Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a few of the threads which touch on the tires for the SRT and have a couple of questions:

1) Someone mentioned the 255s on the back give the car a good "stance". I think I know what this means. It's an aesthetic description, right? Since I've never seen a SRT in person, I've been surfing photos in search of this perspective, but I've yet to find one that captures the feel of the tire width on this car. Does any one have a photo that reflects the car's "stance"? It would probably be one that is shot low to the ground from the rear, without a bright overhead light source that would cast the undercarriage into dark shadow.

2) Now a stupid question. Since this will be my first "performance" car, I was surprised to learn that the front and rear tires were a different size. I'm used to rotating my tires every 10 to 20K, because the front wheels wear out first, right? Does this mean I'll have to replace all four tires when the front ones wear? But then I was thinking, maybe a couple of burnouts even things out anyway?

Thanks,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tire Stance

First off, I too am NOT an owner of an SRT8 nor I have I seen one in person.
I seem to be in the same boat as you. Waiting to see when the local dealer
gets one so I can at least drive one.

BMW has been staggering the size of the front and rear tires for quite some time. The 540 Sport has had this set up for several years, as well as the
7 series. My experience after driving my 528 Sport for 80,000 is that the rear
tires wear sooner than the front. I too was surprised to experience this thinking that the front would wear faster mainly because of the steering component. My 528 does not smoke the rear tires, so burn outs did not wear the rears faster. When it came time to rotate the tires I checked the BMW manual and found that rotation is not recommend. There has been miles of internet discussion about this. My 528 Sport has the same size tires front and rear 235 45Z R17 so front to rear rotating is possible. I have rotated the tires anyway. The 540 Sport and 545 Sport folks have different tire sizes front and rear and do not have the option.

I would assume that owners of the SRT8 would confirm that after a proper breakin period that the rear tires would be the first to go after contending with the HP and Torgue of the 6.1 Hemi. I live in snow country and if the SRT8 is my next car I will probably get the F1 tires with disimilar sizes front and rear, and buy 18" wheels and snow tires for my winter driving needs.

I look forward to the photos you requested from SRT8 owners to see if size really does matter ........

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Gorgle, the SRT-8 has an optional tire selection with the same tire size all around and giving you the ability to rotate. So, if you want to rotate go for the all-season 245/45/20 .

·
Registered
750 Posts
All seasons - you can rotate

Hi Gorgle

The stance is the slightly nose-down, tail-up attitude the car has.

The factory may have done this on purpose partly to allow for rear end squat on hard acceleration. The Bilstein high-pressure gas shocks also may have a contributing "push up" effect.

Johnny Vig's point about caliper interference on 18" rims is valid

Catch 22 on the tire choice:

At the moment if you intend to drive the car in winter at all, then the all season 245 would be the tire of choice.

They have mixed reviews though

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surv...Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+RS-A&commentStatus=P

I would prefer Toyo Proxes or Bridgestone Potenza re950's but can't find a listing in SRT8 size yet.

SRT8 would be on the wicked side to drive in snow

Hey -- isn't that BC's sasquatch youve got there? :)

http://collection.nlc-bnc.ca/100/200/301/nlc-bnc/heroes_lore_yore_can_hero-ef/1998/esasq.htm

Zilla :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. It looks like I've got a few things to save for now: gas, new radio, & new tires. I'm sure it will be worth it ;)

Re. Sasquatch: I'm not sure I know what you mean. Although coincidentally, I think this picture was snapped the last time I was out west on vacation.

·
Registered
750 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
Gorgle said:
Does this mean I'll have to replace all four tires when the front ones wear?
Ha....No, it means you will have to replace all four tires when the REAR ones wear out. :D

Personally I don't care because I can't wait to replace them with 275's all the way around.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
vvv90 said:
Ha....No, it means you will have to replace all four tires when the REAR ones wear out. :D

Personally I don't care because I can't wait to replace them with 275's all the way around.
Proceed with caution on trying to fit a 275 up front. It may rub on the outside front fender and require rolling of the fender lip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts