Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals,
ok, getting ready to purchase some rear tires for the Vixen...
what have you gone to other than the F1's from Goodyear?
Thanks in advance!
Sincerely,

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Hi Chris, I'm considering either the GY Comfort Tread that II kings went with or the BFG KDWS NR chose, if they're available in 20"... I plan to go to 20's as soon as I find wheels for Santa to get for meee. I like the aggressive look of the BFG, but am leaning toward the GY for the all-around great reviews.

For the life of me, I can't understand why you'd be in the market for tires already though :mischievo

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HEMEEE said:
Hi Chris, I'm considering either the GY Comfort Tread that II kings went with or the BFG KDWS NR chose, if they're available in 20"... I plan to go to 20's as soon as I find wheels for Santa to get for meee. I like the aggressive look of the BFG, but am leaning toward the GY for the all-around great reviews.

For the life of me, I can't understand why you'd be in the market for tires already though :mischievo

Couldn't find either on tire racks website...
might not be available in 20's...
in fact the only tire they show in 20's is the F1's at $227.00 a tire for rears...
at least that is better than Discount at $374.00 a tire...
so...
it might be back to F1's...
not too happy about that choice to be honest...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
cbutler32 said:
Couldn't find either on tire racks website...
might not be available in 20's...
in fact the only tire they show in 20's is the F1's at $227.00 a tire for rears...
at least that is better than Discount at $374.00 a tire...
so...
it might be back to F1's...
not too happy about that choice to be honest...
That's actually a very good price for the 'Eagle F1 Supercar' tire. :wink1:

I hope that Goodyear eventually makes a similar tire with a 275mm cross-section width which will put a little more 'meat' on the ground in the rear. :fing02:

·
Registered
443 Posts
hey Chris, there's a comparison test in the new C&D that I found pretty interesting.......

trying to post the link, but I'm having issues with my internet connection

stay tuned..

·
Registered
161 Posts
The SRT8 Jeep GC has 285/40/20 rears. (255/45/20 fronts) Not sure how wide the rims are though. The review did not mention the tire make or model.
Just more food for thought.

·
Registered
625 Posts
cbutler32 said:
Hey guys and gals,
ok, getting ready to purchase some rear tires for the Vixen...
what have you gone to other than the F1's from Goodyear?
Thanks in advance!
Sincerely,
You're just now getting ready to replace rear tires? Girly Man!
Other than F1's?
How 'bout MORE F1's?

If the Jeep supposedly is qucker and pulls more g's then how 'bout 285's in back and 255's in front!

I am seriously considering those for my THIRD Set!

Dan

·
Registered
593 Posts
well, there are the all seasons that came as an option. There's a pirelli ice tire. You could go to one of the few 18" rims that fit over the brakes, that'd give you a lot more options...though you'd prolly have to go to 255/60/18 or 245/65/18 to make up those two inches...

It generated 0.94 g on the dry skidpad, only 0.01 g off the first-place BFGoodrich and tied with the Yokohama and Hankook.
Sounds fantastic...

It held onto the wet track with 0.82 g of stick, an impressive figure considering the worst tire in that test made only 0.67 g.
Wow!

And like the Continental, the Goodyear had a high 280 tread-wear grade. At $145 each, it's $34 cheaper than the most expensive tire here.
Hmmm...neither one of these is typical of our F1 tires... Whats "Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3"? Not "F1 Supercar" for SRT8, obviously...our tires cost more and wear out faster...so this review really does not apply...our tires are way better...and more expensive...and wear out faster. Truthfully, I'd take the GS-D3 over the Supercar, any day...if it were an option.

·
Registered
781 Posts
FWIW the SRT-8s at the SRT Track Experience were running Michelin Pilots in 245/40 20's. (Sizing per DanRealtor, if they don't fit, don't blame me)

Rick

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
michelins

I personally am a big Michelin fan. They have transformed every vehicle I've put them on.

Not big on Goodyears, but they did very well in the C/D test. We are very restricted by the size issue.

Please let us know which you choose. Our car will be a while as it is only a "weekender".

Steve
06 CSRT8
all stock all original
everything but DVD
waiting for software

·
Registered
625 Posts
Tire Options

HealeyRick said:
FWIW the SRT-8s at the SRT Track Experience were running Michelin Pilots in 245/40 20's. (Sizing per DanRealtor, if they don't fit, don't blame me)

Rick
The last time I bought rear tires (10/18/05) I had my tire guy search for 245/45 ZR20's and 255/45 ZR 20's to see what my options were.

Simple.

Goodyear F1 Supercar tires were the only ones that came up offered in BOTH sizes by the same manufacturer!

There were options if I wanted same size all the way around, or if I was willing to mix and match tires from different manufacturers (yeah right) so I stuck with the F1's.

At the SRTTE I noticed that they were running Michelin 245/40 ZR20's all the way around. I spent some time with the guys preping the cars and spoke to the instructor and...

You guessed it! Since Michelin is a Sponsor of the SRTTE and Michelin doesn't make a 245/45 ZR 20, they chose the 245/40's

After reading all the hype about the new Jeep GC SRT-8 and it's lateral G's.... and that it is running 255/45 ZR 20's up front and 285/40 ZR 20's in the rear, I am seriously considering putting those sizes on next time I buy tires (in a month or two probably). The Jeep supposedly has 10 inch rims in back (not sure about the front) but I don't anticipate any problem running 285's in back on my stock SRT 9 inch rims. Besides the fact that 285's would probably look awesome (especially from directly behind the car) I would hope that they would also help me hook up better when launching from a dead stop. The larger contact patch may help with lateral G's as well. My only concerns are with a larger contact patch there will be less downward pressure per square inch (same weight, more square inches) which could actually make it harder to hook up the rear tires on launch (except on a sticky track) and that the larger contact patch could create more drag and reduce the possible top speed (totally unacceptable!).

Any thoughts from my brothers with more tire knowledge and or Drag Strip experience?

Is anyone already running 285's in the back? If so, what is your experience with these issues?

I'd love to stay and chat, but I've got tires to wear out!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
DanRealtor said:
After reading all the hype about the new Jeep GC SRT-8 and it's lateral G's.... and that it is running 255/45 ZR 20's up front and 285/40 ZR 20's in the rear, I am seriously considering putting those sizes on next time I buy tires (in a month or two probably).
FYI...the 285's on the Jeep are run-flats. Also, it's unlikely you'll be able to match those with front tires for your car. The Jeep uses 255/45's on the front, which isn't a good fitment for the 300.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ironhorse said:
FYI...the 285's on the Jeep are run-flats. Also, it's unlikely you'll be able to match those with front tires for your car. The Jeep uses 255/45's on the front, which isn't a good fitment for the 300.
Actually-that's a perfect set-up for the SRT8's.
Can anyone tell me who is making this size for F & R "stagger" that's on the new Jeep?? I've already contacted a company to put an extra inch on my rear rims (hence 20x10") so this setup is PERFECT!! Tire Manufacturer Please???

·
Registered
17 Posts
QuikSilver said:
Actually-that's a perfect set-up for the SRT8's.
Can anyone tell me who is making this size for F & R "stagger" that's on the new Jeep?? I've already contacted a company to put an extra inch on my rear rims (hence 20x10") so this setup is PERFECT!! Tire Manufacturer Please???
Goodyear makes the tires on the Jeep SRT8.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you have 10 inch wide rear rims, 295/40's would fit too. Depending on the tire model, they are only .1" taller than the stock 255/45/20 SRT rear tires.

Amazingly, goodyear RSA's come in that size and 245/45/20 too for the front. But they are not the summer perf tire the F1s are.

Does anyone know what model tire the goodyear 285/40/20 is? I know it is runflat, but I am wondering what tread pattern.

·
Registered
39 Posts
hemiwagn said:
If you have 10 inch wide rear rims, 295/40's would fit too. Depending on the tire model, they are only .1" taller than the stock 255/45/20 SRT rear tires.

Amazingly, goodyear RSA's come in that size and 245/45/20 too for the front. But they are not the summer perf tire the F1s are.

Does anyone know what model tire the goodyear 285/40/20 is? I know it is runflat, but I am wondering what tread pattern.
They are now listed on the Goodyear Web-site. Specifically, they are the RS-A EMT "Run-flats" The tread pettern is identical to the RSA's they are putting on some of the SRT8's. Watch-out for the price though. They are EXPENSIVE!! :eek:uch: :eek:uch:

·
Registered
823 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
So am I correct that the solution is there is no solution. You either run the GY's or nuttin'?

·
Registered
507 Posts
teahead said:
I was thinking of the Toyos in a 255/40-20F, 275/40-20R:

E.g.:
http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Toyo&tiremodel=Proxes+S%2FT

Although they'll probably create a bigger wheel gap w/the lower profile tires. Which means lowering.

So I was thinking of 255/45-20F, 26545-20R to help fill in the already huge wheel gap.
Actually, the 275/40R20 tires have almost identical overall diameter as my RSA 245/45R20s.

Ok, so now that two months have elapsed since this thread was started, has anyone tried a 275 tire on the rear stock rims?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts