Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have always followed manual specification for tire rotation and when I did my first on the 300, I did the X pattern as described in the manual. Was over at my tire shop trying to see what I would get for my used OEM stock Firestones for a new set of Michelin's and the fellow and I got into a tire rotation discussion. This guy has been in business 20 years (he knows his stuff) and his father a long time before that. All they do is tires and NICE wheels. Anyway, he said standard tires (not directional or specialty tires) can all be rotated from to back and back to front. There is no need to do the X way, and it can possibly do the tire no good rolling one way for 5,000 miles and then essentially rolling backwards the next 5,000 miles. I rotate my own tires and frankly with only two jacks, it is a PITA doing it the X way. Front to back would be so much easier.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I recommend you go with the manual. The auto manufacturers go back a lot further than your tire guy with huge volumes of accumulated data on the subject. Aside from that my knowledge on the subject is 1 inch deep and 2 miles wide.

I still run into "car guys" who advocate non detergent motor oil to break in new engines. Go figure. Urban legends are persistent things.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Per the owner's manual: "X", LR>RF>RR>LF.

·
Banned
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks folks. Yes, the more I read, I should follow the manual for a RWD....the backs to the front, and fronts crossover to the back. Maybe I will buy another floor jack and make it easier.

·
Registered
508 Posts
X pattern unless your tires are directional.
^^^^That.

And if you have directional tires that are staggered widths like mine, there is no rotation.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I do front to back only. I agree with the " Tire Guy " in the OP's post. Spinning a tire in the opposite direction that it was initially run never made sense to me.

The owners manual specifies the "x" rotation. It also suggests that I change my oil at an extended interval that I am not comfortable with. ( Not looking for an oil change debate here - lol )

Bottom line - Its a preference. The fact that you are rotating the tires on a regular basis is a good thing no matter what method you choose.

Reactions: Paradox

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
When did the "radial pull" issue go away? Being an old guy, I thought I "knew" that you never cross rotate radials. I've definitely suffered radial pull in the past, and the problem was definitely fixed by cross rotating the tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts