigger things to do. But when you go into Fairfax County...it's a whole nother ballgame.

I've been pulled over with my tint 5 times now. I have yet to get a ticket (knock on wood), because half the time they check my ID out and just say..."You know this is illegal, cost ya $160 ticket, points on your license, AND it's a class C misdemeanor the first time, the next it turns into a B. But I work for the Pentagon, and once they see that, they basically leave me alone. Guess I better keep my job :cool:

My friends keep asking me, "Did you get your windows fixed yet?", but I don't want to until I get a ticket, because if I have to pull it off the windows...it's gonna take the rear window defroster strips with it. :(

My advice is to just try to avoid them at all costs, and then do like I do...roll the windows down if you have time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
jjs said:
Also, don't forget how many officers are shot or otherwise injured during a routine traffic stop...they make tint laws in certain areas the way they do for a reason...so the driver and occupants can be seen and danger assessed. Dark tint obscures this ability to see what is going on in the car.

Also, and I KNOW this is going to start something, but I have to state this anyway...if a person were driving a bone stock 300 with dark tint, I would say his/her chances of not being noticed are WAYYY better than a car decribed in the first post of this thread.

I think his 22's are the only noticable exterior feature added?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i fully understand about visual obstructions due to having 5%, but with this car, i dont ususally drive it unless it is nice outside or special occasion. Although with the tint that i chose, it is not that difficult to see outside. mine is the carbon fiber tint, and from what i've seen it is much easier to see out of when it is dark than regular tint. well, i think that i will peel the 5% off and do you guys think that i will be alright with 20%, because as with all of the other cars that i have seen that has had to take 5% off and go to clear windows has made the car look like ass.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Unfortunately a highly stylish car like this already has stereotypes with police in certain areas. Just like those that drive Cadillac Escalades in and about our Chicago area. I've heard it from a couple owners in the city already.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
300PMP said:
I think his 22's are the only noticable exterior feature added?

Come again??

Check the signature...I see pillars, painted calipers, dark tint and like you said 22's. Situation will be even worse with grill and lowering.

·
Registered
82 Posts
jjs said:
Come again??

Check the signature...I see pillars, painted calipers, dark tint and like you said 22's. Situation will be even worse with grill and lowering.

(In a Southern officer voice) "Son, I was gonna let you go with the 5% tint and those grossly large pieces of chrome you got the car mounted on, but ARE THOSE PAINTED CALIPERS??? I'm gonna need some backup here"
:p

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nah, but for real, the officer was really nice and he noted that he loved the " 24 inch wheels " that i had on them. i would have corrected him, but i don't think that it would have mattered. he also thought my car was a cadillac because of the chrome grill.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you get the blue lights, drop the tinted windows ASAP, and turn on the interior lights. Find a safe place, and put the car in park, the officer is watching to see the reverse lights flash. Don't reach for anything, until you are asked. Be patient, and volunteer nothing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ride Slow said:
If you get the blue lights, drop the tinted windows ASAP, and turn on the interior lights. Find a safe place, and put the car in park, the officer is watching to see the reverse lights flash. Don't reach for anything, until you are asked. Be patient, and volunteer nothing.
You forgot to add, Pray you don't get the CHippie that ticketed Citadelgrad a few years back. I did all that, AND turned the car off and put both hands on the wheel.

He instructed me to RAISE the windows, then wrote a ticket.

On an 11 year old GMC stepside, one that had never been pulled over for any reason.

And he then wrote that ticket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts