Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade to 20" rims and tires. 255/45/20 appears to be a common tire size for the "C". What do you think about 275/40/20? Will I have rubbing or a much rougher ride? I've entered the sizes into the tire calculator and here is what I got.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Northern Rider said:
Tire 1 is too high a profile. The tire may contact the bolt upon expansion at speed.

That odd, Tire 1 is the suggested size in the FAQ

=============
Quote: What is the ideal 20" Setup then?

Most forum members are running 20x8.5" with an 21-24mm offset on a 255/45/20. This setup will cause no rubbing no matter how many dead bodies you care to stuff in your trunk.

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3374

=============

It's also the size many online dealers are packaging with their rims.
http://www.wyckoff-mopar-parts.com/fz15.html

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Northern Rider said:
Tire 1 is too high a profile. The tire may contact the bolt upon expansion at speed.

Stick to overall diameter of Stock 28.62, or close by .20.
Wow, I just took another look at the front control arm. You're right, it's already very close. I wonder why the 255/45/20 are suggested here in our FAQ and on may tire sites?

Do you have an option on the 275/40/20?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
268 Posts
I am running 275/40/20 Pirelli p-zero's on 20x9 iForged Technik's I'm sorry I do not know the offset and my case is kind of weird because I have been getting all kinds of different information from the wheel manufacturer & my shop etc. When I first got them there was NO rubbing at all but i was getting a weird wobble at high speeds and the wheels were obviously screwy when you looked at them on the balancer you could see the wobble and it was not a balance issue. After the manufacturer sent back the rims (they said they were perfect and they didnt do anything to them) they rubbed like crazy just going in a straight line. (back side of tire scrubbing the control arm)

iForged says its because the springs have settled. I think that's BS because the whole assembly moves up & down with the wheel from what I understand. I ended up putting 3mm spacers on the front and now everything is fine

My theory is that the wheels were indeed screwed up and they re-planed the backside of the wheel hubs and thereby changed up the offset which in turn made them rub where they hadn't before. So now everything is working fine and I only rub on the most severe turns in reverse when parking in cramped areas.

Long story short 275/40/20 will fit with the proper offset. They look big & mean on the car. handling & traction are much better in my opinion with the new setup.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PixelPusher said:
Long story short 275/40/20 will fit with the proper offset. They look big & mean on the car. handling & traction are much better in my opinion with the new setup.
Did you notice a big difference in ride comfort?

·
Registered
268 Posts
roaringmouse said:
Did you notice a big difference in ride comfort?
There is a difference for sure. I have had the experience of riding stock.. then switched to the eibach 1.5" drop springs and 20's the ride was definitely less floaty and you get a lot more road feedback through the steering wheel but I like being totally aware of all the road conditions.

I then rode around with the stock rims & tires and the drop while I had the 20's sent back to the manufacturer. The bounce was back & it felt to me pretty much like I remembered it feeling when it was all stock.

Now the 20's are back on and I like how it feels much better. It isn't jarring, just tighter.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PixelPusher said:
Now the 20's are back on and I like how it feels much better. It isn't jarring, just tighter.

I really appreciate the info. You have been very helpful.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
275/40-20 is the way to go IMO. There are a few members here who have them and they report an excellent fitment and ride quality. I have them on order on a set of TIS-07's, when will I finally see them only GOD and TIS really know I paid for them in Mar, 90 days later I am still out $2400 and no sign of wheels, but we do have tires. Here is a pic of the members car with the those tires at factory height.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GEN XER said:
275/40-20 is the way to go IMO. There are a few members here who have them and they report an excellent fitment and ride quality.

I was ready to place an order and noticed the wheel size listed in the tire calculator says 9 -11". The rim I've chosen only comes is an 8.5". :sad:

·
Registered
199 Posts
does anyone know how the steering has been afected if at all by the increase in the front wheel width? because thats a huge differance from 225 to 275 !

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
steve 300c said:
does anyone know how the steering has been afected if at all by the increase in the front wheel width? because thats a huge differance from 225 to 275 !
The combo on my previous post belong to 300cLOVE, he is a forum member and he has had that set-up for a while and in my last PM to him about the ride quality he reported no ill affects from the 275's. If he is still a member you can find him and PM him. He even lowered it with the eibachs if I am not mistaken.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts