Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Just bought a new 2013 300C with 3.6 about 900 miles ago. Really like the vehicle. I have a question about the ride quality. The demonstrator I drove before buying had factory 18 inch tires on it and rode very good as I remember. I took delivery of the one I bought after the right color, options for the most part, and such was found at another dealer and transferred to mine. It wound up having the upgraded 20 inch wheels and tires on it. It may just be me but the ride seems much harsher after I got the vehicle home and drove it more. My question is: will the upgraded tires actually cause a rougher or harder ride due to the one inch difference in the side wall heights and should it be that noticeable. I am running 32 PSI which is recommended and have been considering lowering the pressure to 30 PSI to see if it would make a difference. Just thought some one may know the answer before I start modifying air pressures. Also would lowering the pressure create a worse problem of possible tire damage from normal roads because of the reduced sidewall height of the 20 inch tires if pressure is reduced. I have no idea what the tire pressures were on the first one I drove so comparison may not be equal.

Thanks for any responses,

Charles

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
I bet it is simply tire brand or type is different.

Different tires ride remarkably different in my car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I test drove a 2013 300C with 20" tires and thought it rode a little stiff/hard. Then tried one with 18" tires. Liked it better - a more comfortable ride. Bought the 18" version 300C. I have since swapped the Firestone 18"s for Michelin MXV4s. Same comfortable ride with a little better cornering/handling...

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have 20s with 245/45 tires that are filled to 35psi. To tell you the truth I think my ride quality improved when I switched from stock 18s to 20s

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Same scene with me too. Upped the inflation from 32 to 36 (cold) and I like the feel a lot more.

I've given up on nitrogen (it was always in my '06 C) because it was a real pain when I needed a couple of lbs added to a tire.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Be aware that the upgraded wheel package not only changes the tire size, but also changes the suspension. If you drove a 300c with the stock 18inch wheels, that car has what chrysler calls the comfort suspension. If you upgrade to the 20s, the suspension is also upgraded to what they call the touring suspension.

So it would be very difficult to judge difference based on tire size unless you yourself swapped them.

I test drove all of them 17in base, 19in awd, 18in, and 20in. I found all of them to be quite comfortable, but I prefer things a bit firmer. I chose the 20in wheel option.

Cars such as the 300S and 300 Motown already have the touring suspension and their own 20 inch wheels. So does the JV limited, which also has its own wheels.

So it really isn't a fair comparison unless you include the fact that upgrading the wheels actually changes the suspension.

Reactions: tarheelcracker

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Hello All,

Just bought a new 2013 300C with 3.6 about 900 miles ago. Really like the vehicle. I have a question about the ride quality. The demonstrator I drove before buying had factory 18 inch tires on it and rode very good as I remember. I took delivery of the one I bought after the right color, options for the most part, and such was found at another dealer and transferred to mine. It wound up having the upgraded 20 inch wheels and tires on it. It may just be me but the ride seems much harsher after I got the vehicle home and drove it more. My question is: will the upgraded tires actually cause a rougher or harder ride due to the one inch difference in the side wall heights and should it be that noticeable. I am running 32 PSI which is recommended and have been considering lowering the pressure to 30 PSI to see if it would make a difference. Just thought some one may know the answer before I start modifying air pressures. Also would lowering the pressure create a worse problem of possible tire damage from normal roads because of the reduced sidewall height of the 20 inch tires if pressure is reduced. I have no idea what the tire pressures were on the first one I drove so comparison may not be equal.

Thanks for any responses,

Charles
I mentioned in my previous note, but if you check your sticker you'll see what is different. The 300C has a softer suspension with the 18 inch wheel. That suspension is upgraded with the 20 inch option. So you have a slightly stiffer suspension as well. I happen to like it on mine, though I found the 18in combo to do just as well.

·
Administrator
19,626 Posts
Tire inflation pressure and sidewall height will affect the stiffness of the ride. And as pointed out, some tires have stiffer sidewalls based normally on their durometer (wear) rating. The higher the wear rating, the stiffer the sidewall can be. A Z speed rated tire will also be a bit stiffer than it's S rated cousin with the same sidewall height.

And of course, there are some differences in suspension spring stiffness when comparing different models. My SRT8 has a higher spring rate than a C and a Touring or Base unit.

Having said all that, I am on 20's, running 245/45x20 front and 275/40x20 rear tires, slammed on KW V1 coilovers with Hotchkis swaybars and Pedders bushings. It's tight but not obnoxiously bouncy. Probably harsher than most would like but it suits me just fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate all the responses. My quality of ride is not a deal breaker in any way and it may just be me more than the car. I traded in a 2001 town car that rode really good as did the one I drove before buying. As I said the one I bought seems to be just a little harsher when the tires hit concrete cracks or small bumps in the black top. Like some of you said, the next set of tires may be better. These are Firestone Firehawk 245/45/20 with 99v on the sidewall. Again I appreciate the input. Lots of good information on this site.

Charles

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Yes, tires make the difference, but this exact scenario has more to do with the options on the car. The 2nd gen 300C comes standard with the comfort suspension and 18inch wheels.
An upgrade option over that gives you 20 in wheels, which will add the touring suspension, which would be somewhat stiffer.

I had an '05 300c which came with 18's but the suspension was stiffer than stock. This was all changed in the 2nd gen cars.

I wasn't sure which I wanted, so I drove the following:

Base with 17
Base AWD with 19
300C with 18
300S with 20
300C with 20 v8
300C with 20 v6

I wound up with the v6 300C with the 20in wheels + touring suspension. I found all of them competent, but I like a bit more handling and I wasn't going for the SRT (which actually has an adjustable suspension with 3 modes in the 2nd gen cars).

I didn't see anywhere that you could get the 20in wheels without the suspension. The option is packaged together. Likewise, you can't opt out of the 19in wheel on the AWD base car.

So even before we consider tires in this specific case, there is a suspension upgrade that we must contend with to understand the ride difference.

That aside, I'm not sure I like the stock firestones that come on the 20in equipped 300C. They aren't bad, but I had Yokohama's on my cool V, which I'd say are superior.

·
Administrator
19,626 Posts
The "99v" on that Firehawk is the load index rating. That translates into a tire that is rated at 1709 pounds at that corner. There are quite a few Firehawk tires available. What else does it say on the sidewall?

OBTW Firestone's website sucks when it comes to providing technical details. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They have Firehawk GT, 245/45R20, 99V, M+S, DOT W208, 6TO, 3912, Treadwear 460, Traction A, Temperature A, and the 1709 pound load rating at maximum PSI of 51. That is all except some safety stuff about explosion and 40 PSI max to seat the bead etc.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a 300 base model that came with 17" tires. The ride was whisper quiet on the freeway.

I picked up a set of 20" S wheels for it and it is MUCH noiser. Sometimes I wish I kept the stock 17's for road trips and things like that.

The 20's look cool as hell though so whatever.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, tires make the difference, but this exact scenario has more to do with the options on the car. The 2nd gen 300C comes standard with the comfort suspension and 18inch wheels.
An upgrade option over that gives you 20 in wheels, which will add the touring suspension, which would be somewhat stiffer.

I had an '05 300c which came with 18's but the suspension was stiffer than stock. This was all changed in the 2nd gen cars.

I wasn't sure which I wanted, so I drove the following:

Base with 17
Base AWD with 19
300C with 18
300S with 20
300C with 20 v8
300C with 20 v6

I wound up with the v6 300C with the 20in wheels + touring suspension. I found all of them competent, but I like a bit more handling and I wasn't going for the SRT (which actually has an adjustable suspension with 3 modes in the 2nd gen cars).

I didn't see anywhere that you could get the 20in wheels without the suspension. The option is packaged together. Likewise, you can't opt out of the 19in wheel on the AWD base car.

So even before we consider tires in this specific case, there is a suspension upgrade that we must contend with to understand the ride difference.

That aside, I'm not sure I like the stock firestones that come on the 20in equipped 300C. They aren't bad, but I had Yokohama's on my cool V, which I'd say are superior.
Do you have any idea what it would cost to changeout springs on a 300C with 20” tires to the springs that come on the 300C with 18” tires?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts