Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont understand the tip tronic transmission. i realizes its supposed to almost be like a clutch-less standard, but its still an automatic. if you engage the tip tronic tranny, put it in first and redline, the car will shift if you dont touch the shifter at all. i dont see how that is different then keeping it in drive.
the only benefit i see in this transmission is keeping the revs around 3 grand or so when doing a rolling start for a race and whatnot.
even if you do shift with the shift nob, it takes a good second or two to shift after you slide the nob to the right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,678 Posts
Tiptronic, autostick, whatever the company calls it, it's all stupid and it's all been done long ago much better. Basically, the purpose is to give middle aged people feel younger, but honestly it's slower to do it that way. I know MB, and I'm sure other car manufaturers, have had this same thing for decades, just that instead of calling it tiptronic, they just put a vertical gate with D 3 2 1. The benefit of these systems is that since they were mechanical linkages and not controlled electronic systems that automatically shift up for redline situations, the old way was faster when done well. "Progress" right?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,239 Posts
The benefit I see in the "autostick" is if you are on a curvy mountain road or something you can hold hit in 3rd gear for example, so you have better engine braking going into a curve and torque readily available without downshifting when exiting a curve. It will still shift at redline (5700 rpm) but at least you can hold it in a gear at a lower RPM.

For drag racing, yeah it's no real benefit I don't think. I wish it were more 'instantaneous' when shifting in autostick mode. As it is you have to "plan ahead" when you want it to shift. Perhaps when progammers are available for our cars we'll be able to change the parameters so it shifts quicker....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,239 Posts
Derek33 said:
i would love a more instantanious shift.
get those tires chirping into 2nd gear.

I could give a rip about the manual upshift actually; in automatic mode it shifts fine for fast accelleration. What I would REALLY like is an "instant" downshift like my 87 Firebird Formula with a 700R4 had (after being worked on a bit). It's really a benefit when coming hard into a curve to be able to downshift exactly when you want to so you don't have to pile on the brakes, and then you got power readily available to exit the curve. Since our tranny is electronically controlled, I'm sure it is possible...some day.... when someone like hypertech finally does put a programmer for the LX cars on the market.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,262 Posts
kevenj said:
I could give a rip about the manual upshift actually; in automatic mode it shifts fine for fast accelleration. What I would REALLY like is an "instant" downshift like my 87 Firebird Formula with a 700R4 had (after being worked on a bit). It's really a benefit when coming hard into a curve to be able to downshift exactly when you want to so you don't have to pile on the brakes, and then you got power readily available to exit the curve. Since our tranny is electronically controlled, I'm sure it is possible...some day.... when someone like hypertech finally does put a programmer for the LX cars on the market.
I would like the upshift in either mode to be quick, without so much torque management. I hope that the tranny will be included as a programmable option in whatever programmer hits the market.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Sounds like the you guys need the programming used on the SRT8.
1. Will not shift (will redline out and never shift)
2. Seems like the harder you brake the more is downshifts (auto mode)
3. Manual shifts happen NOW no lag
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,678 Posts
Personally, I wish nobody had come out with these adaptable tranny's. I like the old auto's where x-pedal position at y speed equals z gear. It's predictable, and you can make all your shifts with your right foot. This adaptive stuff just throws me. At least they should have a switch that puts it into the most aggressive mode and then you can learn that mode since it would always be the same.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,239 Posts
70GT6 said:
Sounds like the you guys need the programming used on the SRT8.
1. Will not shift (will redline out and never shift)
2. Seems like the harder you brake the more is downshifts (auto mode)
3. Manual shifts happen NOW no lag

In comparing my Dad's SRT8 to my 300C, I can attest that #1 seems to be the case; also the SRT8 has a "5th" gear position where the "C" goes from 4th to "D".

As for the downshift, you are missing my point. I want to be able to instantly downshift manually, WITHOUT using my brakes. In this regard Dad's SRT8 is pretty much the same as my 300C; you have to plan ahead to far in my opionion. The manual upshifts on his SRT8 are instant either but it does feel like they are quicker than mine. But overall I've said exactly that; I prefer the programming of the SRT8 to the way my C shifts.

Marlinspike, I can't imagine that someone would market a programmer that doesn't allow us to tailor the shift points and quickness; To me that would be kind of pointless. More power is nice but what I really want to do is be able to control it more directly.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,262 Posts
Marlinspike, I can't imagine that someone would market a programmer that doesn't allow us to tailor the shift points and quickness; To me that would be kind of pointless. More power is nice but what I really want to do is be able to control it more directly.
That was me..... I can't imagine that either, but I am diehard cynic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
909 Posts
If it wasnt for us

"middle aged" people pioneering all of this high performance stuff back in the 60's and 70's you'd still be riding a bicycle. However, I will say that the autostick ain't no B&M racing hydro. Now there's an automatic tranny shifter. Get one of those into our cars and no more lag-you'll chirp in almost every gear.

marlinspike said:
Tiptronic, autostick, whatever the company calls it, it's all stupid and it's all been done long ago much better. Basically, the purpose is to give middle aged people feel younger, but honestly it's slower to do it that way. I know MB, and I'm sure other car manufaturers, have had this same thing for decades, just that instead of calling it tiptronic, they just put a vertical gate with D 3 2 1. The benefit of these systems is that since they were mechanical linkages and not controlled electronic systems that automatically shift up for redline situations, the old way was faster when done well. "Progress" right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
when i have the car in drive not auto stick mode and come to a stop sighn , and put it into autostick mode the cars read out display shows 4 every other car i had with auto stick showed 1 when stoped.and engaged auto stick mode .also when slowing down the display dose not go to 1 unless i put it there.is this normal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
omski said:
when i have the car in drive not auto stick mode and come to a stop sighn , and put it into autostick mode the cars read out display shows 4 every other car i had with auto stick showed 1 when stoped.and engaged auto stick mode .also when slowing down the display dose not go to 1 unless i put it there.is this normal.
When you put it in autostick HOLD the shifter to the left. It WILL go to 1st after 1-2 seconds. You can also shift back into drive the same way by holding the shifter to the right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
arnold thank for your reply so yours dose the same thing ,but when you slow down dose the car diplay go back to 1 or do you have to put there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
ive never had an auto stick that stared in 4 .and that you had to put in1 on your own even the charger dose it for you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
omski said:
arnold thank for your reply so yours dose the same thing ,but when you slow down dose the car diplay go back to 1 or do you have to put there
It will stay in the gear that you select. But even if it says "4" when standing still, it will start out in 1st and only go up to "4".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,719 Posts
marlinspike said:
Tiptronic, autostick, whatever the company calls it, it's all stupid and it's all been done long ago much better. Basically, the purpose is to give middle aged people feel younger, but honestly it's slower to do it that way. I know MB, and I'm sure other car manufaturers, have had this same thing for decades, just that instead of calling it tiptronic, they just put a vertical gate with D 3 2 1. The benefit of these systems is that since they were mechanical linkages and not controlled electronic systems that automatically shift up for redline situations, the old way was faster when done well. "Progress" right?
Brings back great memories of my '87 300E with only 177hp and 188 ft-lb, dropping from D to 3 with the gated shifter was instant and put the car at its peak just where you need it passing on a 2 lane road. Given the specs, this car was incredibly responsive all because of the tranny. Even more thrilling was my '70 300SEL 6.3 Eurospec with 300hp and the same gated floor shifter, easily equal to the 300C in terms of thrust. Problem with today's electronics is that split second of decision. In the old MB, a quick flick of the wrist and I sling shot past you while your tranny is sipping on a cappuccino smoking a clove cigarette trying to decide what to do. The fastest production sedan in 1970 (300SEL 6.3)was even faster with the Euro motor generating an extra 50hp, exhilirating with instant, mechanical control of torque. This is something missed in all the 0-60 hype, responsiveness makes a huge difference in how I enjoy a car.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top