Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just passed 10k miles on my '06 SRT-8. I was wondering what the expected life of the OEM tires are?

I occasionally convert rubber to smoke, but not very often. I do tend to drive harder than the average driver, but not insane.

Looking at my tires, I can see the rears and fronts still look like they have tread. I guess I'm just wondering if this is normal or expected.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
tired

need to know what you got on her. The RSA's can be nursed to 30-40 thousand, most peeps are ditching them before that because they are such a crappy tire. Mine were done at 20K.

If you have F1's I'm surprised if you got this far! They leave early.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it is the RSAs that I have, although I must admit that it's been months since I cared. They kind of suck in a rather general manner, so I assume they are the RSAs.

Thanks for the info on the F1s and expected lifetime of the RSAs.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I do a lot of highway driving, got 23,000 miles out of OEM F1, 56,000 miles out of replacement RSA's. Tread was peeling off in both cases.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. Actually, the reason that I ask is that I'm kinda sick of these tires. They really do suck in a general fashion. There's no one area that I can point to where I like them (other than the fact they they roll, and stay inflated).

I was hoping they'd die soon. I'd hate to throw away tires that still have life in them.

Now, to do some research on the inevitable: "What's the best summer tire?" and "What's the best winter tire?" - I think this is the year where I get separate snows...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was hoping they'd die soon. I'd hate to throw away tires that still have life in them.
Actually, I just had a brainstorm: convert more rubber to smoke. That'll make 'em die. Heh, I am one smart feller. :pat:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more random thought: stevesrt8, do you have a pic of your staggered setup? Also, any pro's/con's to the staggered setup? I'd love to hear your input on the matter...

·
Registered
263 Posts
One more random thought: stevesrt8, do you have a pic of your staggered setup? Also, any pro's/con's to the staggered setup? I'd love to hear your input on the matter...

Pros: More Meat in the rear, Looks Cool

Cons: Can't rotate to all four corners. If you have a heavy foot you will be buying tires more often, at least in the rear!!

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
sorry

Sorry, no pics.

I'm old school, really like the slight rake to the car with the staggered tires. Note that the 275/40/20 will fit on the front also. The Toyos are soooooo much better than the RSA's, it completely transformed the car. Seem to be wearing extremely well too.

Note: I bought these tires based on research conducted by Danrealtor, who just may have the most hard miles on an SRT8 and is an "enthusiastic" driver! I've had F1's on lots of cars, and they are great on dry, warm pavement. Only.

These Toyos have really surprised me. Dirt cheap and good quality.

And they are technically an "all season" tire!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
stevesrt8,

Thanks for the info. If you happen to have the sudden desire to snap a pic and post it, please feel free to do so :D I'm having a hard time visualizing such a slight staggering, and am thinking that it may look fantastic, but too much of a staggering would make me feel like I'm driving a cartoon. So I'd love to see before I buy.

Re: the Toyos, it seems most love them, and some hate them. I'll start doing some deeper research soon to see what I need. I don't track the car at all (no time!), but I do appreciate a car that can handle well. My feeling right now is that the lack of handling on my SRT-8 is primarily a problem with the tires - and until I fix that, I will make no judgements about needing weird stuff such as tower struts in the front, etc...

I mean, heck - I only drive the think to work and back; to the grocery store and back; etc... But I do enjoy the drives.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
so true

It's curious you should say that about the handling. I used to wonder about anyone wanting an aftermarket sway bar, as I had never felt much body roll due to the stock RSA's 'washing out'!!!

Now with decent tires it really rolls when pushed, definitely could be upgraded.

And note the rake is .4 inch! No biggie, just a slight one. Make sure you get Proxes plus 4's, they make dozens of Proxes styles. Iwould not want any of the SUV type tires being used by many here. I own a car. SUV tires go on a truck.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again for the feedback.

Yeah, I can definitely feel the front tires absolutely giving up the ghost when I corner hard. It really surprises me - because I can feel that there's more left in the suspension, but the tires just throw up their hands and go home for lunch. I certainly expect that there are other suspension items to work on, but until I fix my tires, I'm not going to pass judgement.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Toyos. I'll be looking into them shortly.

And, even with the 0.4" rake, I still want to see before I buy. I'm an enquiring mind, and I want to know :D (Anybody remember that old tagline?)

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Tires

Tires?

I've had some of them!

Approacing 99,000 miles now on my 2006 300C SRT-8. I think I'm on my 10th set of tires now. Could be 9th or 11th, I've lost count.

The Toyo Proxes 4's are still the best street tire (IMO) for the SRT-8's. They handle great, look great, are relatively cheap, they will handle occasional track days, and (not so) occassional burn outs, and wear great.

I run them hard all the time, and have no complaints.

Your mileage may vary!!!!

BTW: I run the 245/45/20's up front and the 275/40/20's in the back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the Proxes 4s and they seem to sway a little more at 80+ than the F1s did. I went to 275/40s so that may be causing it. The bigger tires look great in the back though.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
My car sure has responded to a laser alignment and road force balance versus how it came from the factory. If you have the means I'd recommend looking into it and go to the best shop you know of.

Eric

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just passed 10k miles on my '06 SRT-8. I was wondering what the expected life of the OEM tires are?

I occasionally convert rubber to smoke, but not very often. I do tend to drive harder than the average driver, but not insane.

Looking at my tires, I can see the rears and fronts still look like they have tread. I guess I'm just wondering if this is normal or expected.

Thoughts?
I've got the OEM RSA's (245/45-ZR20 all season tires on all 4 corners), and pretty much ownership for the first year was consistently liquifying the rears on a weekly basis. I currently have 15k on the odo (with the same tires), and my rears are in dire need of replacement. I only rotated the tires twice, which probably accounted for their short life span. If you don't lite em' up constantly (and rotated them every 3k miles) you could probably get about 25k to 30k on those particular tires.

-Sal

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
welcome

I've got the OEM RSA's (245/45-ZR20 all season tires on all 4 corners), and pretty much ownership for the first year was consistently liquifying the rears on a weekly basis. I currently have 15k on the odo (with the same tires), and my rears are in dire need of replacement. I only rotated the tires twice, which probably accounted for their short life span. If you don't lite em' up constantly (and rotated them every 3k miles) you could probably get about 25k to 30k on those particular tires.-Sal
Welcome, Sal. Hope you enjoy your car as much as I do mine!

I hope you replace those RSA's soon. They are the most mediocre tire I think I have ever owned. They They are mediocre in bad weather and just plain poor in dry weather!

And, yes, they wear well. But they completely handicap the car.

When you replace them you will be amazed!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts